What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
No you can't chemically destroy the grubs - You could get nematodes once but they don't seem to be available to general public anymore. Things are never simple in this day and age.

Moss killer is easy - just get some roof tile moss killer - really good stuff.

Soldato
Haven't added what I've done everyday the thread would double.
The list include.

Removed kitchen, removed integrated cupboard, removed door and plasterboarded up, cut new door in opposite wall, smashed up fire place and removed back boiler, plasterboarded the remaining hole, removed skirting boards, installed push fit plumbing and radiators, helped cut up floorboards and install new plug sockets, pva'ing and plastered 2 rooms, Chopped down a tree and many many over grown bushes, ermmm. I'm sure there is more.

Associate
Finally ticked a job off the to do list which has been there for about 3 years, replacing the "temp" support for the PC desk. Before/after pics..

deskbefore1.JPG

deskbefore2.JPG

deskafter1.JPG

deskafter2.JPG

Putting the pantorouter to good use :D

Soldato
Took an hour to change a toilet seat last night :o Both bolts were horribly corroded and sheared off when I tried to undo the wing nuts. And of course they sheared too high up to just pull it out at an angle. Somehow managed to get them out with just brute force and replaced with a nice Ikea one with plastic fixings..

Soldato
Took an hour to change a toilet seat last night :o Both bolts were horribly corroded and sheared off when I tried to undo the wing nuts. And of course they sheared too high up to just pull it out at an angle. Somehow managed to get them out with just brute force and replaced with a nice Ikea one with plastic fixings..

Every time I change a toilet seat always have trouble getting them off, even plastic nuts.

Soldato
Thought it would be a good idea to check stop **** (tap then ) in the road - opened cover and full of soil - started grubbing it out and now find I need a longer arm - took concrete lid off but still need a longer arm - stuck screwdriver down in soil but hit nothing - this could be a dig out job or a Seven Trent job - I very much doubt when I find it I will be able to turn it.

Nothing is easy is it.

Soldato
Thought it would be a good idea to check stop **** (tap then ) in the road - opened cover and full of soil - started grubbing it out and now find I need a longer arm - took concrete lid off but still need a longer arm - stuck screwdriver down in soil but hit nothing - this could be a dig out job or a Seven Trent job - I very much doubt when I find it I will be able to turn it.

Nothing is easy is it.

You'll have hard job turning it by hand even if you manage to get all the soil out. You'll prob need like a long stick thing like what the water company/decent plumber would have. Probably hasn't been touched in decades.

Associate
When the Highways Agency improved the road outside ours they raised the level of the road by 2 to 3 feet and placed a tarmac path alongside where previously none existed. They also helpfully did all this over the top of our stopcock and water meter.
It took 3 years of estimated water bills before Anglian water finally decided to send a team to rediscover the items and move them 3 metres to a position at the bottom of the bank where they could be accessed.

Soldato
^I've just applied for a water meter. Should get fitted within 3 months :rolleyes: In the meantime I'm stuck suing £45 p/m as a single bloke who doesn't use much water :o

Put the Aldi wall sander through its paces and sanded the box room. Works well, impressed with the inbuilt dust extraction. Some parts of the walls are perfectly smooth after but others are **** so still plan to give skimming a go :D

Also went downstairs after a bath to find the kitchen floor covered in water.. After some testing it seems the bath overflow seal has a slight leak and as I'd been sitting with it at that level for long enough to become a prune, it had caused quite a problem :rolleyes: Easy fix but for now just won't run any full baths!

Caporegime
Got a coat of Cuprinol Ducksback (silver copse) down on the fence panels.

zxZ0hTFh.jpg

Bugger of a job. Second coat next weekend.

Despite the total grey-out on our driveway (both cars are also grey!), it looks miles better than the hotch potch of various flaking shades of brown that were on before.

Soldato
Thank you God !!

Yesterday I dug out the stop tap on pavement - I thought it was a concrete tube but it's concrete blocks with 160mm hole in - dug them out to last one -cleaned all sand out and sprayed tap with WD40 numerous times - Left it till today and using the borrowed T bar got prepared to start putting pressure on it and it turned without any effort. - I have got to go to Toolstation to buy a 1m T bar as it's flippin deep.

Big sigh of relief.:)

Oh - got talking to guy three doors up and as a water board bloke was working next door he asked him if he could stick his T bar down his stop tap hole - he put some grunt on it and it turned - trouble was it was whole tap turning and he pulled it out of pipes - I remember it running all night down the road.

Soldato
Got a coat of Cuprinol Ducksback (silver copse) down on the fence panels.

zxZ0hTFh.jpg

Bugger of a job. Second coat next weekend.

Despite the total grey-out on our driveway (both cars are also grey!), it looks miles better than the hotch potch of various flaking shades of brown that were on before.

Okay, so you may have made me happy here. We're looking for a paint for our fences that will keep the nice silvered look without being too dark/heavy. We've tried a couple but to no avail, saw this Cuprinol but looked very dark, even on the tin, so didn't bother. However, it looks as though it's pretty spot on judging by your photo there.
How many coats did you do?

Soldato
Okay, so you may have made me happy here. We're looking for a paint for our fences that will keep the nice silvered look without being too dark/heavy. We've tried a couple but to no avail, saw this Cuprinol but looked very dark, even on the tin, so didn't bother. However, it looks as though it's pretty spot on judging by your photo there.
How many coats did you do?
it does say in his post that he is doing the 2nd coat next weekend ;)

Back
Top Bottom