• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
If it wasn't for VR then a few hundred would be reasonable. Personally i feel that over £1000 for such a temperamental one component item used within the limited scope of PC gaming is insane, there's no way id pay anything close to that to play on a monitor. I'll pay it though because VR is more than that. Living out the fantasy as a race driver through the eyes of one is that thrilling, any money anything goes while i can afford it.

Reminds me a lot of those days in the 90's and the huge amounts id spend on the phone bills to play the absolutely amazing at the time online play. A few hundred each month, far more in that than what Nvidia are asking:/

None of those as £400 is my absolute max that I can justify spending on a GPU. Sadly it looks like it will be exactly as I predicted and I will have to drop yet another tier to a xx60 card. My £400 which was a substantial increase from what I used to pay previously, originally got me one of the best GTX 780 cards (EVGA FTW). I skipped the 900 series then decided to buy a new card after the 1000 series was out for a while. My £400 couldn't get anywhere near a 1080 so I had to drop a tier to a 1070 albeit a very good one when it was on offer. Now with the new cards looking to be even more ridiculously priced my £400 looks like it will only get me a 3060 ($400 usually does a straight conversion to £). Gaming has never been more expensive.

Sadly even 2nd hand i dont see the turing cards dropping much in price. im not sure why but 2nd hand Nvidia cards, people still like to pay a good chunk for them.
Yea, I consider it one of the perks of buying nvidia actually. I get to buy and enjoy the card for ages and if sold at the right time make very little loss :p

Sadly even 2nd hand i dont see the turing cards dropping much in price. im not sure why but 2nd hand Nvidia cards, people still like to pay a good chunk for them.
Guessing that due to the very high prices to buy them new now...

I remember when i wouldn't pay around £600 for a brand new 1080ti and was waiting for there prices to drop only a few years ago...
Then the 2080ti came out at close to double that price :eek::(:mad:

Last edited:
£400, that's inline with every graphic card i've bought inflation linked since the tnt2. I'm currently on a 5700xt. When there's a meaningful upgrade at 400-500 i'll buy it. I tend to skip every other generation. so this generation is probs a bust for me. I'll buy the next nVidia 4xxx or AMD 7xxx that comes in on price/performance at £400-500 when it lands.

I just had an epiphany! I realised that I haven't spent anything at all on GPUs for over 3 years or CPUs for over 5 years! Turing HAS saved me money as I'd usually buy two new GPU every 2 years.
That means I'm 'allowed' a major purchase! Who wants my money, roll up roll up! I'm prolly going to spend 3K for new mobo, CPU AND whatever is the best GPU for under 1K unless multi GPU
support is available or there's a card that doubles 2080ti performance. Exciting times!

I suspect it was YOU who blew it by caving and buying the 2080ti ;), you clearly blinked when you should have stood firm! At least you've got very good performance now and got it at quite a reasonable or at least not outrageous price.

I could wait no longer having no GPU was so bad, I was prepared to stick with the 1080 and not buy a 2080s though it would have been Amphere and a long wait.

Tbf that's a stunningly good upgrade for £300, one of the deals of the year no doubt :)

Yeah though its still a big price for a GPU. This and the 280hz £268.99 monitor were good deals some of the best in a long time i am grateful to OCUK as well thats why ill be buying a Zen3 bundle from them to go with the above.

Last edited:
Used to be £300, now £400 since I bought the Nitro 5700XT, could probably stretch this to £500 max for future upgrade.

I tend to keep graphic cards longer until they become bothersome and then just buy whatever's available in the market within my budget.

I don't really concern myself with what's upcoming (something always is) when I need to upgrade.

I don't really concern myself with what's upcoming (something always is) when I need to upgrade.

I think when there's an announcement regarding a new generation due in literally a couple of days, then it's probably prudent to wait and see what it is.

It gets to the stage when you've skipped a generation or two that technology has moved on to the point where it's harder to avoid an upgrade, e.g. I'm generally happy with my 1080ti performance in terms of raw grunt, but could do with this new generation to get the most from my OLED (HDMI 2.1, Gsync, 4k@60+ etc..).

Yea, I consider it one of the perks of buying nvidia actually. I get to buy and enjoy the card for ages and if sold at the right time make very little loss :p

i just dont get it?? people are still paying close to £250-£300 for 1080's whats that all about?

i just dont get it?? people are still paying close to £250-£300 for 1080's whats that all about?
Yeah I have no idea.

Because they're still very good cards more or less worth the money when compared to some new. A 1080 will out perform a 1660ti or a 2060, and can be had for a similar or lower price.
Yea but used and no warranty in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom