What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
got the front of my Audi A4 stripped down and done the timing belt, water pump, steering rack, power steering pump, serpentine belt tensioner
and was going to replace the daft clutched pulley on the alternator to find out the one I bought is a refurbished unit and the internal threads are damaged...

not a happy bunny as now my cars sitting in the drive for another day

Soldato
got the front of my Audi A4 stripped down and done the timing belt, water pump, steering rack, power steering pump, serpentine belt tensioner
and was going to replace the daft clutched pulley on the alternator to find out the one I bought is a refurbished unit and the internal threads are damaged...

not a happy bunny as now my cars sitting in the drive for another day

I've done that.
It's amazing how much access you can get to the engine with the front off. Also very worrying for a noob like me wondering if it'll ever go back together again :eek:
audi.jpg

Soldato
Just quickly gave the slabs on the garden path a blast with the new Kercher K2 pressure washer - faster than using my old heavier kercher that has seized up. The 'hard' lance actually has a rotating pattern and it packs a punch! The path cleaner works well for getting 90% off beforehand.

Soldato
I've done that.
It's amazing how much access you can get to the engine with the front off. Also very worrying for a noob like me wondering if it'll ever go back together again :eek:

The Ford Focus Mk2 1.8TDCI alternator needs the wheel & arch liner removed, the air con pump unscrewed then supported on a block, the aux belt tensioned off to remove the aircon enough to get at ONE screw, The alternator then can be removed with tetris style kung fu through the gap out the top of the engine.
If it's the petrol engine.. the engine needs tilting forward on it's engine bushes before the alternator on the back of the engine can be removed.. using one person to lever and the other to work!

I feel your pain!

Associate
I've done that.
Yea Ive done it to a fair few A4's and passat's and I worry every time that its going to go back together the way it should and I used to do it for a living..

The Ford Focus Mk2 1.8TDCI alternator needs the wheel & arch liner removed, the air con pump unscrewed then supported on a block, the aux belt tensioned off to remove the aircon enough to get at ONE screw, The alternator then can be removed with tetris style kung fu through the gap out the top of the engine.
If it's the petrol engine.. the engine needs tilting forward on it's engine bushes before the alternator on the back of the engine can be removed.. using one person to lever and the other to work!

I feel your pain!

I had to do an alternator on a V6 vectra years ago... that was very nearly an engine out job!!

Associate
woohoo new clutched pulley arrived ordered from a different supplier as the last one must train there sales stuff in arrogance before they let them deal with customers..

new one fitted perfectly without any forcing required.. just need the rain to stop now and I can build the front end back up.

Soldato
Started preparing my living room for decorating yesterday. Started off sugar soap washing all the walls, which were a lot dirtier than they looked. Then moved onto stripping the paint off all the skirting boards and the window frames. What a fun and interesting job that was :)

Soldato
Replaced all the 200w outside lighting with 30w LED's. I was surprised at how good they were when it got dark, the cooler light was better suited for night visibility as well. The total load, if all were on at once, has gone from 1240w to 186w

Soldato
Pressure washed the paths of algae and crap, also cleaned the windows on the outside.. It's wet so not much can do on the car :/

Soldato
Seems everyone is pressure washing patios -- I have just come in for a rest - still a lot to do especially when you have to put jet almost touching slabs although it's still about 100psi - Got the small Karcher

Stripping paint off skirting boards is a laugh a minute

Soldato
Seems everyone is pressure washing patios -- I have just come in for a rest - still a lot to do especially when you have to put jet almost touching slabs although it's still about 100psi - Got the small Karcher

I did the same yesterday!

Today I have painted the shed, will need to give it another coat tomorrow afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom