What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Today's man job is to get the above sorted out because upon checking it later the water was creeping dangerously close to the electrics for the nest system, which for some reason are mounted on the floor, and is thus in danger of burning the house down.

Soldato
Cut down my small blackthorn hedge and burnt it in a dustbin on the field - main reason is blackthorn sends out loads of runners/suckers and they were invading the garden - next one is in front garden where the suckers are invading the lawn.

Tea Drinker
Don
Oiled up more flooring. I might yet again regret buying a whole house of timber flooring that needs oiling every so often.

This is second coat, first coat I applied as instructions and it looked naff. I've now doubled the amount on other floors and they are holding up better.

Bring back cheap homebase laminate :p

6vPQtfL.jpg

Soldato
They should invent a laminate that is made from real wood. Take a veneer of real timber, stabilise it with resin and then add a wear layer like there is on laminate flooring. Then you get the best of both worlds. There must be a reason this isn't possible though or it would have probably been done.

Soldato
Isn’t that basically what decent ‘proper’ laminate is already? Base layer, real wood veneer and a clear wear layer on top?

I thought it was the cheap stuff that had fake wood in it.

Soldato
Isn’t that basically what decent ‘proper’ laminate is already? Base layer, real wood veneer and a clear wear layer on top?

I didn't think anything like that existed. I think you can get pre-finished engineered wood flooring, but i'm guessing this will need to be treated again in future. I haven't really looked into flooring for a good few years though.

Soldato

Laminate is just a photo which is laminated onto fibreboard. What you are describing sounds more like engineered flooring. I have just laid howdens pre finished dark oak in my house. Its base layer, veneer then a lacquer.

Soldato
Painted the new utility room ready for the units / worktop and Belfast sink going in tomorrow

1EeYFAt.jpg

Then sealed the new oak staircase (well most of it) ahead of it being carpeted (runner rather than full stair width) on the 20th

Will clean / light sand and prep the treaders and risers as close as possible to install date

Also painted the wall next to the stair ahead of the final oak strip to close the gap between the stringer and wall

r1WtSi3.jpg

avXSYc9.jpg

slO2PH1.jpg

CJvlJzO.jpg

Mid spindle

LcYNOux.jpg

It was quite dark when first applied (I'd used the tester before splashing out on a full run) but dries lighter (more a warming than a colouring) and really brings out the grain

Goes on surprisingly well and can't believe how little almost a full staircase needed !

zE9xDsx.jpg

Will come in for coats in future years and have a few doors need doing too

Back
Top Bottom