What is wrong?

Soldato
As brave and as impressive the performance of the medal winners has been, team UK is way down in the medal table currently at 16th.

I know we have not had are strongest events, but the home crowd and country does not seem to have lifted are team so far. What I mean is many competitors have been beaten in the first round.

As mentioned in another thread there have been tweets and comments saying they are finding the crowd and support overwhelming and distracting.

I appreciate that in some ways but there is support and shouting at ever Olympics, maybe not directed at them.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a downer but why do many feel the opposite effect of being lifted by the crowd?

NZB

NZB

Associate
The majority of countries above us only have 3 to our 2 medals, there's still plenty of time.

Soldato
We're only in day two of a two-week event, I wouldn't call it just yet.

The only real disappointment so far I think has been Cavendish.

Wait until the sailing, cycling and rowing get going and we might see a few more medals. :)

Soldato
OP
Agreed the rowers seem to be lifted by the crowd and the sailing is going to plan. But the events like archery, volleyball, lots of swimming and of course the cycling we have failed to perform and in many cases even get past round one.

Soldato
Agreed the rowers seem to be lifted by the crowd and the sailing is going to plan. But the events like archery, volleyball, lots of swimming and of course the cycling we have failed to perform and in many cases even get past round one.

Historically when have we ever been good at volleyball though?

Just because it's a home Olympics doesn't mean we're going to automatically punch above our weight.

The home crowd might help a bit, but it's not going to perform miracles.

Soldato
lots of swimming

What swimming failures are there? Are you counting Adlington's bronze as a failure?
I havnt watched any swimming before tonight, so maybe it was different yesterday but i thought we did pretty well tonight.
Adlington got a medal and a few people qualified for their finals (Tancock, Renwick, Gemma Spofforth)

Last edited:
Soldato
I understand it's early days, but I fully expect this trend to continue. Why? Because we are not good enough, simple. There are so many barriers to entry to 'sport' in the UK that much talent is wasted, neglected or simply never nurtured to shine.

Soldato
As brave and as impressive the performance of the medal winners has been, team UK is way down in the medal table currently at 16th.

We're only on day two. I don't think GB have ever been good at these early events. We usually pick up medals from the velodrome and, more importantly, the track athletics events when they get started.

Beijing 2008, our first medal (Gold) was from the women's road race. London 2012, our first medal (Silver) from the women's road race.

Soldato
OP
What swimming failures are there? Are you counting Adlington's bronze as a failure?
I havnt watched any swimming before tonight, so maybe it was different yesterday but i thought we did pretty well tonight.
Adlington got a medal and a few people qualified for their finals (Tancock, Renwick, Gemma Spofforth)

How about the men's 4x100m relay team resting their strongest swimmer in the heats for the final. Unfortunately he now has a 4 year rest as they failed to qualify knowing that the field was extremely strong.

Adlington only scraped qualification in lane 8 which is not the most desirable lane. She did brilliantly getting Bronze but it was so close that she was even in that final.

Soldato
How about the men's 4x100m relay team resting their strongest swimmer in the heats for the final. Unfortunately he now has a 4 year rest as they failed to qualify knowing that the field was extremely strong.

Adlington only scraped qualification in lane 8 which is not the most desirable lane. She did brilliantly getting Bronze but it was so close that she was even in that final.

I can't comment on the mens 4x100m – that sounds like a bit of a **** up.

Adlington won her heat and got bronze, what more do you want from her? She was quicker in 2012 for bronze than she was in 2008 for gold which just goes to show how much more competition there is this year in the women's 400m.

If we don't get a good haul from the rowing, sailing, cycling and at least a couple more medals from the swimming then you might be on to something, but at the moment I don't think we should start panicking.

Man of Honour
Given the events so far, two medals in the first two days is good going for us. Funny but all the comments I've heard about the support have been extremely positive and it makes me wonder whether we're watching the same games.

Associate
I think it's a bit early for the doom and gloom. Yes the mens road race was a bit disappointing, but let's not forget the fantastic performances that have been made, in particular the gymnasts. Both teams in the finals, favourites in a couple of individual events. Its unprecedented in terms of British gymnastics.

Soldato
Given the events so far, two medals in the first two days is good going for us. Funny but all the comments I've heard about the support have been extremely positive and it makes me wonder whether we're watching the same games.

Indeed.

The atmosphere in London is like nothing I've ever seen.

Soldato
medalso.jpg

Looking very good today for Team GB! :)

Bound to be more to come over the week.

Go Team GB!

Soldato
I haven't been watching the games really but I was shocked at how well we're doing! Fantastic effort so far, let's hope we can do as well this week as we have done this last week and break the 50 medal mark!

Back
Top Bottom