What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Associate
I have several that I like for different reasons others which are terrible.

I used to like Ubuntu the older versions of if but then it went to crap after 10.04 so I scrapped it and started using Lubuntu and that became my everyday OS for internet use and for a long time until now. Lubuntu was always light tidy and fast plus easy to use.

GOS "The green version" GOS Linux was a very nice simple OS with a tidy looking graphical interface and was stable and fast only 600 MB in size but its no longer supported.

I like the simple minimal operating systems. I've never really been a fan of messy eye candy and mac docks especially mac docks in Linux I think they look so tacky.

I liked Tiny CorePlus Linux its 12mb in size or there abouts. An OS with great potential.It was kinda like "build your own OS" using bash commands.

DSL Linux was a good one a very small Linux 50MB in file size better than Puppy Linux. I found Puppy Linux a bit busy looking with things all over the place but not too bad.

There have been other distros I've tried like, pepper mint, Berry Linux and some very obscure ones. I like the idea of the Commodore 64 Linux OS. I would like to see more like that.

What Linux distros have you tried and what do you like or dislike about them?

Last edited:
Soldato
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. It is a rolling release distro like Arch Linux and Manjaro etc. Still, it is much more stable, easier to install, and with some excellent features by default (btrfs file system with snapshots enable so if anything breaks, you can roll back to the previous snapshot). I use Ubuntu 20.04 for servers, though, as it is supported by all VPS and dedicated server hosts, making things easier. Plus, there are many more tutorials and guides for doing stuff on Ubuntu LTS.

Soldato
it is much more stable, easier to install

The vast majority are all easy to install tbf , Stable is subject to the individual. Manjaro that i use is a few clicks to install and has been rock solid for me for instance.

Thats the beauty of Linux though, we have loads of options.

Associate
OP
Kali Linux is ok very stable I haven't really properly explored it but I like the look of it. I installed it on my Panasonic Toughbook CF 31.

Pet

Pet

Associate
I have been using Linux Mint since January and am thoroughly enjoying my experience with it. Customisation is key. Would recommend to new Linux users coming over from Windows 10 like myself.

Man of Honour
Debian I find fits with how I expect things to be better than many other variants - but if I want a more conventional desktop environment I'll use Ubuntu. I've never really gelled with any of the other variants.

Soldato
Debian I find fits with how I expect things to be better than many other variants - but if I want a more conventional desktop environment I'll use Ubuntu. I've never really gelled with any of the other variants.

100% agree with Roff

Debian LTS so you can just get on and use the desktop as Rolling releases are fun until you get fedup with all the updating.

Associate
I used to use Ubuntu server until the other day on a vps, other than that at home i use Garuda Linux, it seems to get a lot of slagging off on youtube I am not sure why because for me on the Xfce version its rock solid. I have on a Dell workstation with a Xeon E3-1240 V5, I have a E3-1245 V5 cpu I will put in it so I can remove the GPU it currently has when I get around to it. Edit to add, I know why it gets slagged off because many Linux users think it should work ok on that old Toshiba laptop they bought in 1995 ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
What for? In alphabetical order my go-to reaches are usually:

AlmaLinux (server where *BSD won't fit)
Artix
Devuan
Fedora
openSUSE Tumbleweed
Parrot
Pop
Void

I have a strong preference for systemd-free distros, but these days I'll use *BSD where I can in preference to Linux. Linux was much nicer to use and administer 15-20 years ago before systemd was a twinkle in the anti-POSIX Poettering's eye.

Associate
PopOS - for gaming I'm currently using.
Tried Linux Mint - my first distro since switching from Windows.

On my radar to test;
Arco Linux
Manjaro
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Solus - Independant distro

Back
Top Bottom