What is a good salary in UK at present?

Soldato
I WFH *and* get decent payrises because I work hard (and I have a decent manager who understands how to manage home workers). Life ain't always fair, but a lot of the time, you get what you give...
We tried that in the first year of covid, came in on weekends to help out, that sort of thing. Still got a **** payrise. I'm looking for other jobs, but I'm in engineering and there aren't many remote jobs for that field, and I refuse to acknowledge any job advert that lists "competitive salary". My manage is pretty poor, no people skills, even told me he didn't get a payrise when he became a manager, as though it should be accepted to not get a payrise. Some people seem to get them, but it's definitely the ones who can BS their way through life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We tried that in the first year of covid, came in on weekends to help out, that sort of thing. Still got a **** payrise. I'm looking for other jobs, but I'm in engineering and there aren't many remote jobs for that field, and I refuse to acknowledge any job advert that lists "competitive salary". My manage is pretty poor, no people skills, even told me he didn't get a payrise when he became a manager, as though it should be accepted to not get a payrise. Some people seem to get them, but it's definitely the ones who can BS their way through life.

You are in a field that is in demand. You hold the power. Find a new job that suits you then hand in your notice with that big grin on your face.

Hardest thing for me was leaving the company I had been at for 15 years. Best decision ever did and wish I had done it sooner.

Soldato
You are in a field that is in demand. You hold the power. Find a new job that suits you then hand in your notice with that big grin on your face.

Hardest thing for me was leaving the company I had been at for 15 years. Best decision ever did and wish I had done it sooner.
Searching is very exhausting. I checked through 100 jobs on linked in, 95% were software. It's the same story when I've looked at indeed and monster. Unfortunately searching for "engineering" jobs, must be the broadest field, especially when other jobs that I wouldn't class as engineer come up. The problem is that I'm a mechanical guy, and I've got some experience in designing stuff (tbh I suspect I'd do a better job than some of the drawing office guys), my main experience is building things and general aptitude for that. This country isn't really for that type of experience anymore :p .

Caporegime
Searching is very exhausting. I checked through 100 jobs on linked in, 95% were software. It's the same story when I've looked at indeed and monster. Unfortunately searching for "engineering" jobs, must be the broadest field, especially when other jobs that I wouldn't class as engineer come up. The problem is that I'm a mechanical guy, and I've got some experience in designing stuff (tbh I suspect I'd do a better job than some of the drawing office guys), my main experience is building things and general aptitude for that. This country isn't really for that type of experience anymore :p .

You have to narrow down the engineering. What type of engineer are you?

Mechanical engineer? Names change constantly, and you have to keep up to date sadly. Also 'engineering' so feel your pain.

Also have you got your linkdln setup? I've been offered two engineering style jobs via it and had other offers for interviews.

Soldato
Is there not something more specific you can search though? I would imagine a software engineer wouldn't search that as it's very broad, surely they would search 'java developer' or something quite specific?

Soldato
You have to narrow down the engineering. What type of engineer are you?

Mechanical engineer? Names change constantly, and you have to keep up to date sadly. Also 'engineering' so feel your pain.

Also have you got your linkdln setup? I've been offered two engineering style jobs via it and had other offers for interviews.
I'm not sure how I'd describe it tbh. While it's probably classed as a technician, the amount I do that it waaay above that is unreal. I don't just set thing ups, I design tests, parts, build it. Have to write procedures, manage small projects. Quite hard to put a name to it. I have got LinkedIn setup, but the search feature on there is pretty poor imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
My pal that works in 999 dispatch in London I think earns around 50k. I'm not that money focused so earn around 100k but most of my peers are on 150k-180k for doing much less interesting work. And before you kick off too much, rent + council tax here is about 3k a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
In 2000 I was on what was a very good salary of £38k, so good that the banks were all bending over backwards to give me gold cards. 20 years later and compound inflation got me to £100K which is actually a big pay cut. I dont know the cost of living outside of London, but in the Capital you for sure need around 50-60k base to actually rent your own little flat. Less than that and you're still student sharing. After tax me and the waifu have about 3-4 grand left over and we are dumping as much as we can afford into savings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Family of 4 subsisting off of a gross salary of £44k. Wife doesn't work because there's no point, it would just make matters even worse with child care.

If it wasn't for my dad being here I'd be saying to my wife to leave the UK. I highly doubt I could even find a job paying my current salary if I lost it. My dad would need to pay my mortgage or I'd have to leave the UK.

What concerns me is my kids future as I don't see any of the problems being fixed in the next 10-20 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you had to quote a good salary in current UK what is it and why?

OP is asking for a 'good salary'

National Living Wage approx £22,000
UK Average approx £33,000 (I think mega high earners may skew results)

I'd say enough to be able to put down a deposit and pay for mortgage on a 'decent house' whilst being able to afford a holiday once a year.

Can only go on my area in the Midlands. You don't get much for under £200k, between £250-£300 gets you something ok, yet far from luxury. I've just looked at holidays for next year, my god, they aren't cheap either.
Taking that into account plus the cost of living, food, petrol, utilities etc etc

House £275,000 less 10% = £247,500
10% deposit = £27,500

Save £764 for 3yrs for your deposit (that's between two people, £382)
25yr Mortgage = £1,624

I'm going to assume you will be married or have a partner and running one car, so will half everything where possible, mortgage for one person then is £812 a month etc

£225 food (5 week month)
£150 gas/elec
£812 mortgage (should be no more than 30/40% of post tax income)
£80 council tax
£50 sky/bb
£28 water
£7 tv
life insurance £7
house insurance £6
car insurance £40
car loan maybe or a loan of some kind (£20k over 5yrs /2) £194
fuel £150 (£300 / 2 - subjective i know)
phone £10
savings for a holiday £125
+ general savings/buffer ????

£1,877

Salary of £30,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £1,956.00 (£79 left)
Salary of £40,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £2,489.33 (£612 left)
Salary of £50,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £3,022.67 (£1145 left)

I'm going to say a good salary would be around £40k to have a decent standard of living? Now....if these two decide to have kids, that's when things change massively. Not only costs in raising them, but usually one parent goes part-time and/or has childcare costs. £40k doesn't get you a luxury life-style, even if both are earning the same which is not usually the case. Lots of relationships have one earning quite a bit more than the other.

Unexpected curve balls (illness, redundancy, relationship breakdown, child maintenance) can have a devastating impact. Then there are people who like to live in coffee shops, spend lots on social events, eating out, clubs/gym so they will need a bit more left at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My pal that works in 999 dispatch in London I think earns around 50k. I'm not that money focused so earn around 100k but most of my peers are on 150k-180k for doing much less interesting work. And before you kick off too much, rent + council tax here is about 3k a month.

That is the kicker. My wage is considerably less than yours but when rent + council tax is 3k a month that is £2500 a month more than I pay. Then when you look into 40% tax threshold plus the extra 30k a year I would need to find to pay the mortgage I am coming close to 100k a year salary needed minimum. Then by the time 60 comes and you want to retire you are basically the same as someone on 50k a year in the countryside.

Then if you achieve that you have to deal with the traffic and everything else that comes with living in an oversaturated city.

Obviously if you have kids then they will have massive benefit when you die but from a selfish point of view it isn't really fair for the people who live in London. It must be close to living a third world life if you are on living wage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP is asking for a 'good salary'

National Living Wage approx £22,000
UK Average approx £33,000 (I think mega high earners may skew results)

I'd say enough to be able to put down a deposit and pay for mortgage on a 'decent house' whilst being able to afford a holiday once a year.

Can only go on my area in the Midlands. You don't get much for under £200k, between £250-£300 gets you something ok, yet far from luxury. I've just looked at holidays for next year, my god, they aren't cheap either.
Taking that into account plus the cost of living, food, petrol, utilities etc etc

House £275,000 less 10% = £247,500
10% deposit = £27,500

Save £764 for 3yrs for your deposit (that's between two people, £382)
25yr Mortgage = £1,624

I'm going to assume you will be married or have a partner and running one car, so will half everything where possible, mortgage for one person then is £812 a month etc

£225 food (5 week month)
£150 gas/elec
£812 mortgage (should be no more than 30/40% of post tax income)
£80 council tax
£50 sky/bb
£28 water
£7 tv
life insurance £7
house insurance £6
car insurance £40
car loan maybe or a loan of some kind (£20k over 5yrs /2) £194
fuel £150 (£300 / 2 - subjective i know)
phone £10
savings for a holiday £125
+ general savings/buffer ????

£1,877

Salary of £30,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £1,956.00 (£79 left)
Salary of £40,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £2,489.33 (£612 left)
Salary of £50,000 less 5% pension = a monthly take home of £3,022.67 (£1145 left)

I'm going to say a good salary would be around £40k to have a decent standard of living? Now....if these two decide to have kids, that's when things change massively. Not only costs in raising them, but usually one parent goes part-time and/or has childcare costs. £40k doesn't get you a luxury life-style, even if both are earning the same which is not usually the case. Lots of relationships have one earning quite a bit more than the other.

Unexpected curve balls (illness, redundancy, relationship breakdown, child maintenance) can have a devastating impact. Then there are people who like to live in coffee shops, spend lots on social events, eating out, clubs/gym so they will need a bit more left at the end of the month.
As a couple our mortgage is 900 ppm (chunky debt of 200k) and our gas/electric is 150ppm
Food is probably 300 a month for both of us
So much less than above
No car loan too

But savings for holiday is 3-4* that a month. About 400ish

1000 into joint account per month from me and 850 from gf covers everything from petrol, to dog insurance, to council tax.

I usually have 2000-2200ish (bonus months increase that) to save/spend per month (but holidays comes out of that, not joint account). Emergency bills also come out of that 2k figure too. Spending will be food while out, lego, clothes, other things just for me.

Without kids it would be much less from the child care figures I see.

I think our salaries are good without kids (despite only being 80k combined) but would feel average with kids.

Last edited:
Associate
100k here, but 5 children and a stay at home wife. No chance of moving out of this 3 bed house so it's basically squeeze everyone in and hope for the best

Back
Top Bottom