What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Wow, nice place Gayjin. I'm not jealous at all :p

Did second coat of golden brown Barrettine wood protective stain on front and back of shed while the weather was good today. Also did first coat on both side panels. I think there's just about enough left in the tin to second coat those two side panels tomorrow then it's finally done. Still wet in the photo and it doesn't stay quite that glossy and colourful once dry.

online photo hosting

Soldato
Anyone got any bright ideas how I can move all this heap of rubbish to take it to the local tip, or is tons of garden bags the only way? It stands about 4 foot high.

I do have an incinerator bin but it would take too long and I wouldn't be popular with the neighbours.

Soldato
Stick it in a 1t builders bag, and into the boot. I probably did a pile 10X this big this year. Not joking - probably 50 1t bags full.

Thanks, that's a good idea Skiddley! Never thought of a builders bag, much bigger than any garden bag. Hmm, I better not fill one up completely though or I'd never lift it. There's a builders depot near me, I wonder if they'd give me a free bag. I'll go and ask them tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Well I have been on a roll. Over the last two weekends I put up a bike store, completely sorted the garage with a gym and tinkering area. Unflatpacked a work bench and 4 sets of shelves. Assembled home gym (half rack etc.) and put down the garage floor. All been on the list for 4 years.

Soldato
Wow, nice place Gayjin. I'm not jealous at all :p

Did second coat of golden brown Barrettine wood protective stain on front and back of shed while the weather was good today. Also did first coat on both side panels. I think there's just about enough left in the tin to second coat those two side panels tomorrow then it's finally done. Still wet in the photo and it doesn't stay quite that glossy and colourful once dry.

online photo hosting

Merlin

Do yourself a favour if you can - put some gutter along each side - That will stop the rain coming off roof splashing back up sides of your shed. - just put down pipes to exit off the slabs

Soldato
Thanks, that's a good idea Skiddley! Never thought of a builders bag, much bigger than any garden bag. Hmm, I better not fill one up completely though or I'd never lift it. There's a builders depot near me, I wonder if they'd give me a free bag. I'll go and ask them tomorrow.

Yes, weight is usually the limiting factor!

They should sell you a couple for a few quid at the very least.

Associate
Replaced halogen bulbs with LEDs in kitchen cupboards... wondered why all so dim and the found out I had to switch the the halogen transformers for some more suitable for LEDS! Much happier they're now done and I no longer have to replace blown halogens...

Soldato
My winter project - cutting grass out in squares and bagging it to go to tip - Found loads of dead (I hope) chaffer grubs - the straw patches come up like picking a rug up off the carpet.
I sprayed lawns with nematodes earlier on to kill Chaffer grubs - I think it's going to be easier just to lift the old turf -rake level and re-sow grass. - Might edge left side and along the top and front.

414036248.jpg

Soldato
Yes, weight is usually the limiting factor!

They should sell you a couple for a few quid at the very least.

I got one from Builders Depot. £5.99! Still, it's proved a very good idea and will be useful for future use, saves having to use lots of bags for grass cuttings and weeds, it'll just all go in the big bag. I did about 4 trips to the tip today including old bricks and a load of wood. Was a bit tricky getting the bag through my flat from kitchen to front door without it getting stuck between the walls in some places. Then I mowed the grass (lol, I need a rotivator and a new lawn :p ) and then did some weeding.

20181024-135100.jpg

20181024-170145.jpg

Soldato
I got one from Builders Depot. £5.99! Still, it's proved a very good idea and will be useful for future use, saves having to use lots of bags for grass cuttings and weeds, it'll just all go in the big bag. I did about 4 trips to the tip today including old bricks and a load of wood. Was a bit tricky getting the bag through my flat from kitchen to front door without it getting stuck between the walls in some places. Then I mowed the grass (lol, I need a rotivator and a new lawn :p ) and then did some weeding.

Glad you're sorted!

Soldato
lol, I need a rotivator and a new lawn :p

20181024-170145.jpg

Easily sorted, no need for a rotavator and perfect time of year. Rake, then rake again 90 degrees different. Then rake again. Pull all the thatch and loose rubbish off.
Walk up and down with a fork (garden not kitchen) and make LOADS of holes all over it, helps to aerate.
Get some good grass seed (choice depends on location and use.. Might want a low maintenance one, or hard wearing (pets and kids) or heavy shaded etc) and liberally spread it all over. Then add sharp sand and compost over the top of that. Walk it all in.
By the spring you will have a healthy looking lawn. Bit of TLC, maybe another round of grass seed in the spring and it will be good to go.
Take care of it, aerate it and overseed it as needed and it will stay good and strong for a long time.

Soldato
Thanks samcat, appreciate those tips. There's quite a network of weed roots mostly at the end furthest from shed, and I get lot of weeds that come up regularly, particularly nettles. Before raking, wouldn't I need to properly dig down with a spade/hoe/shovel and turn over all the soil to remove this stuff otherwise there's a good chance they'll grow back through new grass?

Back
Top Bottom