What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Finished the workshop (well, as finished as anything like this can be).

Specs:
Tiger Sheds XL Workshop 14x8
Addition roof beams for strength
Safety-glass windows
Acrylic secondary glazing
Breathable membrane on all surfaces
50mm Jablite insulation on walls and ceiling
Plasterboard on all walls followed by a skim
Hardboard on ceiling
Carpet tiles on floor
LED smart lighting
30A circuit
4 x double sockets
100mm extractor
Alarm

Did everything myself apart from the skimming as I suck at it so got a mate to do it. I had help from a bunch of mates to do the superstructure build and the concrete base.

I built the big bench with the mitre-saw out of 2x2 and floorboards. It came out pretty good. I'll probably build some drawers for it at a later date.

g0kcHtb.jpg

NR0p9m5.jpg

mC8s4v8.jpg

Zh9LhaD.jpg

igplyGm.jpg

3mL49dK.jpg

Wish I had gone done something like this. I paid 3k for a 44mm cabin, 1k install and 1k concrete.. leaks through side corners, needs cladding i think more expense.

Associate
Finished the workshop (well, as finished as anything like this can be).

Specs:
Tiger Sheds XL Workshop 14x8
Addition roof beams for strength
Safety-glass windows
Acrylic secondary glazing
Breathable membrane on all surfaces
50mm Jablite insulation on walls and ceiling
Plasterboard on all walls followed by a skim
Hardboard on ceiling
Carpet tiles on floor
LED smart lighting
30A circuit
4 x double sockets
100mm extractor
Alarm

Did everything myself apart from the skimming as I suck at it so got a mate to do it. I had help from a bunch of mates to do the superstructure build and the concrete base.

I built the big bench with the mitre-saw out of 2x2 and floorboards. It came out pretty good. I'll probably build some drawers for it at a later date.

Awesome. I'm jealous.

Don
Today I added blinds to the workshop and built shelves in the cuboard that is now clear of my junk. The wife is happy as it's going to be a dry-food store.
I still need to filler the old holes from the shelves that were in there before but you get the idea.

It gave me an opportunity to try out my new pocket hole jig too. It's ace.

mAUBVNC.jpg

Soldato
Yeah I think I used some 400/320g wet and dry, just to de-nib between coats. I think some people use fine wire wool as its not as likely to sand through the finish at edges etc.

Soldato
Were Were having all our old doors :

yCm5xPv.jpg

Swapped out for the same door but pre finished during ongoing extension and remodelling works :

Wl4yhZ2.jpg

With the glazed panel version to two rooms:

y1jq9gH.jpg

And the four panel shaker to a new ensuite - that does need finishing

x2TeIBX.jpg

Also got to finish the new oak staircase as well ......

uO7pyHR.jpg

pZ0M0ZM.jpg

Did some tests on off cuts today and prefer one coat over two

Soldato
Not really sure as it's all wrapped up in the figure from the builder and it's almost a year ago since we agreed on the price for the work were having done

It's from stairbox and they have an online stairbuilder which shows the price as you create and edit it

Don
Jobs completed this weekend:

Built two drawers from timber and fitted to the workbench.
Ran network out to the workshop and set up an access point (ShedLyfe is the AP name :p ).
Installed Tasmota on a bunch of Sonoff switches and smart plugs for the workshop and added to Home Assistant.
Built a subwoofer box for an old 10" driver I had kicking around.
Set up the 5.1 audio system in the workshop (Yamaha AV amp, Tannoy bookshelf speakers, and the aforementioned sub).
Added a shelf to the medicine cabinet in the kitchen.
Set up two solar powered, motion sensitive LED lamps to light the walkway between the house and the workshop.

Soldato
Just replaced the filling loop on the combi boiler -The old one was fitted so the stop valve bit came forward at 90 deg to back wall - not a problem originally but I have boxed the boiler in so only way you could fill system was with a dumpy screwdriver. awkward !
Got a new one - turned water off and undone tap -easy small amount of water. On the one way valve you can undo the flexi pipe - Fine but it was stuck fast so had to undo the fitting and drain out what I thought would be the pipes above boiler and up to gate valves - eventually water stopped and it all got fitted. pressured up with no problem - New loop valve has a tap rather than screwdriver slot.

I used to enjoy a bit of plumbing but not now.

Associate
Fixed up the guttering on the conservatory and cleaned it out.
Combination of goop, brackets that had become brittle and a downpour that was just to much and resulting in a bunch of them failing.

Soldato
So far, undercoated and painted sons room after skimming (not by me), new skirting fitted with scribed internals, new radiator and trvs installed. I also put a hole in a pipe so had to repair that!

Am now working on the landing and have painted the ceiling after plastering to get rid of artex. Have also skimmed the hallway after removing dado rails.

To do - paint the hallway, fit new plugs and light switches, new light fittings and a new bannister. Also have painted the walls white so now several doors look yellow next to it so need glossed......

I hate this type of work but have struggled to find reliable tradespeople tbh.

Associate
I sprayed wd40 ptfe onto the fins and plastic inlet and outlet to stop/reduce build up of cack, hopefully it will work. bearings left alone. ;)

Soldato
I've got a leak in my hot water tank cupboard as evidenced by the slight pooling of water underneath it and the staining on the ceiling below.

So today's man job was to close the door and walk away because I just don't have the energy right now.

Cry

Back
Top Bottom