What "man jobs" have you done today?

Made some floating shelves out of an old scaff board. Brute force and ignorance as I didn't have a 14mm wood bit that was long enough :D

Zt2lDzp.jpeg

Edit:

Fitted them and did the boxing in. Not quite chuffed with it (the panelling was way thinner than I anticipated), but it'll do pig. For now at least!

ES6vl8y.jpg

Odwtjam.jpg

Final coat will go on once I get the window replaced as it'll no doubt need the interior fixing in areas. The ceiling "piece" is until I lift the bathroom and can attach a noggin from the other side (aka its probably permanently going to be like that). I did put a bevel on it, anticipating it'll be a super low priority for years to come lol.

Edit2: I also cut the picture rail short; mainly to remind myself every day that I cut it short and to drive me mental in a progressive, drawn out way.

Last edited:
As #WinterIsComing :P

Decided to do a bit of sorting / checking

The oldest batch of home seasoned (December last year) timber is in good sun (when it's out)

1000032568-01.jpg

So gave it a random moisture test

1000032570-01.jpg

1000032571-01.jpg

Should be more than ok to burn this winter

The other store / logs are a few months behind

And a little more sheltered from direct sun

1000032573-01.jpg

1000032577-01.jpg

Not too bad but can be left until next winter if not the winter after

Was pleasantly surprised with what was left of the last bought (seasoned) load

1000032654-01.jpg

Dragged it round / up onto the front porch into the little store where it's quick and easy to get to

1000032668-01.jpg

And took the opportunity for a sit down and appreciate the view :)

1000032656-01.jpg

Anyone know where I can get something like this to connect to a broken bit of solvent weld pipe?

I snapped my solvent welded elbow whilst taking my shower tray out (doh!) and i think to fix it would require drilling out the floor and changing the coupling on the 110mm piece

NxRkOsz.jpeg

Check. The state of how this shower was previously fitted :X

nIxlG1a.jpeg

NAl3TzT.jpeg

pB5co7z.jpeg

I can't help specifically - but I did see a lad cut off a solvent weld and then "burr it out"? with a specific tool; he then solvent welded a new fitting inside.

Aye thats what I want just need to know/find the tool...

I'm getting my plumber in for some other bits so hopefully he knows!
It was a 'murican or a Turkish unfortunately, so possibly super rare here :(

Edit: you could chance your luck they've done a crap job and sink a boiling kettle over it:

Last edited:
Cut the rhubarb down. We have so much of it we usually just give it away to people in the village. Also just reversed the door on the new tumble dryer. Not a difficult job after watching a couple of youtube videos.

Simple job for me today, been using energy monitoring plugs around the house to see what's using the most electricity and where I can save any.

Had two in my bedroom for the last week, one monitoring my bedroom TV (Sony KD-49XH9505), AP and Air Purifier and the other monitoring my computer, monitor (Alienware AW3418DW), Alexa and cordless phone.

Power usage for my computer, monitor, Alexa and phone was around 24w when my computer and monitor were turned off. After playing with a load of sleep state and USB settings in my BIOS, I realised my monitor was using 20w in standby and 19w when it was switched off. Turning the Power Saving settings on in the menu do nothing when it's switched on, or in standby, but drop the usage to 0.5w when switched off.

The power usage for my TV, AP and Air Purifier was 30w when the TV was in standby. The Air Purifier uses 1w and the AP 4w so the TV was eating 25w of electricity. Read up about it and it was the built in Google Assistant which after disabling, also dropped the standby usage to 0.5w.

Probably saved me north of 300kWh's a year for equipment that's turned off/in standby.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom