What is the Perfect Monitor

Soldato
So after doing a lot of looking around and at what I would like as my ultimate monitor and compare that to what is out there at the moment, LG are pretty close to getting things started with their current LM375UW1. There are some big steps to the next level though and we are probably talking 2020 to see some this happen:

• Screen size: 37.5" 3840x1600 (2:4:1) Curved
  • Screen Type: Future QLED (the currently being developed light-reacting nanoparticles which provide their own specific RGB color emissions. Thus they are meant to be like OLED on steroids and allow for the super extreme peak brightness (see below)
  • Dolby Vision; more specifically 4000 Nits peak brightness and 12-bit colour, since LG is already on board with this too it would make sense for them to pull it off. Although if LG have something in the works to get to the ultimate 10,000 Nits that Dolby Vision can provide that would be awesome too.
  • 144Hz - 240Hz refresh rate. I am happy with 144Hz but I am sure some people who are in the pro sceen and looking for the ultimate monitor would be asking for 240Hz (although I think all current 240Hz monitors are actually 120Hz and interpolling frames to give 240Hz rather than the true refresh rate).
  • Freesync 2 because that seems ideal with where AMD are and whats coming from them and what seems to be the best solution to that side of things
  • True 5ms or less response time
  • bezeless frame
  • Vesa wall mount with no stand option
  • All carbon/alu frame finish
  • remote for controls rather than switches on the monitor (other than a touch on/off sensor)
  • pre-calibrated after production so out the box correction with useful modes
  • No speakers needed
  • Input for USB-C connections x 3 for perfierals such as mouse, keyboard and headphones or charge mobile off it etc
  • Display port over USB-C
  • No external power brick being needed
  • Not worried about some extra thickness and actually if it was slightly wider at the ends so the curve was sunk into the frame that is fine.
  • Priced accordingly but would expect it to be around the £5-6k mark

Last edited:
Soldato
That isn't even remotely realistic pricing for such a display. Maybe in a decade...

To be fair, I'm asking a lot with the OLED for sure. Though if i'm being more realistic, I'd be happy with a decent alternative panel (IPS?) in it's place in the meantime, so long as it can handle HDR and still be quick.

Soldato

Definition of consumer

1. : one that consumes: such as: one that utilizes economic goods. Many consumers make purchases on the Internet.
Welcome to English!

Wouldn't this monitor be aimed at prosumers or maybe even ultasumers? Ie people that eat monitors on a professional level. Either way I'll go with the engineers and inventors over the sumers.

Associate
All requests seem to be for a monitor combining existing technology. Personally I want something that may never see the light of day.

High refresh rate OLED mimicking CRT with each pixel fading to black the moment it is brightly lit. None of this ****-poor on/off LED back-light rubbish at the end of a frame. Pinnacle of motion clarity. Cash waiting.

Soldato
All requests seem to be for a monitor combining existing technology. Personally I want something that may never see the light of day.

High refresh rate OLED mimicking CRT with each pixel fading to black the moment it is brightly lit. None of this ****-poor on/off LED back-light rubbish at the end of a frame. Pinnacle of motion clarity. Cash waiting.

You'll want next level QLED then not OLED ;)

Reason being we are talking about their own pixel by pixel RGB colour emission which would be the pinnacle of what you can do with a pixel at this time. And the reason for those requests being more grounded than generally some super uber magic tech we don't know about is because it adds nothing to feed back to LG to say just make it better than it is.

We can only take the latest tech and ask that to matched together in a screen of our own personal design and requirements. I mean for myself as long as the TV isn't deeper than 50mm for instance I have no problem as I am happy to create an opening in the stud wall where it would go and sink it into the wall as I will always be face on to the monitor. Others though want to wall mount or desk mount them are likely to not want any thickness and the thinner the better.

That is a compromise I would make in real engineering terms because I want the tech to work and work well and generally in that case it means at this time we cannot have the roll up screens that have been shown off because they come with compromises.

Now if we look at it another way where we have a sub box that does all the processing and the screen is connected via USB-C to this box that does all the things we want then that is a different thing again.

Caporegime
Wouldn't this monitor be aimed at prosumers or maybe even ultasumers? Ie people that eat monitors on a professional level. Either way I'll go with the engineers and inventors over the sumers.
Enjoy the lack of progress/advancement then! :D

As much as I don't like asus in many ways, I'm thankful that they are going to "hopefully" be leading the monitor industry into a new age with their upcoming full array local dimming monitor, if other monitor manufacturers have any sense, they will do their best to one up them and push forward with OLED/QLED.

