What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
No, it was my first time doing it. I did cheat and get the guy running it to do the final refining of the bezel as I didn't want to ruin it at the end of the day! Handle was just some scraps of Oak I had, some aluminium pins I was given on the course and some clear epoxy to stick it on. It was shaped with a rasp, belt sander and some hand sandpaper then given a few coats of osmo.

Dave

Caporegime
Associate
Yes, spray acrylic primer then top coat. Extremely easy and cheap.

I had no idea they cost so much new. My grandparents gave it to us a few years ago. We almost chucked it :D.

Looks a really good job. I'm not usually one for "upcycling" as the outcome looks even more like tat to me. But I like the look of that basket, it looks modern and fresh from the shop.

Man of Honour
Pulled down the old rotten single glazed conservatory today. It was about 30 years old and have patched it up a few times (moved in 3.5 years ago), but replacing it was at the bottom of my list of things to do to the house so taken a while to get there :)

I've got a DIY one coming soon but first the builder is going to improve and extend the base and build a full height wall on one side & skim it so it'll be a bit of a hybrid conservatory/room. Its not going to be much bigger than the old one (going from about 2.4 x 2.4 to 2.6 x 2.7) as its tricky to make it much bigger, but having a PVC one with double glazing will make a big difference. Cost is 2.7k for the conservatory and about 500-600 for the brick wall/base/etc.

Associate
Planted garlic in the raised bed that was prepared last week (Solent, Mersey & Picardy wight)

Cleared the bigger raised bed & topped it up with some more soil & manure.

Tested out the strimmer attachment on new titan petrol multitool - both hedge trimmer & strimmer have worked a treat - seems like a good solid bit of kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just took a toilet out downstairs toilet ready for a new one post tiling. Painted the upper portion Egyptian cotton as I’m planning* metro tiles up to waist height (*instructed by the wife)

KoaiqB6.jpg

tpBxH8a.jpg

Worried about what I’m fix the new sink to though as it’s only got holes ready for the stud wall, current one is a corner unit so has fixings in each wall. Will cut an inspect hole below I think.

Also got the brushed light switches up to finish off the hall. I did the floor after we bought the house from our landlord.

OrPXE6v.jpg

Soldato
Starting to get busy on the house again now. This week;

- Painted woodwork hall stairs, landing. No more gloss in the house!
- Just ordered 3 timber windows for upstairs meaning I can start to plan for re-rendering now as all upstairs windows are done.
- Begun the arduous process of restoring a 100ft privit hedge that has been left to rack and ruin for decades I imagine. 15-20ft ft high in places. Taking it right down to promote new growth. This is creating a LOT of waste!

Soldato
Killed off my front top lawn last year - just left it and weeded when needed - This week I decided to finally start on turning it over - Now found out why it was a rubbish lawn - must be 20 of those white grubs with orange nose per fork full - I thought no grass = dead grubs - seems not - Will finish doing it tomorrow then start raking roots out and make grubs visible to bird.

Soldato
Renovating a flat so the list is endless but of note today was replacing some double glazing hinges which had snapped with new pairs.

Not as difficult as expected just have to take, time measure twice and drill once! Saved a fortune, only 6 quid for the hinges.

Also put a new handle and seals on upvc front door.

Last edited:
Soldato
Made a storage platform in the loft. Literally just needed somewhere to store empty boxes and lightweight items like garden furniture cushions. Just need to trim/notch two boards to fit in around where the trusses meet.

Wasn't going to faff with loft legs. Inb4 omg your roof will fall down because new build + weight :p I do plan on making some battens to create a little walkway to the platform and then 'refluff' all the squashed insulation from the last 6 years worth of rummaging around up there :)

VSnBTOkl.jpg

h7H0lWol.jpg

Soldato
Does flat packed furniture count. This weekend I put together a wardrobe, chest of drawers and a bedside cabinet. I did not realise how much work was involved.
I have another 2 wardrobes another chest of drawers arriving on Friday. I found that my trusty Stanley staple/brad gun was an absolute boon when it cam to the hardboard backing.

Associate
Made a start on a poor condition wall, scraped out loose old horse hair plaster and poor skim job done by previous owners and covered it in Zinsser Gardz to bond it, then filled the holes and cracks with filler, sanded and painted with Gardz again to seal before lining paper goes up.

Caporegime
Went out with the GF last night to shovel snow from the weekend, cleaned up the path and patios, then used the pickaxe to help break up the compacted snow in front of the garage as the large lip was making it interesting to reverse the 4x4 in. Also cleared the front of the other garage door so the GF can actually get the car out.

Tomorrow night we’re attacking the drive and clearing the two foot of snow on the road in front so we can get the vehicle on the drive out for the first time in a couple of months, before the temperatures get above freezing and everything becomes twice as difficult!

Soldato
In the endless battle to sort out a wall with sporadic damp patches I inspected the exterior side with some more detail today.

Found a hairline crack in paint, scraped it off to the expose and the paint literally fell off. Saturated wet behind and a substantial crack in the concrete. Chased and brushed it out and let dry. Threw some water sealant on it as belts and braces then refinished with concrete. Will let it cure, retreat with sealant then repaint.

Fingers crossed it was the primary cause of sporadic damp and efflorescence inside as I'm all out of ideas now!

Back
Top Bottom