What "man jobs" have you done today?

Threw up the IKEA units for the utility room. Went with LHS after much deliberation. The space left will have leftover worktop mounted and act as a temporary desk/fap station.

oPS97qL.jpg

Because of the change in approach I now need to close this gap with a wine rack :D

nXEKsxs.jpg

I've also ordered the grass seed for the garden job, and 3 floorboards to finally finish insulation/underfloor jobs.

One day, I shall finish all the other jobs I've started (porch, living room, floor, skirting boards, hall decorating). My projected cash flow for October 31st is £95 though as we speak, so might need to sell my arse for a bit.

Edit: I also need to run a socket for the washer/dryer that isn't at eye level. I've bought runners to wheel the washer and dryer in/out as required.

Edit2: less blue, after spending like 15 mins ripping that crap off lol.

WRkSXEz.jpg

Last edited:
@roccles you probably already know this but for a boiler install in the loft you need lighting, solid floor from the hatch to the boiler, and a ladder with handrail.

I got a right telling off from the first guy that came to service ours after it was installed :D I knew the regs, I just needed him to re-route some pipes that the installer had left in a really dumb place before I could put the flooring in.

@roccles you probably already know this but for a boiler install in the loft you need lighting, solid floor from the hatch to the boiler, and a ladder with handrail.

I got a right telling off from the first guy that came to service ours after it was installed :D I knew the regs, I just needed him to re-route some pipes that the installer had left in a really dumb place before I could put the flooring in.
Thank you, I have a ladder with handrail and hopefully that flooring is adequate. I do not have a permanent light up there but it is quoted on the statement of works so I guess that will be his first job.

Was yours installed with no flooring in place?

Last edited:
Thank you, I have a ladder with handrail and hopefully that flooring is adequate. I do not have a permanent light up there but it is quoted on the statement of works so I guess that will be his first job.

Was yours installed with no flooring in place?
Mine was installed in a rough as hell loft. It depends how much of a jobsworth your installer is. I presume he has inspected the site to create the quote?

Taking of lofts and insulation, I finally thermal wrapped the solid ducting for the shower extract fan to stop condensation building up (see the dried up stain under the fan).

embed

The thing is, this Vent Axia fan has a beefy resistor in the terminal housing that gets warm even when the fan isn't running, you can feel it's heat through the cover. I was averse to covering up the fan completely with the insulation wrap but now I'm thinking otherwise.

embed

Wife had a kitchen cleaning day and sure enough she shouted down - Can you clean the cooker hood. Arhhhh- I hate it.

It is one of those with fine wire and two of them - pull clip and it unlocks and you just take it off.
In the past (and today) I have used a very big cat litter tray to put them in then get big dollops of Swarfega on my two fingers and wipe it all over the surface till completely covered then leave for a hour or so.

After rinsing they come up quite well but I was wondering if anyone else had found anything that just get's rid of the grease quickly and easier.
It does not take replaceable filters. It's been up for 13 yrs and still looks clean.

Wife had a kitchen cleaning day and sure enough she shouted down - Can you clean the cooker hood. Arhhhh- I hate it.

It is one of those with fine wire and two of them - pull clip and it unlocks and you just take it off.
In the past (and today) I have used a very big cat litter tray to put them in then get big dollops of Swarfega on my two fingers and wipe it all over the surface till completely covered then leave for a hour or so.

After rinsing they come up quite well but I was wondering if anyone else had found anything that just get's rid of the grease quickly and easier.
It does not take replaceable filters. It's been up for 13 yrs and still looks clean.
I shove ours in the dishwasher :D

Taking of lofts and insulation, I finally thermal wrapped the solid ducting for the shower extract fan to stop condensation building up (see the dried up stain under the fan).

embed

The thing is, this Vent Axia fan has a beefy resistor in the terminal housing that gets warm even when the fan isn't running, you can feel it's heat through the cover. I was averse to covering up the fan completely with the insulation wrap but now I'm thinking otherwise.

embed
Looks like a good job and I don't have useful view on that. What fitting have you got on the outside of the bricks?

Just made another temporary repair to our incoming fresh water pipe. Dozy **** that restored this place run polyurethane pipe through the flinty dirt without the usual protective trunking and then built a terrace over it.

Never, ever buy an old French house that some Brit has “done up“ on the cheap unless you like fixing plumbing and electrical problems in the style of an episode of Time Team.

Is have thought soaking them in fairy liquid would have worked too, its a pretty good degrease.

Figured the monsoon rain was a good time to see what our storm drain is doing now that it’s been cleaned out and while Thames water decide whether they’ll pay or we will to move the overflow pipe lower down and to correct the angle. It’s working, but barely and any sediment blocks it. The big question is what the bill could be.

I got absolutely soaked, my headlamp failed, but most importantly I didn’t drop my phone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom