What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I'm sorting out my home network, so have a new network switch to accommodate. I also wanted to tidy up some cables and give my firewall a better home. My desk has a cupboard where my PC lives (door open when on!) and there was space alongside that. I didn't want to block the bottom vents on the switch & firewall and also thought they might fall over just stood vertically. I had a rummage through my spare timber pile in the garage and fired up Sketch-up...

jjMzls8l.jpg

GXjfv2rl.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the result for a Mark I attempt. My mitre saw has roughed up the edges a little, so a bit more time sanding to tidy them up is needed, though I am tempted to get some nicer timber at some point (I used cheap PSE) and make a smarter looking Mark II.

I did buy a band clamp from Amazon to help when gluing the A-frames together and I also got to learn about cutting 60 degree angles on a mitre saw which stops at 45 degrees. A very satisfying few hours drawing and then building it :)

I haz 4090!
Don
I put coving up at the weekend in a room that's slightly under 4m by 3m. First time I've done it, I went with plaster coving and did it on my own. Messy and took about two days to get it all up, filled, painted and sorted. Attempting the long pieces on my own was a daft idea, it would have been miles easier with two. I did quite enjoy it when it was done though, I think I'll get some supercove for the other rooms.

Soldato
Good effort @Worthy. I've never done it on my own before as I know how much of a pain it is. I always use gyproc plaster coving (127) and the 3.6 - 4.2m lengths are pretty heavy on their own. Did you have some long bits of wood to use as wedges? :D

kai

kai

Soldato
Top end of the garden never gets used and is merely artificial grass for the dog to run about on. Now that we have extension, with the bi-folds opening on to grass we tend to use this area more when friends and family are over. There was a lot of wasted space used up by plants etc to the side of the house.

Omfl7hE.jpg

Removed over 2 ton of soil from behind the sleepers yesterday.

9s72d14.jpg

This is what i gave the builder yesterday that i designed. Less of the "man job" part that i could do!
MrFh4U3.jpg

Progress. Its deceiving how big the deck is and how much wasted space we had. Its just over 16 m2
uiClQVf.jpg

Soldato
Split a bag of logs this morning - they come split but they are still much too big for my small wood burner. Best thing I ever purchased was electric/hydraulic log splitter. Getting expensive now -£60 for 0.7ton bag of mixed. - won't go there again.

I haz 4090!
Don
Good effort @Worthy. I've never done it on my own before as I know how much of a pain it is. I always use gyproc plaster coving (127) and the 3.6 - 4.2m lengths are pretty heavy on their own. Did you have some long bits of wood to use as wedges? :D

I had some panel pins in my pocket and that was about it. Ended up having to go over basically all four walls with a wet sponge to get the adhesive off when I'd finished haha!

Soldato
After taking a crack back to the blockwork above the window of the bathroom, I'd rebuilt the plaster. No further cracking so today I spend sanding back the new plaster using a incidental light and several hole fills (radiator and corrected a previous attempt to fill another hole). Then three coats of poly filler base coat, and just put on the first paint coat. Looking good so far. One or two more coats of paint and then it's refitting the radiator etc. Still have to sort out the skirting board, the coving and the ceiling.

Tomorrow the skip arrives and I start the move of 8 tons of sand and topsoil.

Caporegime
Not today but yesterday I finished off tidying the garden and on the weekend laid the turf. Garden makeover pretty much complete.

And for anyone wondering what it was like before. (This is just after I started digging)

All dug by hand. Whole old patio was dug down approx 700mm and wheelbarrowed out by myself.

Lovely job that

Associate
Trying to level out the garden a bit, so after removing the decking, dug footings for retaining wall.

IMG-20200801-180815.jpg

built (or at least started to build) retaining wall.

IMG-20200802-200541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom