• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is the point in Vram amount?.

Associate
With that amount of Vram left why doesnt the game use it for more power to get better frames?.

Think of VRAM more as something that unlocks the ability to use larger textures and resolutions. As long as your card has it covered, there's no problem. Even if you do run out of VRAM, it's not necessarily going to wreck your game. First of all, many games allocate more things in VRAM than they actually use, so your VRAM shows full but really only part of that is being deployed. Secondly, as mentioned here, there are opportunities to swap things from main (slower) system RAM. Although this does create a large bottleneck it's not necessarily instantly catastrophic - that depends on the game and the amount of data.

With a 8gb 1080 you have enough VRAM for most situations, even at 4K. There will be some games and settings that cause hitching now and then. Don't worry if the VRAM isn't full - in fact that's probably a good sign. Even if it is full, try the game first before lowering settings. Different engines allocate in different ways.

Associate
To all people claimed 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory will not be enough in 2019 games but it pointless when you have massive shared GPU memory, you will not run out of memory with both 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory. If you have 16GB system RAM then you should have 8GB shared GPU memory so GPUs like GTX 1660 3GB will have 11GB total GPU memory and GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 6GB will have 14GB total GPU memory.

If Radeon VII owners have 32GB system RAM, they will have incredible massive 32GB GPU total memory. :cool:

I hope from the smiley that this is sarcasm but there have been a few odd things in this thread so just to be sure ;)

Permabanned
DDR4 is extremely slow, for comparison - the HBM2 of the VII with its 1024 GB/s is as fast as some on-die cache on a CPU. Which is one hell impressive ! :eek:

Soldato
Depends what it's allocating and how. Playing at only 1080p I'm not surprised it ran fairly well. Not everything allocated is actually used and it's unlikely your system RAM really ended up being used to swap data at any crucial periods.

When I had GTX 1070, I cannot played Wolfenstein 2 and alt-tab to desktop and opened Edge at same time, it caused to froze and GTX 1070 is too slow at 1440p and 4K but this time with Turing it no longer freeze so I can alt-tab to desktop to multi-tasking opened Edge to this thread and uploaded pictures to imgur. Impressive.

1440p:

783weGk.png

3DyvdGz.jpg

4K:

MBecvXL.png

g47yHc2.jpg

Damn very impressive performance on 1440p and 4K and it still not run out of memory. :D

It should have no issue at 8K DSR but I dont have 4K HDTV yet.

16K textures looked amazing. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
DDR4 is extremely slow, for comparison - the HBM2 of the VII with its 1024 GB/s is as fast as some on-die cache on a CPU. Which is one hell impressive ! :eek:

No, HBM2 is not hell impressive. HBCC is pointless and waste of money and 1GB is massive waste of bandwidth in games, it gave no improvement in performance.

Cant wait for DDR5, PCI Express 4.0, PCI Express 5.0, GDDR7, microSD NVMe Express and very high speed 4GB/s PCI Express 4.0 NVMe m2 SSDs and next generation 8GB/s PCI Express 5.0 NVMe m2 SSDs. :D

Soldato
AthlonXP1800 doesn't know what he is talking about.

GPU makers wouldn't bother using dedicated vram if there was no point, because it's extremely expensive.

If HBM was as cheap as DDR and didn't need active cooling, we'd probably be using that as system memory instead of DDR.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember using 980’s in SLI which used something like 4050mb out of a total 4096mb in some games at 4k. Never gave me issues though, ran well.

As to your question why don’t games use more. It won’t make any difference, they only use what they need and using more wont give you any performance increases, possibly make things worse.

Most cards these days have overkill memory amounts however a bit of future proofing is always a good thing and a lot of these cards are used for more than just games etc.

Soldato
Not true.

You are normally very sensible. This time, I think you need to go back and look at why semi-conductor manufacturers put things like cache on the die of a cpu, instead of just having RAM.

The thing is.. I know you know this... so why are you being odd about it?

Filling up the VRAM and then going to system RAM WILL slow down the frames.

Permabanned
Yes VRAM is absolutely pointless now in Windows 10!

To all people claimed 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory will not be enough in 2019 games but it pointless when you have massive shared GPU memory, you will not run out of memory with both 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory. If you have 16GB system RAM then you should have 8GB shared GPU memory so GPUs like GTX 1660 3GB will have 11GB total GPU memory and GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 6GB will have 14GB total GPU memory.

If Radeon VII owners have 32GB system RAM, they will have incredible massive 32GB GPU total memory. :cool:

Not having enough gpu memory has a negative effect on performance when the game needs to use more than what's available, a good example is Rise of the Tomb Raider, On a 4gb Fiji card the ultra texture setting made the performance minimums tank, it also caused a lot of texture pop-ins due to it transferring some of the textures in & out of the system memory, This was discussed & tested on this forum back when ROTTR released, We could see how the memory being used was moved around the system & it's effect due to the latency & speed difference of DDR3 & 4.

Soldato
Not having enough gpu memory has a negative effect on performance when the game needs to use more than what's available, a good example is Rise of the Tomb Raider, On a 4gb Fiji card the ultra texture setting made the performance minimums tank, it also caused a lot of texture pop-ins due to it transferring some of the textures in & out of the system memory, This was discussed & tested on this forum back when ROTTR released, We could see how the memory being used was moved around the system & it's effect due to the latency & speed difference of DDR3 & 4.

What are you talking about? Clearly AthlonXP1800 knows more than AMD, Intel and Nvidia and they have been wasting billions integrating and using VRAM all this time when they should have been listening to him.

Permabanned
When I had GTX 1070, I cannot played Wolfenstein 2 and alt-tab to desktop and opened Edge at same time, it caused to froze and GTX 1070 is too slow at 1440p and 4K but this time with Turing it no longer freeze so I can alt-tab to desktop to multi-tasking opened Edge to this thread and uploaded pictures to imgur. Impressive.

Crazy stuff.
What would have caused freezes if the system memory and VRAM capacity in both the cases (GTX 1070 and RTX 2080) are equal?

Soldato
I can only think that he is either A) Drunk or B) Fed up and being sarcastic.

The absolute best case scenario for exceeding memory is image pop with no fps degradation, in an EXTREMELY well written engine. I suspect that these simply do not exist.

Man of Honour

Something wrong on your end - I use a GTX1070 still as performance at 1440p is fine, no problems alt-tabbing it is perfectly smooth and responsive - instantly swapping from a game to my browser. Sure the card doesn't really cut it at 4K unless playing older stuff but that isn't really unexpected.

I don't understand some of the replies in this thread at all.

There seems to be a huge increase lately of absolute ******** being posted. One of the reasons I've not been posting as much lately as I've run out of patience with it and have nothing constructive to post in reply.

Permabanned
There seems to be a huge increase lately of absolute ******** being posted. One of the reasons I've not been posting as much lately as I've run out of patience with it and have nothing constructive to post in reply.

The problem with saying nothing is that people then come away thinking they're right because no-one disagreed or corrected them, so saying nothing makes things worse, I try to treat the forum as somewhere I come to learn so when I get something wrong please tell me.

Back
Top Bottom