What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Snap, I'm doing a similar thing. Our garden is really high compared to the surrounding gardens, our deck and our shed. As it's all gravel, I'm digging it out, lowering the ground slightly, replacing the weed control matting and putting about half the gravel back. It will be about 4 inches lower when I'm done! Only access from the back to the front is through the house, so I have been carrying the gravel through in truggs as I can't use a wheelbarrow. Impressed with facebook trading groups, managed to give away half a ton of gravel this morning to various people! Saved me getting a skip, I had no idea it would go so fast!

Dave

Associate
Impressed with facebook trading groups, managed to give away half a ton of gravel this morning to various people! Saved me getting a skip, I had no idea it would go so fast!

Dave
i'm glad to hear as i was thinking of doing that too, saves skip hire costs and if anyone wants free soil and rubble it will be bagged up and out the front they can just help themselves to it

last time i got a skip i wondered why i bothered as people were just coming up in vans and near emptied it lol

Last edited:
Associate
Stripped and sanded down stair stringers...

pnEUPso.jpg

3AtX92C.jpg

Newel posts and hand rails went a few weeks ago, stingers stripped ready for a prime and couple of coats before newel posts are fitted. Impressed by the power of the Black & Decker Mouse, a life saver!

Associate
Dug out some of the lawn to make a flower bed.
Only 1m x 0.5m and 20cm deep, but it's thick horrible clay soil :(

oPPrVPkl.jpg

oPPrVPkl.jpg

to

3fUmdFal.jpg

Z3IaUInl.jpg

all the big stones around the tree were ones I dug up!

Soldato
Been in this house 7 years this year so got screwdriver out and checked every screw of every hinge - That's all wardrobe/kitchen unit's and doors - some were lose and most needed a tweek - also took vacuum head apart and cleaned all bum fluff out of it- blocked solid -suck's carpet up now.

hate rainy days - Was going clayshooting but it would have meant getting car dirty. :rolleyes:

Soldato
This weekend:
New floor in kitchen.
Painted kitchen.
Painted kitchen tiles.
Installed all new usb stainless sockets and light switch.
Boxed in boiler.
Installed new fridge.

Chucked 8 years of crap in skip from garage.

Planted some strawberry plants.

Was a busy weekend

Soldato
Back to work today, I can barely type as my hands are so wrecked:

Went through huge trunk of computer cables from my former PC repair business and recycled huge black bags worth;
Cleared old/broken kids outdoor toys and took them to recycling centre;
Cleared out dozens of plant pots and trays and took to recycling centre;
Cut town three conifer trees, chopped them up and loaded into my CitiGo (no mean feat) and took to green waste site;
Cleared two further cars worth of garden waste to green waste site;
Built 12' trampoline for the kids which pretty much finished me off, didn't help at the soul-crushingly poor instruction manual.

Had a beer and a chinese to finish off the productive weekend.

Associate
Finished digging a new bed at the allotment, planted potatoes (just in time for a frost...), wall-mounted the telly, dismantled the old TV stand and knackered my back at the last while carrying the TV stand shelves to the garage. :-/

Soldato
Decided to throw a pick axe around in the garden today to loosen off the soil (compacted and neglected) and started to find a lost rockery underneath :/ Annoyed that i live in an ex council house with no driveway otherwise I'd be able to take a delivery of soil and sand to get it filled in. Instead I've got to wait till I'm next off on 'holiday' from work :mad: Will get everything covered over so i can make a start to the surrounding hard landscaping which i should hopefully manage to sort out over the summer.

Associate
finally got time between hospital appointments and other stuff to get a few hours on the car yesterday
I got the front end built back up, filled it with coolant, power steering fluid and got it out for a run down to Falkirk and back..
next job is sort the exhaust bracket then get the tracking done after fitting the new steering rack.
while I had it in bits ive done the timing belt, water pump, bigger turbo, new steering rack, new track rod ends, new front suspension arms, new S4 shockies and eibach springs all round..

Hitman
Soldato
We've been in our new build for around 10 months and this past 2 weeks we've finally decided to tackle the garden before Summer hits so we can make use of it this year.

This is the original state of the garden - patches courtesy of the dog:

UgzJ5li.jpg

Hard to make out but you may be able to see the rope we laid out for the general idea of how we want it - border all the way around, flower bed in one corner, seating area in another and extended patio. Last week we did the flower bed area:

YeDeK8M.jpg

It's been tidied up a little since then, re-aligning the logs slightly and secured them better. Opted for the logs rather than sleepers due to price and we'd be sinking the sleepers to the same height anyway. Took quite a while to dig all the turf up and sort out the soil beneath the turf - it was about an inch of turf/top soil, an inch of sand then clay.

Then yesterday I started work on the seating area and borders:

8tfHgwA.jpg

That took 20 bags of stone and I have 12 more bags standing by for the rest of the borders - may need a bit more. The edging looks ok - took a risk with some edging I found off Amazon with the view to send it back if it wasn't any good - it was £33/10m. Purchased 20m more today to finish off the rest as we're happy with how it looks. The one I was originally looking at was £36/5m.

The borders will have various plants and climbers.

We're pretty happy with how it's looking so far. I'm hoping to finish off the borders tomorrow when more edging arrives. Doubling the patio will be the next task once we've decided on new slabs and we've already got some furniture on order. We're considering ditching the turf and getting artificial grass due to the dog - we've had some really nice samples sent over. We'll paint the fences at some point also.

Also credit to our site manager for giving me a skip when I need one to get rid of garden waste - that's saving a lot of hassle in itself!

Last edited:
Associate
Cut the front hedge & pulled up some weeds.

Really must give myself a kick up the .... to do more.

Back to work tomorrow for 4 days followed by 2 nights, then off for 12 days, so hopefully will be a lot more productive than of late.

Back
Top Bottom