What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
We inherited a massivly overgrown privit hedge - 20-25' tall and about 20meters long. Cut it all back to 18-24 inches and fertalised. Ungodly amounts of green waste to take to the tip.

Might have a hedge again in 2-3 years!

It was SO nice having good weather yesterday, and the extra light in the evening.

Soldato
Today I wired the shed up for mains electricity and put a light in there. A nice 10M run of armored cable under the patio. I've also put one of those heaters that are used for airing cupboards in there. Dew was forming on my tools causing them to go rusty so hopefully this little heater will keep the shed above the dew point. I need to insulate the walls and ceiling in there long term but that can wait.

Any recommendations for what I can use to insulate the shed?

Oiling tools can help, too.

Soldato
We inherited a massivly overgrown privit hedge - 20-25' tall and about 20meters long. Cut it all back to 18-24 inches and fertalised. Ungodly amounts of green waste to take to the tip.

Might have a hedge again in 2-3 years!

It was SO nice having good weather yesterday, and the extra light in the evening.
Evening light makes me happy!! So much more time to get things done makes evening time much more pleasurable.

Soldato
Not me, but our 10 year old Ideal iStor boiler packed up just over a week ago when it was snowing. Had British Gas round who repaired it then condemned it and capped the gas off.

They then quoted £4.2k to replace it.

Told them to do one, got several quotes and after carrying out some due diligence, we went with a company called Boxt who gave us a fixed price and had great reviews.

They arrived today at 8am and left at 6:50pm - decent chaps, done a great job and now we have a Worcester Bosh i30 with smart WiFi thermostat servicing the house. We can control it from our mobiles using the Honeywell lyric app.

Total cost was £2995.

Soldato
Got a load of sand -gravel and cement for a Round-Tu-it job and also picked this up 10ft 6" of 3x2x 1/2" angle iron

413832877.jpg

more to come later

Soldato
Getting there with flat renovation. Been a long time coming but finished the kitchen cupboards. Sanded everything down (by hand), primed and painted. Sprayed the doors with a gravity feed, really pleased with the finish considering my amateur status and using ordinary B&Q paint thinned down. Thinning was a bit hit and miss but finally got the hang of it. Recycled some old hardware for the handles, upgraded to soft close hinges (Amazon cheapos but work well), some rubber sticky dot things and all is good.

Was DEFINITELY worthwhile spending the time to make my own drilling jig for the handles, made getting them all on in the same place so much quicker and easier.

Doing it all on a pretty strict budget so the counter-top is staying, might need to change the tiles for some electrical work however.

flat_kitchen_cabinets-2.jpg

flat_kitchen_cabinets-1.jpg

They resembled this before, really dark grungy stain:
flat_kitchen_cabinets-old.PNG

Associate
Getting there with flat renovation. Been a long time coming but finished the kitchen cupboards. Sanded everything down (by hand), primed and painted. Sprayed the doors with a gravity feed, really pleased with the finish considering my amateur status and using ordinary B&Q paint thinned down. Thinning was a bit hit and miss but finally got the hang of it. Recycled some old hardware for the handles, upgraded to soft close hinges (Amazon cheapos but work well), some rubber sticky dot things and all is good.

Was DEFINITELY worthwhile spending the time to make my own drilling jig for the handles, made getting them all on in the same place so much quicker and easier.

Doing it all on a pretty strict budget so the counter-top is staying, might need to change the tiles for some electrical work however.

flat_kitchen_cabinets-2.jpg

flat_kitchen_cabinets-1.jpg

They resembled this before, really dark grungy stain:
flat_kitchen_cabinets-old.PNG

Looking really good,

Soldato
Started this project -

yJeYaXh.jpg

Under a tarp due to the shed being choc full of stuff from the house we've moved out while doing work. (So much junk).

z9YzBm9.jpg

Step 1 - Routing.

gx2hJPu.jpg
4umSIjF.jpg

Alse yesterday re-fitted DIY bookcase to the same room. Will need some tlc to get it up to scratch after being removed, stored and refitted.

D6Aou9H.jpg

Soldato
Started my Round Tu it job -- when we bought this place there was a gap under garage door - had a new door and still a gap so today I started the fix.

413834886.jpg

Started cutting and drilling a while back

413834890.jpg

Today got the concrete up at door

413834889.jpg

This is my new edge for door to close against.

413834888.jpg

This is it for today - need to dig some more dirt out then it's time to concrete

413834887.jpg

Man of Honour
Finally had a dry day to put the new conservatory together. Its a self build and arrives in kit form and bolts together. I had a builder do a new base as its bigger than the previous one and allows it to come up close to the back door step height and he built the wall on the side which will be plastered along with the back wall.

Onto the roof next weekend or so hopefully.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Jesus busy weekend for everyone.

Got around to starting the utility room today.

Wall plates, joists and noggins installed.
Garage conversion
nNdPyWn.jpg
Tzcdg6x.jpg
Got a christening tomorrow so have to go to that. Tuesday planning on putting in the water, extending a ring circuit and adding insulation.

Associate
Not quite up to the propertions of previous posts but I laid laminate flooring in my office today.
Got another two bedrooms to do over the coming weekends. That'll 4 of the 5 with Laminate.
The last one is the one we keep for guests so it's always closed and the dogs never go in there. It can stay carpeted.

Still to put the beading round the edges and fit the door connector thingy. That's a job for tomorrow though.
ZKvJY3j.jpg

Soldato
Is the bed for when you get tired of gaming? :p

Did lots of routing, found an awesome way to make tenons using a sliding chop saw too.

kPK2Umc.jpg

Would have got more done but my saw exploded so had to find somewhere open and buy a new one.

Soldato
Haha I had the same issue. Had bought a cheap demolition breaker from Lidl back in July in preparation for a job at my mother laws.

Finally got to it on Friday and after less than a minute it set on fire! Very annoying. I then considered hiring one but ended up buying the Titan one from Screwfix for £150.

No pics yet but I also dug out a lot of garden and took down a concrete and asbestos prefab garage.

Annoyingly I scratched my watch face and despite being on my feet for about 8 hours today and working my ass off I only tracked 9500 steps which isn’t enough effort according to my health insurance!

Today was a day off so we took the dogs for a walk on the beach :)

Soldato
Today's progress report, under floor plyboard and insulation foil installed, insulation between joists fitted. Floor secured permanently. Electrical/aerial and bt cables run. Door mouldings fitted and false wall constructed and used left over chipboard on exterior section.

Aim for tomorrow, complete electrical installation, cut and fit noggins for false wall and insulate false wall plus cut into wall under stairs to gain access to utilities .....
Pff I'm tired and itchy
Su3ysBa.jpg

dowFx

Don
I put this up.

jh3Pr0J.jpg

It's from Tiger Sheds (thanks for recommendation) and is very well made. Instructions were useless so had to pretty much work it out for myself. It went up OK though. I had to do some clever balancing to get the sides on and lined up as I was doing it solo and you're supposed to have a helper. It took just under 3 hours to build it once I had the slabs laid.

ymaLBGA.jpg

I now have space in my workshop and can actually use it as a workshop rather than a bike and general crap store.

Back
Top Bottom