Soldato

Yep becuase what needed in the high end monitor matk

As much as I don't like asus in many ways, I'm thankful that they are going to "hopefully" be leading the monitor industry into a new age with their upcoming full array local dimming monitor, if other monitor manufacturers have any sense, they will do their best to one up them and push forward with OLED/QLED.

Because what we need in the monitor market are more terrible Asus ROG monitors? That must be some kind of new marketing for ultrasumers. People that eat monitors without looking?

Caporegime
Was looking for a post from gibbo regarding something for another thread and came across this one, essentially explains why monitors are a lot more expensive now (aside from other factors such as brexit):

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

Essentially we are paying for companies incompetence for when it comes to QC :o

Makes you wonder just how many people are RMA/returning the monitors to make monitors so much more expensive....

Last edited:
Associate
But in his message there's another thing that hasn't been given enough attention:

IPS glow =/= backlight bleed

IPS glow is an inherent drawback of the IPS technology, and from what I've understood, there is usually very little variance among the units of the same model. In other words, if you have IPS glow on your monitor, then swapping it for another of the same model won't help much, if any.

And what's worse, many people mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed. This is customers' incompetence. So to spread the message, here's yet again the telltale signs to tell them apart, when you have an IPS monitor and you see light patches in places where there shouldn't be any:

When you move your head around from side to side, up and down, if the light output changes, then it's IPS glow. But if the light patches are visible from every angle, then it's backlight bleed.

If it's backlight bleed and it's disturbing you enough that you're ready to return it, then by all means, return it or swap it. That's indeed manufacturers fault for having bad QC (quality control). But do note that if you swap it (especially via manufacturers' own routes), then you face the possibility of getting a used unit back, which may or may not be better. They might also simply refuse to accept the "fault".

If it's IPS glow, and you can't stand it, then by all means, you can still return it (inside the retailer's return interval). But don't swap it, as the situation MOST LIKELY won't improve. Now, with some other model using a different IPS panel, you MIGHT see some change, but again, not necessarily for the better. Therefore, it might be more beneficial to change to a model with a different panel TYPE, altogether. Main alternatives are TN and VA.

TN:
Fastest pixel response times. But if IPS glow is bothering you, then there's a high chance that TN's color inversion is even more disturbing. Also, colors are not so stellar, especially on the cheaper models. And because of the color inversion drawback, manufacturers have also heavily limited their size options (mostly up to 27", few 28", one 32").

VA:
VA has "gamma crush", but it has apparently improved quite a lot, as I don't notice any of it on normal usage with my monitor, at least. VA also has the deepest blacks and good colors in general (quite close to IPS). But it also has the highest pixel response times. It's by no means as bad as it used to be, but it's definitely worse than most TN or IPS panels. Some weaker and slower VA panels can visibly smear, but mostly I'd categorize it as blurring (so check the reviews before buying!).

Last edited:
Associate
Essentially we are paying for companies incompetence for when it comes to QC :o

Makes you wonder just how many people are RMA/returning the monitors to make monitors so much more expensive....

It's just a pathetic attempt by monitor manufacturers to blame their own customers for poor panel yields &/or QC issues. If this kind of thing ever went to court the manufacturers would lose - badly.

Soldato
Think we are getting a little of topic here guys.......

You expected a nerd forum to stay on topic? :) But seriously, if you have one takeaway from this thread, it's that we all disagree about every spec there is, but we're not afraid of paying for quality. Most of us seem to want some sort of premium option that we're failing to find in the current lineup. I don't think you need to be too afraid of a lack of market for high spec/price screens, but you do have to deliver them with ultra-tight QC.

Worth checking in with Aatu about his survey thread if you want quantitative feedback about stats and technologies. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aatus-monitor-survey-april-2017.18774925/ The results from that will probably be informative :)

Associate
Mine:
  • No (front-facing) logo/branding
  • Monotone slate grey (all matte, no gloss)
  • OSD that is well thought out, with a joystick
  • 34"
  • IPS
  • 3440 x 1440
  • Quantum Dots
  • 144Hz
  • G-Sync
*HDR would be very welcome, but i'm happy to wait until it's matured on the smaller models in terms of pricing and developer/content support.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom