What "man jobs" have you done today?

Simple job for me today, been using energy monitoring plugs around the house to see what's using the most electricity and where I can save any.

Had two in my bedroom for the last week, one monitoring my bedroom TV (Sony KD-49XH9505), AP and Air Purifier and the other monitoring my computer, monitor (Alienware AW3418DW), Alexa and cordless phone.

Power usage for my computer, monitor, Alexa and phone was around 24w when my computer and monitor were turned off. After playing with a load of sleep state and USB settings in my BIOS, I realised my monitor was using 20w in standby and 19w when it was switched off. Turning the Power Saving settings on in the menu do nothing when it's switched on, or in standby, but drop the usage to 0.5w when switched off.

The power usage for my TV, AP and Air Purifier was 30w when the TV was in standby. The Air Purifier uses 1w and the AP 4w so the TV was eating 25w of electricity. Read up about it and it was the built in Google Assistant which after disabling, also dropped the standby usage to 0.5w.

Probably saved me north of 300kWh's a year for equipment that's turned off/in standby.
Interesting that the monitor and TV were both guilty - the 0.5W figure is pertinent. There's an EC directive that requires TVs to use <0.5 watts in standby, I expect it applies to the monitor too. But it seems that can be undermined by smart features or, probably, quick-start type features.

Interesting that the monitor and TV were both guilty - the 0.5W figure is pertinent. There's an EC directive that requires TVs to use <0.5 watts in standby, I expect it applies to the monitor too. But it seems that can be undermined by smart features or, probably, quick-start type features.
Yeah, the TV I can understand, with the amount of network and smart assistant features built in to them nowadays, but the monitor makes no sense at all. It was literally pulling 19w with the power button switched off and I've always left it on standby.

Even went as far as swapping the extension lead in case it was something stupid like the little red bulb eating the electric :o

Started tidying up the lawn that has been a bit neglected over the last couple of months. Cut it down short then knocked up a border out of 50x75mm fence post and some spiked metal corner brackets. Had a couple of bags of top soil so dumped that on and raked it out. A couple more afternoons work and it should be somewhat enjoyable out there again.

Check. The state of how this shower was previously fitted :X

nIxlG1a.jpeg

That's shocking. It's the reason why I'm not lifting the shower tray when I eventually get round to doing the shower room unless I really have to. I don't want to see the bodge the previous installer has done, the lack of sealing and ventilation in the room has been enough of a crap job so far.

That's shocking. It's the reason why I'm not lifting the shower tray when I eventually get round to doing the shower room unless I really have to. I don't want to see the bodge the previous installer has done, the lack of sealing and ventilation in the room has been enough of a crap job so far.
Aye i was worried when I put mine under a bed of mortar it wasn't thick enough to cover all undulations but evidently can get away with a lot worse :X.

To be fair it still held up fine!

There's 6 recycling wheelie bins where I live all shared between 8 apartments in a block. Usually an older bloke always puts them out before he goes to bed but he takes them round the corner to the main road one at a time and it takes him about 20 minutes. Today I decided to be neighbourly and give the old bloke a rest so I just put them out myself, 2 at a time like a proper binman would, and the job was done in 5 minutes. Bish bash bosh. I feel like a hero right now so I'm treating myself to an ice cold can of Guinness :D

There's 6 recycling wheelie bins where I live all shared between 8 apartments in a block. Usually an older bloke always puts them out before he goes to bed but he takes them round the corner to the main road one at a time and it takes him about 20 minutes. Today I decided to be neighbourly and give the old bloke a rest so I just put them out myself, 2 at a time like a proper binman would, and the job was done in 5 minutes. Bish bash bosh. I feel like a hero right now so I'm treating myself to an ice cold can of Guinness :D

I'm not sure if it's me but I wouldn't be bragging about this.. Sounds like you've watched this older guy take out your and your neighbours recycling for a while but are now feeling good about yourself because you did it once lol.

I'm not sure if it's me but I wouldn't be bragging about this.. Sounds like you've watched this older guy take out your and your neighbours recycling for a while but are now feeling good about yourself because you did it once lol.

The problem with your comment is that you don't know this old chap. He's lived here 20 years and he's very set in his ways and territorial about the building and he even mows all the lawns and trims all the hedges etc. We all talk to him regularly and we all get along just fine but he does not like changes to his routine. He's retired, probably a bit bored too, and he's told us all he likes going outside doing stuff so that's why none of us usually go and move the bins as we don't want to offend or upset him. He's been looking a bit unwell lately so I thought it would be helpful for him if I moved the bins for a change and I plan to talk to my other neighbours about this tomorrow.

The next time you feel like jumping to wrong conclusions it would be a good idea to ask some questions first.

The problem with your comment is that you don't know this old chap. He's lived here 20 years and he's very set in his ways and territorial about the building and he even mows all the lawns and trims all the hedges etc. We all talk to him regularly and we all get along just fine but he does not like changes to his routine. He's retired, probably a bit bored too, and he's told us all he likes going outside doing stuff so that's why none of us usually go and move the bins as we don't want to offend or upset him. He's been looking a bit unwell lately so I thought it would be helpful for him if I moved the bins for a change and I plan to talk to my other neighbours about this tomorrow.

The next time you feel like jumping to wrong conclusions it would be a good idea to ask some questions first.
This just makes you seem even more like a bell. You know he enjoys it, and its part of his routine, so you thought you'd go and mess with him? :S

• Angry
Reactions: HC1
This just makes you seem even more like a bell. You know he enjoys it, and its part of his routine, so you thought you'd go and mess with him? :S

Did you miss the part where I said he's been looking unwell lately? If trying to help a stubborn elderly man who looks sick makes me a bell, then I'm happy to be called a bell ! I hope someone in my community cares about "me" as much when I'm his age.

So you thought you would just mess with his routine.. it’s not sounding any better but you do you :cry:

Ok here you go.. well done for stepping up and manning up taking your own rubbish out for a change lol

Old man becomes unwell due to taking his and all other neighbours trash out for nearly 5 years… daily mail headline right there

Muted-Ignored for being a total troll/troublemaker/idiot. I'm sure you will still keep posting more dumb comments but thankfully I won't see them now and won't need to respond to your level of trash talk!

Anyone know where I can get something like this to connect to a broken bit of solvent weld pipe?

I snapped my solvent welded elbow whilst taking my shower tray out (doh!) and i think to fix it would require drilling out the floor and changing the coupling on the 110mm piece

NxRkOsz.jpeg

Check. The state of how this shower was previously fitted :X

It’s possible to teplace solvent weld. You can either save the fitting or the pipe. I had todo this with UPVC pope for a pond filter.
Several guides on the interwebs but basically I found dremelling the fitting the using a chisel worked best.
Replacement worked without a leak.

Back
Top Bottom