What "man jobs" have you done today?

Had a go at fitting my first trickle vent to a one of the windows. I'm planning on doing 5 to help with moisture during winter.

After doing the first one in a couple of hours, I think I can do the rest much quicker. Trying to cut out the section seems to be a bit of a waste of time compared to just drilling holes.

And thoroughly gunged them into place, with some added finger painting to blend the artex (asbestos free thankfully)

How did you verify this please? I have a few ceilings with artex / stippling that I'm going to plaster over, but since I'm fitting downlights into them I will create lots of dust that I need to ensure is not dangerous.

Can you recommend a home test kit? Or was it confirmed through a buyer's survey?

Had a go at fitting my first trickle vent to a one of the windows. I'm planning on doing 5 to help with moisture during winter.

Interesting. I invested a lot of time in my last house doing the opposite i.e. getting rid of the ******* :p.

How did you verify this please? I have a few ceilings with artex / stippling that I'm going to plaster over, but since I'm fitting downlights into them I will create lots of dust that I need to ensure is not dangerous.

Can you recommend a home test kit? Or was it confirmed through a buyer's survey?

Interesting. I invested a lot of time in my last house doing the opposite i.e. getting rid of the ******* :p.
There is a test which is about 60 quid most local plasterers should be able to help you out with this.

Last edited:
I have trickle vents and none of them have been open for 13 yrs. Draught is horrendous.

Oh - Bathroom one is open a touch so when fan goes on it sucks from vent not from under the door.

Had 2 new windows put in lounge early in year and asked them not to put vents in (Law now) they wouldn't so vents in new windows.

Last edited:
embed

Not sure whether to add 1 shelf to the left side and 2 to the right, was thinking just 1 shelf and then see how much they move as atm a strong gust makes them wobble. I might add a hardboard back to them too, at some point they will also get screwed to the wall. Note they are handed.

Also cut some quadrants up, can see some of them on top.

Last edited:
I have trickle vents and none of them have been open for 13 yrs. Draught is horrendous.

Oh - Bathroom one is open a touch so when fan goes on it sucks from vent not from under the door.

Had 2 new windows early in year and asked them not to put vents in (Law now) they wouldn't so vents in new windows.
These are for bathrooms. Want to allow a bit of air in without having the window open.

I absolutely hate powerline networking plugs, so despite it working fine for a year I removed it and ran a hard-line.

Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead well enough, or at least, I didn't spot the counter intuitive side of the house was such an easy way to get backhaul to the sheds. So I've had to link the underfloor cable to the backhaul cable using this mini patch lead - annoyingly I only relaid the floor recently and could have done it fully permanently under the floor to the Comms area. Long term this wire will be cut off when I rip the side return up and lay a new cable direct to the Comms under the stairs.

LjdTl0L.jpeg

Removed the powerline plug and made up a wire to connect to the switch.

UIDxZEP.jpeg

And fitted a switch that'll handle a couple of cameras. Only one fitted so far.

5snhfKS.jpeg

Long term I'll run separate cables for each camera to the under stairs so I can use PoE switches etc.

Put in an outdoor warm water tap for the dog with autumn here she’s getting muddier on walk’s and it’s to clean her off with.
I hope you all put in a stop tap in a possition you can easily turn them off -Also get one with a lever not a slot -You can keep tap free much easier turning small handle on and off.

When we got the keys last year, I immediately took 4 samples using my own kit and sent them off. You can also order the kit which includes gloves, bags etc for a few quid more. I believe it was about £35 for 4 samples. Initially identified asbestos in the garage ceiling panels, but none in textured walls/ceilings. Then after inspecting the house more I wasn't convinced so sent 4 more samples off of the ceiling coating from each floor. All negative on those so crack on :)

The basic process is: disposable overalls, bag shoes up, hood/mask/gloves etc. Spray area with water and break off 1 inch piece with knife or screwdriver into Ziploc bag. Double bag into second Ziploc. Label bag, place all 4 into envelope/jiffy bag. Place this envelope into a second envelope with form filled out. Post to test agency.

Then clean tools with wet wipes, bag and dispose of all the PPE etc.

Last edited:
I hope you all put in a stop tap in a possition you can easily turn them off -Also get one with a lever not a slot -You can keep tap free much easier turning small handle on and off.
I did indeed, I like to put stops in on every job i do. The plumber who did this house was averse to them so any time i have to change something or fix a leak its stop tap time.

Back
Top Bottom