What "man jobs" have you done today?

maj

maj

Soldato
We used to use those Hitachi projectors at work. When the motor for the lens goes they're rather expensive to fix. For free though I guess you can't complain whilst it still works.

Associate
Tested out the 'brush cutter' attachment for the titan multi-tool for the first time on some brambles and other undergrowth in the back garden - very pleased with the end result.

Just the chainsaw to go now - think I may get some safety gear before I start mucking about with that though :eek:

Associate
Purchased 30 bags of gravel to make a path in the garden, cheaper to buy 30 bags rather than a dumpy bag for what we need.
Purchased 10 bags of compost to try and improve the clay soil, will take the work van tomorrow and get at least another 10. £2.20 for 60l isn't half bad.
Spread grass seed on the lawn and covered it in compost to try and make it green rather than brown...

Soldato
Over the weekend, rather than today, but

1. Mowed the lawn
2. Jet washed the patio
3. Aerated the lawn
4. Seeded and top soiled the lawn
5. Watered the lawn
6. Washed the car
7. Made some roasted tomato and pepper mayonnaise

Think that was it for this weekend!

Soldato
You should have washed it with a bleach solution first then left it for a day or so to kill moss - then brush it then pressure wash it. - You might be able to stop that moss build up with some roof tile moss killer - once I got my roof tiles clean I now spray with weak solution every year and no more tile moss.

Soldato
You should have washed it with a bleach solution first then left it for a day or so to kill moss - then brush it then pressure wash it. - You might be able to stop that moss build up with some roof tile moss killer - once I got my roof tiles clean I now spray with weak solution every year and no more tile moss.

Will it still be worth me putting that roof tile moss killer down now, even after having cleared away the moss?

Associate
I put a hook on the back of my bathroom door. The screw sheered off just before it was all the way in. It was pre-drilled but the screws were made of cheese. Drilled out the remaining half of the screw and fixed with another screw.
Theres always something that stops simple jobs from being simple.

Soldato
Felix says salt - I have never used it so no idea but with roof moss killer it has stopped it growing back on my concrete roof tiles since day I cleaned them. Spray a weak mix on once or twice a year - should keep that concrete cleaner then it is and that also looks dangerous when wet.

mrbazmondo - Leave all your screws out side in all weather - they will go off and harden up like stale cheese :D:D:D If by any chance you are getting older you will find no job is easy - something always goes wrong.

Soldato
I put a hook on the back of my bathroom door. The screw sheered off just before it was all the way in. It was pre-drilled but the screws were made of cheese. Drilled out the remaining half of the screw and fixed with another screw.
Theres always something that stops simple jobs from being simple.

Buy an assorted set of very good quality screws. Never use the screws (or rawl plugs) included with things.

Twas a tip from my old man when he worked as a handyman.

Soldato
Felix says salt - I have never used it so no idea but with roof moss killer it has stopped it growing back on my concrete roof tiles since day I cleaned them. Spray a weak mix on once or twice a year - should keep that concrete cleaner then it is and that also looks dangerous when wet.

I completed the rest of my patio today, so much brighter now. It was literally a carpet of moss before which I scraped off with a spade and bagged up before I did the jetwashing. I just noticed that my upstairs neighbour's toilet cistern overflow has been dripping almost constantly onto my concrete, so no doubt that has been a big contributor. Also her kitchen sink outlet pipe has a cracked piece so that's also leaking onto the other end off my patio and my wall. So those will now be fixed.

Do you think this will work well?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLa6pIqX09oCFchj0wodIVsFXA

Or this Patio Magic is meant to be very effective but is considerably more expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patio-Magic-Killer-Liquid-Concentrate/dp/B001VEJCMQ

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I paid somewhere around 40 quid for 25 ltrs of moss killer concentrate - It was specifically roof moss killer not patio moss killer - I think it is stronger than patio cleaner because it also kills plants if it gets in contact - I don't have the container any more as I decanted it into 5 ltr containers to make it easier to handle.

At £6 the swarfega one is worth a punt - Plenty there to do a years worth of spraying -I couldn't see if it was concentrate- Spray it and see what happens - The Patio Killer is concentrate so you will have at least 20 ltrs worth of liquid.

Soldato
I think I paid somewhere around 40 quid for 25 ltrs of moss killer concentrate - It was specifically roof moss killer not patio moss killer - I think it is stronger than patio cleaner because it also kills plants if it gets in contact - I don't have the container any more as I decanted it into 5 ltr containers to make it easier to handle.

At £6 the swarfega one is worth a punt - Plenty there to do a years worth of spraying -I couldn't see if it was concentrate- Spray it and see what happens - The Patio Killer is concentrate so you will have at least 20 ltrs worth of liquid.

Thanks DX55. Hmm, decisions, decisions. I'll research into the Swarfega a bit more but will probably end up getting the Patio Magic.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a good set of assorted?

TurboGold from Screwfix are what I usually go with, big assorted box of various sizes is about £30 up. No idea if there are better out there (bound to be!) but they haven't caused me any grief (unlike the screws included with things which are made of a metal/cheese alloy).
Usual rules around pilot holes first, not overtorquing etc.

*edit - these are what I have atm... If I run out of a size I just go buy a box of that size and top it up.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/turbogol...unk-woodscrews-trade-grab-pack-1000-pcs/20938

Back
Top Bottom