What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Finally had a dry day to put the new conservatory together. Its a self build and arrives in kit form and bolts together. I had a builder do a new base as its bigger than the previous one and allows it to come up close to the back door step height and he built the wall on the side which will be plastered along with the back wall.

Onto the roof next weekend or so hopefully.

image.jpg
Hey Duke, where did you get the DIY conservatory? I'm interested in something similar myself.

Soldato
Thanks, Duke. Greatly appreciated. :D I do like the ConservaBase concept. That might be the perfect thing for me as I was thinking of putting one over an old patio with a manhole in it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Glad to help. Yeah for me I didn't need it as it wasn't much bigger than the previous one which already had a 4" deep base. I just got the builder to extend it a bit and bring it up another couple of inches so its closer to the back door out. I decided to not have a dwarf wall either as it just eates into the space quite a bit but depends on the size you're looking at to how important that is.

Don
Great, I'm going to get one. Was it easy enough to put together?

The instructions were useless. If I wasn't fairly competent at building things like this then I think I would have had a problem.
It took me around 3 hours to build it solo. I made a couple of modifications as I went along as I wasn't happy with how securely the roof was mounted to the sides (made up some angle brackets), and in some places I substituted the provided nails with screws.
It comes pressure treated so there's no need to paint it. I will be Ronsealing it so it matches my other shed though.

Soldato
Hired a cement mixer for the day (£10) and concreted in the big chunk of angle iron for a door stop for the garage door. - Just a few bit's to tidy up and done - will take a pic then.

Soldato
Moved house this week.
Built an IKEA Pax wardrobe.
Built an IKEA ALEX desk.
Built IKEA Liatorp Book case.
Built a missing kitchen cupboard and fitted door that was missing from the previous owners utility room.
Fitted a built in dishwasher inc door.
Fitted new kick boards to above unit/dishwasher.
Hung two curtain poles.
Fitted black out blind to bedroom
Replaced broken PVCU Door hinge.
Replaced two light fittings and hung pendants.
Wired in Nest thermostat.
Spent 3 hours on the phone to BT trying to sort out rubbish internet.

Now drinking beer.

Soldato
Finally finished concreting - from this

413834887.jpg

To this.

413846315.jpg

Door fit's nice and tight - just one more strip of draft excluder to fit and done - In hind sight I would or should have gone for roller door - so much neater

Just going to give it a few more days to set then can get car back in. - Also no more mice

I now know for sure that I am too old for this sort of work - feel like I have been run over by a steam roller.

Associate
brushed in a dry grout mix to some of the patio slabs
increased run on time for the bathroom fan
assembled a weber bbq in preparation for the sun this week :D
measured up for a picnic table I want to build, 3m long is possible but I think 2.4m will be more than enough
made a chocolate cake for the gf's birthday

Soldato
Took all my old fence panels down (been up over 30 years :eek:), to replace with new, which i'll hopefully be doing next weekend, just waiting for them to be delivered, then its painted and up.

If you have pressure treated fencing just leave the fence as is...you are just making unnecessary work for you later down the line.

Caporegime
Opened up the chimney breast (it was boarded over with a large piece of ply), got rid of tons of rubble, and the back burner.

RkORPmTm.jpg

88YeUQ5m.jpg

Once the wall is soundproofed and plastered the plan is a stove.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom