What "man jobs" have you done today?

Like you said I’d definitely add a back for strength, as for shelves can you add the items you want in and position them to see how they look?
Yea, I also made a schoolboy error. I've raised it up to clear the skirting, but not thought to take the height if the verticals. I'm going to have to dismantle and trim otherwise the lego models will be 10cm too tall :mad: .

I don't like going through the winter without any water in the inside taps.

When you experience a frozen up and split pipe in the garage you might think again- I did have a stop tap on it about 2ft from tap outside. I had opened the tap but it was one of those that stop back flow so the pipe didn't drain.
The boiler and all pipes are now lagged .
:)

This weekend:
Fitted new lights to the in-laws utility room
Strimmed the front garden
Painted the gate to cover up all the claw marks the local moggies have made
Moved over all my tools into my new tool box and reorganized all the bits and bobs

I don't like going through the winter without any water in the inside taps.

When you experience a frozen up and split pipe in the garage you might think again- I did have a stop tap on it about 2ft from tap outside. I had opened the tap but it was one of those that stop back flow so the pipe didn't drain.
The boiler and all pipes are now lagged .
:)
Oh for sure, when it comes to isolating external taps. But I wouldn't be religiously fitting them everywhere.

Personally I like to have the convenience of locally isolating something so tend to fit them as I go. Also we have a hot water tank so a drain down at 300l is inconvenient when the shower/ hot tap is leaking due to an expired washer. Your milage may vary though as they are flow restrictors :) Maybe its the sign of a bad/unconfident plumber but water always finds a way to leak IMO.

Do you mean isolation valves?
Yes - my bad.

Personally I like to have the convenience of locally isolating something so tend to fit them as I go. Also we have a hot water tank so a drain down at 300l is inconvenient when the shower/ hot tap is leaking due to an expired washer. Your milage may vary though as they are flow restrictors :) Maybe its the sign of a bad/unconfident plumber but water always finds a way to leak IMO.
Rules of engagement in my house, lol:
Isolate hot water tank
Isolate F&E tank if fitted
Isolate mains stop ****.
Appliance valves on washer/dishwasher.

I just hate compression fittings tbh. :D

I also like be able to isolate hot/cold supply to areas and end devices and have a lot of isolation valves as a result. It's handy to be able to do work and not worry about finishing that day (or having to put temporary stops end on).

The only caveat is I only fit good quality isolation valves and full bore to avoid impacting flow. Cheap isolation valves can leak/seize far too easily in my experience.

Yes - my bad.

Rules of engagement in my house, lol:
Isolate hot water tank
Isolate F&E tank if fitted
Isolate mains stop ****.
Appliance valves on washer/dishwasher.

I just hate compression fittings tbh. :D
That's fair and I also am not a huge fan of compression fittings and solder where I can, I now just try to do them up like the hulk would and then walk away and pray for no weeping. :D

I also like be able to isolate hot/cold supply to areas and end devices and have a lot of isolation valves as a result. It's handy to be able to do work and not worry about finishing that day (or having to put temporary stops end on).

The only caveat is I only fit good quality isolation valves and full bore to avoid impacting flow. Cheap isolation valves can leak/seize far too easily in my experience.

Links to good ones?

That's fair and I also am not a huge fan of compression fittings and solder where I can, I now just try to do them up like the hulk would and then walk away and pray for no weeping. :D

I thought that was ill advised? If you do a compression up tight enough you can pull the olive up too far to the end of the pipe and/or off it entirely?

Although I am an 'end fed solder' copper where ever possible person, I find compression fine and easy to use. As long as you use a bit of jointing compound they are so easy to use and remove often without an olive remover or cutting.

The plumbers that did my central heating refit refused to use jointing compound, but interestingly spent a lot of time tightening rad fittings to the point of near destruction to stop leaks and make the olives crush the pipe badly.

That reminds I’ll need to isolate the outside tap, been close to frost a couple of times the past week.

I've never isolated my outside tap in Winter and, even when it was -10oC last Winter, I didnt have any issues.

I fit one of these insulated tap covers over it for Winter:

Tap-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Links to good ones?

I thought that was ill advised? If you do a compression up tight enough you can pull the olive up too far to the end of the pipe and/or off it entirely?
Maybe but in the past when I have just nipped them up then inevitably they either weep or start to weep fairly soon. I'm not saying I hang off them (as the comment implied, I know) but that I do them up more than I would like, the same with most compression fittings. It may be that I just use poor quality ones but I'm not a pro just DIY.

I've never isolated my outside tap in Winter and, even when it was -10oC last Winter, I didnt have any issues.

I fit one of these insulated tap covers over it for Winter:

Tap-cover.jpg
It can get down to -20degC here, a lot of the new builds up here had burst mains pipes last year as the builder took the supply in through the garage without insulation.

Haha yeah I think that's the best way tbh. I had tried to just "nip" them up but had a few weep. I watched my plumber do some for my kitchen plinth and he definitely hulked them. This was in addition to boss white...

It can get down to -20degC here, a lot of the new builds up here had burst mains pipes last year as the builder took the supply in through the garage without insulation.
Jokes isn't it. My plumber reckoned he makes a decent living repairing new build pipework where taps etc are blocked, because they never bothered to cap off the pipework when laying it and its full of rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom