What "man jobs" have you done today?

FNG

FNG

Associate
And that was straight onto the brick I am guessing. I wish I had done it a few years back when I renovated, am definitely considering doing it in a couple of years when it comes to decoration time.

Soldato
OP
Installed a catflap for a mate. Bit of a faff in a UPVC door because the panelling had decorative elements at the bottom which got in the way of where the mounts were going but we got there. Pro tip: wear a mask. The insides of UPVC doors have this foam which when cut gets nasty AF.

Tested and labelled up all his ethernet ports installed in his new build back to utility room. Developers decided not to do that bit.

Added a load of things to his snagging list.

Then hung his OLED TV...
He was told the wall was cavity with studs but upon inspection it was dot and dabbed plasterboard over thermalite brick or breezeblocks. Armed with all the fixing types IN THE WORLD, we didn't have the corefix ones for dot and dab. Joy. So went and got some and made light work of the supplied LG G series bracket mount.
LG's plastic clips for cable routing on the back of their G series TVs which are meant to be able to sit flush to the wall, are terrible. The clips are meant to hold the cables in place tight to the back of the TV but they all unclip. Complete fail. So, much tape was used.
Then we cut out some plasterboard with my trusty dewalt multi tool vibrator thing in literally about 30 seconds. Whacked in some trunking and secured with two nails top and bottom. Put HDMI/ethernet/power cables in and trunking top back on. Then filler on top.
Waiting for it to dry.

Soldato
Had to replace the 3 gridswitches in my kitchen as I hadn't realised when using the air fryer I wasn't pulling it far enough away form the wall and it was distorting the plastic on the switches. Was fairly straightforward but man are the wires they used tough to bend!

Associate
I've set up a cctv camera in the front window. Not expecting to catch much interesting, but a few 'undesirables' are about and have been seen in local back gardens recently. My bro in law got me the tapo c500, and so far it looks good. Night vision in lovely and clear, but I do live with a street light right ouside my door to help out there...

FluffySheep

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Next part was putting some battens in for the rad.

Marked out where the brackets will be

I cut it out with a pad saw, would have just used the multi tool but they’re loud af and not bank holiday friendly.

5 screws is probably excessive but want it to be solid.
Why not hide them behind the plaster board?

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not hide them behind the plaster board?
I’ve trimmed them so they’re below the surface now. Didn’t think of that, I’ve set them in with foam now so don’t want to get them out again. Good idea though, I will do that with the ones for the curtain pole brackets.

Soldato
The fact you thought about battens is 10/10. Now I have an even better idea to hide them beneath the plasterboard is 11/10. Thanks guys :D
On the wall which I did with the 37.5mm board I didn’t fit battens, corefix fixings can span that gap no problem. No way I could get away with them with this chunky stuff though.

Soldato
OP
On the wall which I did with the 37.5mm board I didn’t fit battens, corefix fixings can span that gap no problem. No way I could get away with them with this chunky stuff though.

There are multiple fixings you could use to mount a rad to plasterboard without using battens just in case you didn't know. I'm sure you do know, but just saying in case. (Grip it blues, spring toggles, snap toggles).

Soldato
There are multiple fixings you could use to mount a rad to plasterboard without using battens just in case you didn't know. I'm sure you do know, but just saying in case. (Grip it blues, spring toggles, snap toggles).
Wouldn't trust them tbh. Rads are heavy, especially when full of water.

For hanging a picture or something, fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom