What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Replaced two radiators in the kitchen which should be a simple job but those sort of things never are and it took hours. That said, the new rads look far better than the old ones which had been painted who knows how many times and the wall behind is now also painted the correct colour.

Caporegime
Replaced two radiators in the kitchen which should be a simple job but those sort of things never are and it took hours. That said, the new rads look far better than the old ones which had been painted who knows how many times and the wall behind is now also painted the correct colour.

Boils my blood when people don't remove radiators when they paint, I can understand it if it's full on copper pipes but 9/10 it's those Flexi pipes!

Soldato
To be fair mine were on plastic and it does make easier to get them on and off. The issues when replacing rads is that they are always slightly different dimensions between brands despite being standard sizes.

Soldato
To be fair mine were on plastic and it does make easier to get them on and off. The issues when replacing rads is that they are always slightly different dimensions between brands despite being standard sizes.
I swapped mine from something daft like a 1100 to a 1095 and was bricking it. Luckily the pipework had just enough play to make it work. I double lucked out as it was half the thickness too.

Hate messing with rads, although it was a pleasure this time around. Confident enough to swap all the others rather than paint now.

We'll see how half the BTUs works in winter! However it was a way too hot room before so maybe I've rebalanced it :o

Soldato
I (re) put up a curtain rail in our bedroom.

I first put it up a few months ago and the plaster is so thick and sandy in that room even with careful drilling and plugging I was left with some massive holes. Packed them the best I could then hoped they would stay.

They didn't and have been down about 2 weeks while I found a solution.

Ended up using some "wetnfix" pads which came up in a Google search to deal with such issues. I was very skeptical especially given the size of some of the holes. However with a bit of further research they appeared to have glowing reports on multiple sites.

For the price i thought I'd give it a go and am honestly very impressed. So far so good

IMG-20210905-195825.jpg

Caporegime
Got the rad out and started to sand the wall down before realising the paint (and large chunks of plaster) was no good. Ended up scraping to where it was 'good'. When I moved in a trickle vent was letting water in so I imagine that (plus the fact it had a rad far too close to the wall) contributed. Plan to fill, sand, PVA and paint.

I'm at the point in the job where you ask yourself "why did I start this?" :o

qRoBRIC.jpeg

Like that exposed brick and shutters. Was thinking of shutters. But they are damn expensive!

Soldato
Like that exposed brick and shutters. Was thinking of shutters. But they are damn expensive!
At least quote the post where I had finished the decorating :p

I agree shutters are mega bux but these guys were actually inexpensive at £210 (and the ones in my bathroom) - from Blinds2Go no less. Obviously depends on your window size. Don't bother paying someone to fit them if you are mildly DIY literate.

Caporegime
At least quote the post where I had finished the decorating :p

I agree shutters are mega bux but these guys were actually inexpensive at £210 (and the ones in my bathroom) - from Blinds2Go no less. Obviously depends on your window size. Don't bother paying someone to fit them if you are mildly DIY literate.

Yeah same place I was looking at actually.
Would be looking at 2 windows each about 2.5x-3x your size.
And yeah absolutely self fit. The fitted places.. The prices are ridiculous!

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Put four shelves up yesterday for the missus; used the GripIt fittings for the lot; quite impressed with them tbh. Aside from one where the plasterboard was double thickness right up against the external wall and caused some seating issues. They stayed up overnight too so it just have worked :D

Soldato
Yeah same place I was looking at actually.
Would be looking at 2 windows each about 2.5x-3x your size.
And yeah absolutely self fit. The fitted places.. The prices are ridiculous!
The other one I used was California Shutters who IIRC had a gimmick that they supply B&Q. Often had voucher codes or "new customer" type pop-ups.

Soldato
We had shutters put in 3 rooms at the front. Got 3 quotes from 3 companies and they were all within £15 of each other. Turns out, because they all get their shutters form the same factory in China. Including Hillary's and 2 local places.

Soldato
We had shutters put in 3 rooms at the front. Got 3 quotes from 3 companies and they were all within £15 of each other. Turns out, because they all get their shutters form the same factory in China. Including Hillary's and 2 local places.
Yeah the ones I ordered from California Shutters and Blinds2Go were identical.

Back
Top Bottom