What is the Perfect Monitor

Associate
Same was said about 4:3 etc. :p ;) :D

It does seem like more people generally prefer a wider FOV/display especially for media consumption, which is why 16.10 lost to 16.9. Even the new phones this year are jumping to a wider aspect ratio. And we will probably see some more 21.9 laptops at some point too given the increased horizontal space, we even got a powerhouse 21.9 laptop now as well:

The only thing that really holds backs 21.9 TVs is that the vast majority of TV shows are shot in 16.9, if TV shows switched to 21.9 then we should see a lot more 21.9 TVs made and as a result consoles would also switch to 21.9 or at least support it.

But yeah I don't expect 16.9 to go anywhere for a very long time, if/when TV shows switch to 21.9 then I expect to see a huge surge.

Just had a look at steam survey and 4k has gone up a lot:

ZD0cyuI.png

21.9 res. still in the lead for now..... :p Either way, that still isn't bad considering 4k monitors have been around for far longer, as well as a far bigger choice as well as being cheaper.

But once again, remember that 4k is just a resolution it and the benefits a higher resolution/PPI brings isn't limited to 16.9.

EDIT:

Heck, even 21.9 aspect ratio isn't exactly limited to dedicated 21.9 displays as you can create custom 21.9 resolutions on 16.9 displays.

I take those "surveys" with a grain of salt. 1/4 of all people on steam use the resolution "1366x768"? You mean to tell me 1/4 of all Steam users are using a laptop resolution from 15 years ago?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
huh, cryptic message. lemme thing..... aaaa
Is it the LG 32UD99 coming out at 100+hz refresh rate and Freesync 2? :D
That would be lovely. And don't forget, no aggressive anti glare coating!

Trouble is, that costs too much for a fake HDR screen. No value for money there at all.

Caporegime
I take those "surveys" with a grain of salt. 1/4 of all people on steam use the resolution "1366x768"? You mean to tell me 1/4 of all Steam users are using a laptop resolution from 15 years ago?
Of course they aren't exactly accurate but they do give a good idea as to the trend of hardware & software.

Also, a lot of laptops (even new ones) are still sold with that resolution. Having had to offer advice many times for people wanting a laptop for a certain budget (usually between £300-400) with good/certain specs in other areas, the screen resolution has 8/10 times had be sacrificed to 1366x768. 1920x1080 with good specs and decent pricing is a lot better now, but surprisingly that only really started about 2-3 years ago.

As for a 1/4 of steam users using a laptop, I wouldn't be surprised in all honesty, as having a small all in one easily portable device for "casual" gaming is a lot easier/more desirable than having a dedicated PC tower, not to mention, this is the preferred choice for a lot of students.

Associate
Ok, I'm making a survey so we can figure out what sort of features people value. Here's the release candidate:

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/EKdh9wdT (<-- closed)

Like said, it's a release candidate and I'm now first asking for opinions and suggestions to make the final adjustments to the survey, so if someone sees a critical feature missing, etc., then fire away. I can't promise I'll accept and implement every suggestion, but I'll consider them, nonetheless.

Note:
I will reset the answers before I release the final version. So feel free to answer now, but please remember to answer in the final draft, as well. I will launch the final version later today or tomorrow, at the latest. I will make a separate thread for it.

EDIT:
I have closed the release candidate, and opened the final survey:

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/0PZ2NmAF

Check here for the dedicated survey thread:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aatus-monitor-survey-april-2017.18774925/

Last edited:
Soldato
That's actually a pretty thorough survey, will complete :)

*edit* Well, I'm probably the outlier, but there's my 2p for what it's worth :)

(Basically I want a large, high quality screen with "sensible" QHD resolution for working on and better than 60hz refresh rate. I love 16:10 even if the world doesn't, and elimination of dead pixels and BLB are super important, while having PWM is a total deal breaker.)

Last edited:
Associate
Nice survey just completed it.

Could possibly do with the addition of my suggestion about backlight strobing/ULMB support but otherwise pretty comprehensive.

Caporegime
Nice survey indeed! Done.

Essentially:

- I am happy to pay an extra £300 for OLED tech over IPS/VA
- don't want gsync, want freesync
- want no backlight bleed at all and preferably no dead pixels with little IPS glow
- don't want speakers
- not too bothered about depth/housing etc. as long as glossy plastic isn't used....
- much rather have OLED over LCD HDR
- has to have great motion clarity/response times and <10ms input lag would be nice

All in all, my absolute max I would be willing to pay for an OLED 34" 1440 60-100HZ freesync monitor is still £800. Any more and I would rather cough up the extra to get a £1600 55" HDR OLED 4K TV

Last edited:
Associate
@Marak:
Backlight strobing could indeed be added as a general feature. As for ULMB, I initially had it as an option, but removed it because I think I read somewhere that G-Sync and ULMB always go hand-in-hand, anyway...? (though apparently they can't work together simultaneously)

Could anyone confirm whether there are any
A) G-Sync monitors without ULMB?
B) non-G-Sync monitors with ULMB?

Apparently ULMB is a successor to the Lightboost, so I guess some older G-Sync monitors don't necessarily have ULMB?

Additional question:
What's the difference between generic backlight strobing and Lightboost/ULMB?

Associate

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
A) The recent AOC Agon AG352UCG model has G-Sync but no ULMB

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm

B) Not with ULMB but the Eizo Foris FG2421 and the more recent EIZO Foris FS2735 have their own built-in strobing which does not require a specific GPU or OS to enable. Just enable it in the monitor settings. For me this is ideal.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_foris_fs2735.htm#blur
That monitor looks too expensive after looking at the reviews imo.

Associate
In order of importance:
+Full RGB, GB-r or QLED backlighting.
+Glossy film coating.
+ATW Polarizer film to reduce IPS glow.
+IPS
+32" 3840x2160 UHD resolution
+Full Array LEDs
+Low latency game mode
+120hz refresh rate
+10bit colour
+HDR
+Insect proof housing
+External power supply for better reliability
Currently there aren't any panels that come remotely close to the ideal.

Soldato
Just to add a few to the the other points mentioned:

As small a bezel as possible.
I'd prefer a remote to change the setting than faffy hardware buttons.
A decent freesyc range, lets say 30-144.

Soldato
24-27inch
not curved
OLED
HDR
1440p
144hz
Sub 4ms response time.

All the talk of big screens is great but not really what I personally like to use.

Soldato
Daniel, maybe you should listen to the engineers from LG instead of asking here. What's the best monitor LG produce?

100Hz 16:10 2560x1600 or 2880x1800 with VVR. Is that possible?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Daniel, maybe you should listen to the engineers from LG instead of asking here. What's the best monitor LG produce?

100Hz 16:10 2560x1600 or 2880x1800 with VVR. Is that possible?
Well, while Daniel is at it, he should also ask what upper management and the CEO want also?

23" 1920x1080 60hz TN panel for £999.95 with high markup for ocuk. So not only will LG and Daniel be happy, so will Gibbo. Who cares about what the customer wants anyway...

:p

Back
Top Bottom