What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I think you are maybe over analysing the whole silicone thing.

I've done countless baths, sinks, showers with a wet finger and got perfectly good results.

Imagine paying a plumber 3 days labour to silicone 12 inches of hand basin haha.

Soldato
Better to do it once, and right.Otherwise just end up in same position again.

DIY always takes a longer, if we were all pros at it we wouldn't be posting here! Far more respect for someone who over analyses and looks to do a proper job than someone who ham fists a bodge!

Associate
Bought a Nuaire Drimaster, wired it up to a plug so can use a socket instead of fused spur from lighting ring.

Just need to cut a hole in my ceiling for it.

Soldato
Last week wife came into computer room and said - The plug in bathroom basin has come off - can you put it back on - The plug doesn't come off what have you done - only snapped the plastic tube holding the plug -- You men like these little jobs - you keep telling me what they are doing on the forum so thought you needed a job.

I needed a new waste for basin with another click clack plug - got that last week - My only problem is my basin tees into the 40mm waste pipe for the shower tray and sometimes it syphons usually last thing at night when wife uses basin- So this week cut 40mm and put a air admittance valve in - didn't work - Problems in the basin waste down to shower waste - so today got all bit's took basin off cleaned it and re-assembled with a new waste and a air admittance bottle trap ( didn't know you could get them ?) and new set of taps plumber supplies sent me by mistake 5 yrs ago- - it's now all together fitted and so far leak proof - Just got to do a Merlin5 and mastic it in - My basin has a standup at back so never mastic to the wall - just a few inches underneath to wall and round the pedestal.- it's also screwed to the wall

Nice to hear that thud thud thud when you let a basin full of water out and you know the jobs a goodun - One thing I have learnt over the last few years is - I don't have to do it all today so never felt under any pressure so while waiting for Fenox-LS-X to go off on waste I cut two lawns-

Also bought two tubes for lights in garage - what a difference - gone from mankey yellow to white bright. or is that bright white

Been a good day today :D:D

Soldato
Lawn is coming along - A month works wonders

413997464.jpg

414030033.jpg

Soldato
  • Reworked a little bit of plumbing
  • Studded out the largest and most complex wall owing to the window surround. As per usual none of the existing building work is straight :rolleyes:
  • Fully boarded the smaller wall. Score and snap on cement board isn't quite as easy as plasterboard but it up works!
flat_reno_bathroom_stud_4.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_stud_5.jpg

Soldato
Better to do it once, and right.Otherwise just end up in same position again.

DIY always takes a longer, if we were all pros at it we wouldn't be posting here! Far more respect for someone who over analyses and looks to do a proper job than someone who ham fists a bodge!

Thanks for the props Sin. Well, after a little practise inside a cardboard box and getting used to it, I finally did the basin.

I had to pump some more over what I'd done as there wasn't enough in places, it takes some practise feeling how hard to push the trigger.

Struggled on the end bits and sides and I didn't get as much silicone there as I did the sides with my finger.

Well, here it is. *puts hand over face from embarrassment * :o. It's a bit rough lol. I probably need to do it again, or go over bits, or is it ok? :(
I couldn't avoid the silicone shaping itself into that grout line.

Soldato
That's great progress. I'm working on mine at the moment, I think I've just got a bit of time for it to work still.

You do realise that is the culmination of 12 months work -Kill -scrape-kill scrape -dig -rake- dig -rake -edge two sides -rake -level-rake -level -finally at end of the heatwave this year I seeded it. - was it worth the work - No -I have to cut it three times a week instead of once every two weeks. :D Thanks for the comments - it was at times really hard going and the wife had given up on me ever doing it. :eek: Just started on back lawn now so the next 12 months is pre -booked.

Soldato
  • Reworked a little bit of plumbing
  • Studded out the largest and most complex wall owing to the window surround. As per usual none of the existing building work is straight :rolleyes:
  • Fully boarded the smaller wall. Score and snap on cement board isn't quite as easy as plasterboard but it up works!

Insulation on the pipes... Spend a bit of time and make it all bit together nicely, no gaps!!! and tapes the joints.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You do realise that is the culmination of 12 months work -Kill -scrape-kill scrape -dig -rake- dig -rake -edge two sides -rake -level-rake -level -finally at end of the heatwave this year I seeded it. - was it worth the work - No -I have to cut it three times a week instead of once every two weeks. :D Thanks for the comments - it was at times really hard going and the wife had given up on me ever doing it. :eek: Just started on back lawn now so the next 12 months is pre -booked.

Ha, nothing is ever easy when you do it yourself! I've been half tempted to have it ripped out and start from scratch. It's very healthy looking you've done great.

Insulation on the pipes... Spend a bit of time and make it all bit together nicely, no gaps!!! and tapes the joints.

I want one of these https://www.pipelaggerpro.co.uk/ a few plumbers I know have them, I have zero need but nice neat lagging for the win.

Soldato

Will tape and fill the joints when I've finished boarding.

The insulstion on the pipes isn't for insulation, more for some cushioning / protection whilst I'm working around them.

Soldato
Getting there......

Angle grinder with concrete disc really helped doing the window opening cuts. Full PPE absolutely necessary, large clouds of nasty stuff!

Insulation was a total ballbag to do. Not perfect but better than nout.

flat_reno_bathroom_stud_6.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_stud_7.jpg

Soldato
Will tape and fill the joints when I've finished boarding.

The insulstion on the pipes isn't for insulation, more for some cushioning / protection whilst I'm working around them.

Ahh, makes perfect sense!
Having recently done a full insulation job on our airing cupboard (there was none other than on the HW tank) it made a HUGE difference getting everything as good a fit as possible and taping all the joins on the insulation. :)

Soldato
I had a bloody leak on bathroom basin after I renewed waste - Thought it was waste pipe but it turned out to be water running down threads on chrome waste - never had that before - good splodge of Fenox SL-X sealer round threads and used old larger flange nut and it's a good un - just going to give it a few days to settle in then seal up again. Some times I hate plumbing.

Have to say the air admittance valve works a treat so in the end a good job done - Also knowing what I know now - if I had a long pipe run I would fit a air admittance trap over a normal one just in case - the extra few quid could save a lot of hassle.

414031970.jpg

Back
Top Bottom