• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
But most don't have manufacturers warranty, it's crazy. I'd rather buy a slower card that's new.

That's down to personal risk taking. Price/performance though, it's obvious why. And how long does a card normally last?

I recently bought a 1070ti, got a great price, sold my rx580, and ended up upgrading for not a great deal of expense. OK, likely no significant warranty (I got mine from OCUK clearance, so do in fact have some warranty in case it arrived dead etc), but I got a card that performs similarly to the 2060, but at a much lower price.

I literally couldn't have bought a new card that was a significant upgrade for the price that I paid for the 1070ti. Bang for buck matters, when there'd be absolutely zero more bang for the same amount of buck :D.

Associate
Because they're still very good cards more or less worth the money when compared to some new. A 1080 will out perform a 1660ti or a 2060, and can be had for a similar or lower price.

i dont doubt their performance. But personally id rather have a brand new 1660ti/2060 over a used 1080 with no warranty.

Soldato
i dont doubt their performance. But personally id rather have a brand new 1660ti/2060 over a used 1080 with no warranty.

Like I said, it depends on how risk averse you are. Financially, there was no way for me to spend to my budget, and upgrade my graphics card, without going 2nd hand.

We also need to consider what you're upgrading from. My old card would have had only a year warranty left, and my 2nd hand 1070ti has 10 months manufacturer (MSI honour cards without purchase receipts that I've seen, based on manufacturing date). Or I'd have 3 months from OCUK. So I've missed out on 2-9 months warranty, but got 40% boost in performance. If it dies in 2 years, then it's no worse than my original 580 dying at the same point, neither would be within warranty anyway.

Associate
Like I said, it depends on how risk averse you are. Financially, there was no way for me to spend to my budget, and upgrade my graphics card, without going 2nd hand.

We also need to consider what you're upgrading from. My old card would have had only a year warranty left, and my 2nd hand 1070ti has 10 months manufacturer (MSI honour cards without purchase receipts that I've seen, based on manufacturing date). Or I'd have 3 months from OCUK. So I've missed out on 2-9 months warranty, but got 40% boost in performance. If it dies in 2 years, then it's no worse than my original 580 dying at the same point, neither would be within warranty anyway.
You've clearly weighed up the options sensibly and got a decent deal. Enjoy the card :)

Associate

fair point

Soldato
Somewhere around £500 but if I could get crazy good value for £750 I might consider it. I'm not holding my breath though, historically value seems to reach a dead end around £350.

Soldato
Somewhere around £500 but if I could get crazy good value for £750 I might consider it. I'm not holding my breath though, historically value seems to reach a dead end around £350.

May have been here I said it, but if ray tracing is good enough on the 2080ti, I may well be looking towards picking up one of those 2nd hand, rather than a lower spec next gen card.

Soldato
357 votes so far and around 50% of people on one of the biggest computer enthusiast forums would not spend more that £500. Up the price to £750 and you encompass almost 70%. So for every 7 cards sold below £750 only 3 would be sold above that price, and 5 for 5 below £500. Is it any wonder the busiest and best market value/volume is in the bracket below this, and FPS:£ falls off a cliff once you approach the higher tiers.

So extrapolate the none enthusiast (impossible) but I bet they are on the <£500 not the greater than. What we going for then 90 from 100 cards sold to average consumers as discrete cards are below £300? Lower, higher? :)

Associate
357 votes so far and around 50% of people on one of the biggest computer enthusiast forums would not spend more that £500. Up the price to £750 and you encompass almost 70%. So for every 7 cards sold below £750 only 3 would be sold above that price, and 5 for 5 below £500. Is it any wonder the busiest and best market value/volume is in the bracket below this, and FPS:£ falls off a cliff once you approach the higher tiers.

So extrapolate the none enthusiast (impossible) but I bet they are on the <£500 not the greater than. What we going for then 90 from 100 cards sold to average consumers as discrete cards are below £300? Lower, higher? :)
I'm not sure what a fair price is as long as it's something achievable for 15-18 year-old interested humans working a Saturday job alongside spending money for social life, if such things exist in 2020. In my time mid 90-late's you could afford a pair of SL12010's to make music and build a 300Mhz Celeron at 450/500 like the flagship and people were making things like counter-strike and team fortress. I'd class a decent GPU alongside other creative tools as imperative to technological and creative development. £150-300 (subsidised for education and developing markets) for potential to make full use of the architecture is fair and will genuinely help things get made. It appears (at least from this forum) those most willing/able to spend are consumers rather than producers.

Last edited:
Soldato
In my time mid 90-late's you could afford a pair of SL12010's

I still have the boxes for my SL1210's and two Ortofon Concorde cartridges in a box in my loft. :) As for my Celeron 300A that was sold a looooooooooooong time ago!

I'm not sure what a fair price is as long as it's something achievable for 15-18 year-old interested humans working a Saturday job alongside spending money for social life, if such things exist in 2020.

Don't be daft, they spend it all on iPhones and pointless software effects and DLC. :(

Associate
I still have the boxes for my SL1210's and two Ortofon Concorde cartridges in a box in my loft. :) As for my Celeron 300A that was sold a looooooooooooong time ago!

Don't be daft, they spend it all on iPhones and pointless software effects and DLC. :(
Respect.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if nVidia or AMD release full chip cheaply for content creation but they're a bit **** in bragging rights and FPS?

Associate
£550 for a Strix Vega64 (cr@p card)
£510 for a MSI Mightning 7970 (gre@t card)
£440 for a Sapphire 5870 2GB (good card)
£400'ish for a GTX 9800 GX2 (alright card)

on this trend, I [might] stretch to £600 if Navi21 is truly stupendous...
but really not expecting it to be that good, and would prefer next card to fall back below £500 this time.

Back
Top Bottom