What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Over the last few months I have killed off my lawn out front with Roundup - waited till more grass and weeds came up and killed it again. All I have left is a straw lawn.

Today my Propane gas burner came so been out there burning - What a difference it's made - looks a lot tidier- Will leave it for a bit to see if anything else grows then BURN.

Soldato
Trying to figure out what's actually on my walls seeing as I've never done this before, and therefore what needs to come off before skimming and painting... See pics in spoiler below.

First pic, blue is paint I guess (there's actually blue and green but doesnt show on phone cam). Is the brown all wallpaper paste? I've been sugar soaping to get the last bits of wallpaper off and noticed it smearing and it comes off with a good scrub.. I guess this should all come off now if I want to do it properly?

Second pic, the top 2ft or so of each wall has a layer of the light brown which comes away as dust when scraped hard or more like shaves off if sugar soaped first. Not sure what's going on with just the tops being like that? Again, should I get it all off back to just paint?

6HlOFmKr.jpg
i1gkl97r.jpg

Soldato
So, you've killed off your lawn? What are you going to do now?

My front top lawn was one mass of moss and bare patches due to chaffer grubs or something - Daddy long legs grubs - I tried scarifying it and doing all sorts to get it going but nothing helped - So killed it and next spring will throw loads of bags of John Innes No3 on it then seed it.

Did same on bottom lawn 2 years ago but had turf delivered for that but it was hard work and expensive.

Soldato
Trying to figure out what's actually on my walls seeing as I've never done this before, and therefore what needs to come off before skimming and painting... See pics in spoiler below.

First pic, blue is paint I guess (there's actually blue and green but doesnt show on phone cam). Is the brown all wallpaper paste? I've been sugar soaping to get the last bits of wallpaper off and noticed it smearing and it comes off with a good scrub.. I guess this should all come off now if I want to do it properly?

Second pic, the top 2ft or so of each wall has a layer of the light brown which comes away as dust when scraped hard or more like shaves off if sugar soaped first. Not sure what's going on with just the tops being like that? Again, should I get it all off back to just paint?

Get off what you can then use a stabiliser like Guardz:
http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Have used this a number of times on problem walls, yes its an extra step/extra expense BUT it was well worth it as have previously had to refinish a wall when the old paste was causing the paint to crack/peek...

Soldato
That looks great Marvt74
Don't suppose you're taking orders, I could probably did with a couple of them

Ha i could but then you'd see all the ropey bits in the detail that you can't see in the picture! Plus postage would be a bit of a nightmare.

What i was quite impressed with is that i didn't need to use any glue for the tiles as they're an incredibly tight fit. Means that we could change them around if we get bored :)

Soldato
My wife sent me this picture which i copied.

L1l2C07.jpg

It's fairly simple really. Make a square base (i'm tempted to change mine to a U shape so it'll fit around the sofa leg.

Stick 2 uprights on, and cut various bits of wood at 45degree for the cross beams. Could do this at 90 degrees but i liked the angled look.

Make another square section for the top, and finish it. Could just do it like the above which would be simpler. Or someone on here made a stool out of oiled ply cut sideways which looked excellent.

I cut out a rebate as you can see here. Then a piece of 6mm ply into that as a base for the tiles to sit on.

NQLCQPt.jpg

I then just used a sander to round off the edges and then you can finish it however you like :)

Caporegime
My front top lawn was one mass of moss and bare patches due to chaffer grubs or something - Daddy long legs grubs - I tried scarifying it and doing all sorts to get it going but nothing helped - So killed it and next spring will throw loads of bags of John Innes No3 on it then seed it.

Did same on bottom lawn 2 years ago but had turf delivered for that but it was hard work and expensive.
Can't you chemically destroy the grubs? Was there something else going on?

Back
Top Bottom