What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Moved a few barrow loads of logs - Had three bags delivered earlier -- My word hasn't price of wood shot up over the last year or so.

All kinds of incentives driving growth in wood fuel so more demand for that wood.

Relative of mine owns and runs a 50 acre wood in his retirement. Farmer next door to the wood stripped out his boiler and installed a big wood burning system for the farm sheds and house and has a deal for 80 cubic metres a year which essentially means driving across the road and loading up a trailer from a designated stack of dried logs every now and again.

The convenience for the farmer is unbelievable but for the average person with no guaranteed supply it's just another fuel you have to rely on the market for.

Soldato
No pictures I'm afraid but I've started a full kitchen refurb. Most of the evenings last week were spent trying to clear all the stuff out of the room (food, pans, etc).

Saturday, I knocked holes into the ceiling and then re-plumbed the hot and cold water feeds (Thank goodness for JG Speedfit!). Annoyingly, most of the house seems to have been put together my someone looking for a pastime whilst he waited for his horse to return but the plumbing was beautiful. Really neat with small gaps between the pipework and the ceiling boards/joists. Made it a royal PITA to cut the pipes though but I manged eventually.

Sunday, rip out the old units and make several trips to the tip.

Monday, tear up multiple layers of floor covering (tiles and 2 lino) and remove the wall tiles. More tip runs.

And all of this whilst the family is out having fun in the Bank Holiday sunshine. *sob*

Tonight, repair numerous large (8-12" rectangular holes in the walls that seem to have been something to do with the original heating system.

Associate
I fitted another laminate floor over the bank holiday.
4 bedrooms done with one left. The one that's left is the guest bedroom which is always closed off from the dogs so I'm just going to keep it carpeted.
Multiple tip runs to follow this weekend.

Soldato
Here is the end result of pruned trees :D

Been on roof today (bungalow) and poked rods down with a brush on the end - Didn't do it last year and thought might get a lot of soot out but all I got was a 2ltr plant pot full - I put it in burner and closed everything down to stop dust - wasn't a lot left to clear up.- You can never put down enough dust sheets - believe me :rolleyes: So wood burner is now clean and ready to go next winter.

413912821.jpg

Soldato
I want a new tap in the bathroom sink says SHMBO, oh crap I knew what was coming next. You can do it surely? So I looked at a few videos and to be honest it did not look that difficult. Don't be fooled the videos as they do not tell the whole story. Four and a half hours it took me to replace a tap, install a click clack waste and a couple of isolating valves.
Discovered that I did not have the right sized spanners, OK use to adjustable wrenches but what about the plastic nut holding the waste as I had nothing to fit that? Long story, lots of leaks which seem to defy all my best efforts.
Never again, she want plumbing done she either does it herself or we get a man in.:D

Soldato
I'm in the final stages of fitting my kitchen and had a go at proper worktop joints for the first time.

Came out pretty well considering I didn't even have a practice run and neither joint was quite square. The longest run is just shy of 4M too so it was damn heavy and a tight squeeze to flip over and over a few times for the different joint types.

Also fitted and plumbed in the sink and fitted the hob ready for a plumber to connect up the gas.

1BJ81xU.jpg

XblHmFJ.jpg

UJgytjk.jpg

Associate
I'm in the final stages of fitting my kitchen and had a go at proper worktop joints for the first time.

Came out pretty well considering I didn't even have a practice run and neither joint was quite square. The longest run is just shy of 4M too so it was damn heavy and a tight squeeze to flip over and over a few times for the different joint types.

Also fitted and plumbed in the sink and fitted the hob ready for a plumber to connect up the gas

great work on the worktops but..
Are you sure you have enough plug sockets?:D

Associate
Split a few logs ...

Another couple of weekends and I'll be done on the first log pile.

Also need to clear some space behind the decking, level the ground and build a proper log store.

Soldato
Shower pump failed Saturday evening, been gradually getting worse for a while, low pressure and you can hear the pump 'pulsing'.. Only shower in the house so needed/used a lot.

Unbolt the side of the bath, take a look/photos.. Its a positive head twin impeller pump, easy. made by Watermill, good they are still trading.. Low voltage. Bugger.
Can either get a size of size exact match so no plumbing needed but its mains voltage OR a low voltage one thats a different size.

Pick you poison time, plumbing or electrics.

I can do both, but plumbing is always a fight and I find electrical work easy.. And I KNOW I can make electrics safe for total submersion.

Order same size full voltage pump, collect an hour later and start fitting. Took a few hours, lots of swearing and a fair bit of sweat but it works and works well... The other half is happy, and the 4 year old watched the whole job and learnt something - mostly what the tools are called, but was explaining everything to him as I was doing it so hopefully something sticks. I can remember watching Dad doing similar when I was growing up hence not worried about doing stuff like this.

:)

Oh, and under the bath is normally a no go area for electrics with 'push on' side panels, but as ours is constructed and requires tools to remove it its considered 'outside all zones'. Still, all work was done assuming it will get wet, in such a way that water getting onto it is a non-issue.

Don
Shower pump failed Saturday evening, been gradually getting worse for a while, low pressure and you can hear the pump 'pulsing'.. Only shower in the house so needed/used a lot.

Unbolt the side of the bath, take a look/photos.. Its a positive head twin impeller pump, easy. made by Watermill, good they are still trading.. Low voltage. Bugger.
Can either get a size of size exact match so no plumbing needed but its mains voltage OR a low voltage one thats a different size.

Pick you poison time, plumbing or electrics.

I can do both, but plumbing is always a fight and I find electrical work easy.. And I KNOW I can make electrics safe for total submersion.

Order same size full voltage pump, collect an hour later and start fitting. Took a few hours, lots of swearing and a fair bit of sweat but it works and works well... The other half is happy, and the 4 year old watched the whole job and learnt something - mostly what the tools are called, but was explaining everything to him as I was doing it so hopefully something sticks. I can remember watching Dad doing similar when I was growing up hence not worried about doing stuff like this.

:)

Oh, and under the bath is normally a no go area for electrics with 'push on' side panels, but as ours is constructed and requires tools to remove it its considered 'outside all zones'. Still, all work was done assuming it will get wet, in such a way that water getting onto it is a non-issue.

My shower pump is starting to make the same noises and the time will come soon where I have to attempt the same work!

Soldato
Had a few happy hours this morning doing a bit of drainage maintenance - The back door has kitchen one side and bathroom on other with a M/H out side kitchen and a manhole in a direct line down left hand side of garden by wall at road., -- M/H lid on one by road the lifting bars in sunken recesses have rusted away so the other week I drilled two holes and put in two eye bolts - used a bit of rope through eyelets to lift lid then took out eyelets (rawlbolt type fixing) and put in new ones that bolted on -- then rodded from both ends but not enough rods to do middle bit so threw buckets of water down kitchen M/H and everything ran smoothly - So one more job ticked off the list

Back
Top Bottom