What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
First job today, a really easy one. Had a plumber here fixing things for the neighbour above which was affecting my flat, and I asked him how I can tighten my bath spout which became very loose that I could turn it 360. I thought I'd have to remove the metal plate. He showed me underneath the spout that there's an Allen key socket. 2.5 size fitted so I just removed the screw from my hex set and took that one off. Was impossible to turn it while attached to the set.

20180501_131752.jpg

Soldato
Scrubbed all the paving slabs with bleach water - all the moss has gone and it looks clean and tidy - Back is aching though - need some rain tonight to wash some of the bits of dirt away

Soldato
About half ltr to 4 ltrs - I just get a bottle of bleach from lidl for 99p - My slabs were not to bad - just a bit green - if heavy moss probably up mix. - I did use one of those wire brushes on a long handle first on joints then brushed as much dirt and bits off before washing.

Caporegime
Fitted this present to my wife:

8NBcb4O.jpg

What she doesn't yet know is that I made this from an Oak tree that was felled from her childhood home which her parents recently sold when they permanently moved abroad. Waiting until the house is finished to let her in on that little secret :).

Associate
Very nice, I'm looking at doing a similar thing myself. How green was the oak? I want a fairly rustic look so I don't mind splits etc so I was planning on using either a bit of untreated sleeper or some from a reclamation yard.

Dave

Caporegime
Very nice, I'm looking at doing a similar thing myself. How green was the oak? I want a fairly rustic look so I don't mind splits etc so I was planning on using either a bit of untreated sleeper or some from a reclamation yard.

Dave
Fairly green, I expect it will split a fair bit but I have treated it, and will continue to do so. I think that adds to the charm :).

Associate
OK its taken a few months from start to finish - mainly deciding upon and waiting for the bits to arrive but.

Take 2 rooms.
q23vccy.jpg
ceMboIz.jpg
Smash the wall out.
gr6HQN5.jpg

Do crap loads of work ( demolitions/plastering by professionals, rest by me)
And nearly finished.
eAD3vZq.jpg
Just a door to cover the pantry (where the fridge can be seen) , upstands to be oiled and fitted and touching up of paint.

Its nearly killed me but looking not too shabby

Last edited:
Soldato
Been up the ladder and cleaned lenses on CCTV cameras . Then drilled two holes in cast iron manhole lid and put two eye bolts in - the sunken bars have corroded away which made it difficult to get lid off. Now back to raking old grass roots off the turned over lawn.

Soldato
Long / Bank Holiday weekend meant lots of work to do around the house ...

Started off with cleaning out the u-bend in the kitchen sink, didn't resolve the standing water, so had to dismantle the whole plug / trap assembly to clean out the stones the kids had washed down the sink .......

Then onto a piece of garden out the front.

When we first moved in, it looked like this

JszCsQb.png

I had, previously, "pruned" the conifers to this

2rtw4We.png

Which left the mess which was

sYtLnWd.png

So started off removing the stump of the conifer / surrounding foliage / heathers

sGaa3ce.png

mYft2Qg.png

PmH9HY2.png

Along with the bricks and rocks hidden in the heather

Then scraped the gravel back and removed the weed matting

SXdracE.png

Planted a standard "Red Robin", brick surround, new matting and spread two builders bags of new gravel

YXihKkn.png

oNKkk4X.png

Also removed that handrail going up the stairs.....

X2EZKNL.png

Still needs some pots with plants in to finish it off

Then moved onto the terrace in the back between the house and the garden

Greenhouse, be gone

u1OkxiQ.png

a55MxS9.png

QPNdpjb.png

And then the border of said terrace; where the previous owners obviously had a "thing" for heather .....

IJtvreO.jpg

6DSqJom.jpg

PTnuvm4.jpg

Several back breaking hours later ....

tGaC0HD.png

lag6BCB.png

HGlZj1H.png

JYLgEHR.png

YzL2MyO.png

The next big job is introducing all those conifers to my newly acquired chainsaw ......

Soldato
I made a router table

It hooks on to the side of my workbench when needed and is removable in 10 seconds.

You routed some channels into your router table so you could router whilst your router, upside down :D

Very nice, could do with making one for myself.

Don
You might want to get a dust extractor set up. Routers as I'm sure you know make one hell of a mess :D
Great job though, clever too.

Already done. I've got an old vacuum cleaner set up to suck the dust away.

Made some modifications to the table last night:

Wood block chiseled for tool clearance.

QO10bD2.jpg

Piece of ally plate cut to size to make a smoother feed

79nRNHv.jpg

Countersunk and mounted to the wood

IHG2LLe.jpg

Another piece of ally plate cut to size. Holes cut for the router.

vT7BmLl.jpg

Runners cut to allow the feed to move.

NzRRRaZ.jpg

Test fit

X304Jle.jpg

Finished.

EhaDod2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom