What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
@Duke Nice work! I think that looks better than the polycarb imo, looks more like a proper room. Did you miss out the step with the insulation or is that silver foil the insulation? Looks like you could have stuffed some kingspan type boards between them timbers for a bit more insulation.

That is an amazing change it looks lovely

Thanks :), yeah I'm really happy how it turned out. Only thing i'd change is to buy a better arch as this was just a cheap one from ebay and looks a bit naff. I was hoping the rose and purple flower plant would bush out over it, but they only ever seem to reach half way.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Duke Nice work! I think that looks better than the polycarb imo, looks more like a proper room. Did you miss out the step with the insulation or is that silver foil the insulation? Looks like you could have stuffed some kingspan type boards between them timbers for a bit more insulation.
Yes its 40mm thick insulation and also reflects the heat back. I left a slight gap between it and the polycarb and when the sun was out it was almost too hot to put your hand in between, so could see it was working well.

Associate
Cmpleted a few odd-jobs that have been hanging round...

Filled some cracks in plasterboard with polyfilla ready for repainting (water damage resulting from issues with lead sheet on a small flat roof - that's already been replaced by roofers)

Resealed around bath with silicone - looks like last time the seal wasn't good enough as signs of mould and some signs of water getting through to downstairs

Soldato
Had a happy morning in the garage turning this -

414268082.jpg

Into these

414268084.jpg

Now I have lead -Alloy - and these steel jaw covers and a Alloy flat surface to work on.

414268083.jpg

I think next job is to clean and paint the Vise.

Soldato
I recently boarded the roof so its far cooler and more like a normal room

Its amazing it could make such a large difference but some how it is needed for a proper room. Looks very professional, I'm very jealous of everyone in this thread pretty much.

I managed to swap over a central heating pump but since everything has rusted stuck in place in for 30 years and I really dont consider myself a plumber to remake every pipe and valve I did it the rough and ready way which is to drain it then work 'offline'. After reading every document spec sheet and mildly related youtube video many times it seems the fine design of the maker has done me a favour and made it interchangable with decades old parts even and so I disassembled the face plate, seperating into base parts then unscrewed the last one and screwed in the new one (pretend I did it that easily, I didnt).
Grundfos is the maker I should recommend, I appreciate any design thats modular like that.

Forgot 1x O ring, really awful thing to miss as it will never seal properly, dont do that pro-tip but then squeezed that back in and tried again and it seems to be ok. The quantum leap from circa 1980 pumps to this new design as of last year is like warp speed engines, the last pump was upto 100db noise of death echoing on every pipe down to the boiler clearly not happy and never quiet, this one actually whushs like a kids toy with LED controls and fancy stuff. Tesla transplant for the Trabant basically to sum it up.
The last pump resembled this 30 years of debris not my pic, whole album if you like that sort of thing https://imgur.com/gallery/bTtycl0

Soldato
Just cut the mud and grass from around 30 or so paving slabs that lead up to my shed after nearly going arse over tit. I just plonked them onto the soil about 7 years ago and they have now sunk a bit too much, so looks like i'll have to get a few bags of sand to raise them up. Pretty impressed it took this long for them to sink, I guess the fact my garden it pretty much clay with an inch of soil on top helps..

Associate
Not done all in one day but have put in five 3.6m fence posts for an outdoor gym in the garden. Taken 60kg of postcrete per post in some pretty deep holes!

Tea Drinker
Don
One bag of postcrete is no where near enough for fencing, at least two.

One is fine for hundreds of meters of residential estate fencing that'll blow down in 5 years.

I'd like to look at the foam stuff at some point, looks interesting

Soldato
Bought a chainsaw-on-a-stick and took down a silver birch that was starting to get too big today. Having had professionals either not turn up to quote or dodgy ****** knocking on the door wanting £lol money I'd had enough, so went full Clarkson: "How hard can it be". Short answer is very, very easy. Trunk was about 7 inch diameter and the tree down in less than a minute. The stump has been left, we'll see if something new grows up from it.

50 quid well spent (65 with chain oil, goggles and a hard hat).

Already scoping out the overhanging branches for next weekend .....

Tea Drinker
Don
35 sqm of natural oak engineered flooring down, skirtings and architraves. Bit dusty, needs wiping over and oiling. Might of wished I'd bought laminate after having to oil it twice a year and once a month in the kitchen and hallway :p

bz3aAjg.jpg

Soldato
Made an indoor log store which I'm pretty happy with!

D03kFEo.jpg

Moved in a week ago but needed somewhere to put 4 blue Ikea bags full of logs. I reckon each bag was about 35kg, so ~140kg total, was a bit nervous the first night...

Tea Drinker
Don
Why oil so often and so much? Ours was oiled when it was installed and hasn't been touched in 5 years nearly. Treatex was the stuff we used.

Just the manufacturers guidelines :)

Maintenance
Apply BOEN Oil Freshen Up to your oiled hardwood floor from time to time; this applies particularly to floors that are placed under great strain and cleaned often. This care product will make oiled surfaces robust and damaged surfaces will have a silky matt natural shine again. Before applying, the floor should be dry and free of dirt. Apply Oil Freshen Up with a lint-free cloth. Leave the surface to dry and then polish it.

How often should this product be applied?
For floors subject to low stress, e.g. in bedrooms and living rooms: approx. 1–2 times a year. For floors subject to medium stress, e.g. in corridors or offices with people coming and going: approx. once a month depending on frequency of use.

Soldato
Made an indoor log store which I'm pretty happy with!

D03kFEo.jpg

Moved in a week ago but needed somewhere to put 4 blue Ikea bags full of logs. I reckon each bag was about 35kg, so ~140kg total, was a bit nervous the first night...

Did you wash and polish each log ?? -- Mine are covered with cob webs - wood lice - mouse droppings - fungus and whatever creepy crawley you can think of. :eek:
Looks neat though.

Soldato
Did you wash and polish each log ?? -- Mine are covered with cob webs - wood lice - mouse droppings - fungus and whatever creepy crawley you can think of. :eek:
Looks neat though.

Lol no, they've been stored indoors since purchasing though (they're primarily for a pizza oven and if they're damp it smokes to hell, though we do have a log stove now as well).

Back
Top Bottom