What "man jobs" have you done today?

Was looking for some dark charcoal bricks to use as edging on the edge of a sandstone patio, so purchased some of these

i was a bit dissapointed to find that they have a lot of white residue all over them which is staining them on purchase, i thought a wash down would help, sticking them in a few buckets full of water and giving them a douse with a hose, i layed them on the edge and tbh it looked really good with a wet look when they were wet, really dark

sadly when they dried up they were a lot lighter and still had white residue stains all over them

anyone know why this is and if there is any way of either getting rid of the random white residue or somehow staining them ?

Was looking for some dark charcoal bricks to use as edging on the edge of a sandstone patio, so purchased some of these

i was a bit dissapointed to find that they have a lot of white residue all over them which is staining them on purchase, i thought a wash down would help, sticking them in a few buckets full of water and giving them a douse with a hose, i layed them on the edge and tbh it looked really good with a wet look when they were wet, really dark

sadly when they dried up they were a lot lighter and still had white residue stains all over them

anyone know why this is and if there is any way of either getting rid of the random white residue or somehow staining them ?
You could try putting a wet look driveway sealer on them and getting the wet look permanently.
i would just do it to one first to test it out.

Its salt deposits within the bricks, very normal. Use an acidic cleaner or even white vinegar. I’d think it would fade over time anyway.
You could try putting a wet look driveway sealer on them and getting the wet look permanently.
i would just do it to one first to test it out.

Cheers i will look at the recommendation to see if they are options, i would rather have the wet darker look with no white staining on them, so if these are options i will try them,

If not i will need to source a different supplier, maybe the same place i got my sandstone slabs from to see if they have dark edging with better quality

Spraying the fences that I put back in April. :o Better late then never.

Actually quite therapeutic when you got a compressor as it is no where near as bad as using a brush.

e2JHzuT.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers i will look at the recommendation to see if they are options, i would rather have the wet darker look with no white staining on them, so if these are options i will try them,

If not i will need to source a different supplier, maybe the same place i got my sandstone slabs from to see if they have dark edging with better quality

Just had a look at some wet look patio/driveway sealer,

i dont mind doing this but it seems that it only lasts about a year before you have to re-apply, i think the containers look to be around £50 ?

if it was a £10-15 or £20 product, i would probably go for it but for a £50-70 sealant product, probably more than i was willing to pay

Last edited:
Nothing myself, but we have a collapsed drain pipe or some such under the house. Who knows how they’re going to solve that one. Fortunately it’s owned by the water board.

Last edited:
Just had a look at some wet look patio/driveway sealer,

i dont mind doing this but it seems that it only lasts about a year before you have to re-apply, i think the containers look to be around £50 ?

if it was a £10-15 or £20 product, i would probably go for it but for a £50-70 sealant product, probably more than i was willing to pay
I would have thought a wet look sealent world also lock in the salt and potentially hi light it more.

Another job today - wife has been moaning for ages the Vac is getting hot so I change bag and filters and she comes back saying it's still getting hot - I tell her if you are using it 12 hrs a day what do you expect.

Well it turned out as dereliction of duty on my part. We have had this Miele vac a number of years and today is first time I have cleaned floor brush - got more fluff in it than the bag.

Going like a train now.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom