What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Associate
A Debian user here, across both Desktop & Server applications. Underrated in my opinion, the essentially rolling development (sid) version is fantastic for gaming. The LTS versions are rock solid for Server applications. Settled a few years ago after distro-hopping between the Arch distros (Arch itself, Manjaro) and Ubuntu STS versions.

Associate
Fedora has been by far the best experience. Up to date and zero issues with hardware support. I miss using it; macOS is terrible by comparison.

Associate
Can't believe I've only recently tried out Fedora, it's been great on my Razer Book laptop.
I think the name and the installer put me off initially; thought it was a meme distro, but nothing else I’ve tried comes close.

PopOS might be a competitor in the future, but I’m very happy with Fedora.

Associate
Mainly virtualise my Linux machines but I use:

PopOS as a sort of daily driver/Dev OS

Fedora 36 as I was testing it out and good to keep with a rpm distro etc

Kali for dabbling when playing and learning.

PopOS is a really good stable distro, might become more popular with System76 apparently opening a Euro distribution centre so might be able to get their kit in the UK easier too.

Soldato
I vowed a couple of years ago to stop distro hopping and just stick to Debian based desktops but i'm tempted to try tiny Alpine Linux now they have a desktop installer.

Soldato
Did the round like many who moved to Linux, also tried a few BSD flavours, Solaris etc . After a good few years I settled on Gentoo, then funtoo for a bit when Daniel Robbins launched that. Eventually I ended up with Archlinux, it's my goto when I need a Linux distro,generally can have it up and running in next to no time with little bloat.

Would have like to have used FreeBSD as a general desktop back in the day but at the time Nvidia support was lacking.

Occasionally I'll use a distro in VMware but no time these days to really fart so the desktop has windows 11. :(

Associate
I do the same, you can get a lot of linux goodness from WSL
Yea, main thing stopping me from having Linux on my main PC is lack of software support, specifically MS products. Ubuntu via WSL with the Docker integration is a decent alternative.

Man of Honour
I've been running Fedora KDE for a week or so on my new (to me) laptop and am very happy with it. I had a couple of gotchas over their lack of non-free drivers unless you specifically install them. But quickly solved that. I do still have an issue with the laptop waking from sleep if I put the lid down. Not fixed that yet. But otherwise happy with it. It docks and undocks perfectly well with the USBC dock it came with.

Back
Top Bottom