What "man jobs" have you done today?

Caporegime
I like that fitting, where's it from?
Wickes - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Comet-3-Spot-Light-Plate---Wood-Finish/p/237085

That light looks quite far from the centre of the room - is that true?

Our place has all the lights about a third of the way from the window to the wall, in every room. Not sure why they've done that but they are run in one open line between joists, so perhaps just done for convenience?

All the bedrooms are like it here, changed the main bedroom to spots, couldn’t really be bothered with this room because of access but will change the second bedroom to spots as well.

One of those weird 70s ex council house quirks like windows above internal doors.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its fairly usual and used to be done for "modesty" so that your body doesn't cast a shadow on the outside curtain at night.
Ah, this makes perfect sense! I have often wondered while standing up out of my late night bath whether that's intentional that my shadow just barely misses the blinds.
All the bedrooms are like it here, changed the main bedroom to spots, couldn’t really be bothered with this room because of access but will change the second bedroom to spots as well.

One of those weird 70s ex council house quirks like windows above internal doors.
Indeed, this is the glass above my bathroom door and its offset light fitting :D Built 1965 as, I think, fairly budget homes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah, this makes perfect sense! I have often wondered while standing up out of my late night bath whether that's intentional that my shadow just barely misses the blinds.

Indeed, this is the glass above my bathroom door and its offset light fitting :D Built 1965 as, I think, fairly budget homes:

Paramount partition board is another ‘cheap’ house staple.

Soldato
Good result, my heat pump came up with a flow sensor error, could be dirt in the system(fairly clean), could be flow sensor(bought a new one at £120, same error), could be mainboard(replaced it, £300 +fitting got it working) the engineer reckons its a relay which I would say would cost £5. Needless to say I've kept the old one to check that out and see if it's repairable.
Ouch, those heat pumps sound very expensive for spare parts.

Associate
Ouch, those heat pumps sound very expensive for spare parts.
I would say no more than an air conditioning unit as that's what it is, just you are not using the cooling side. Everything that uses an electronic mainboard is going to be expensive to repair because the manufacturer can charge what they like for it. Even the ancillary parts are also going to be expensive. Take the flow sensor that I bought. It has two parts to it, the brass body and the flow sensor itself. You can't buy these separately even though you only need to buy the flow sensor if it goes wrong . The brass body is soldered in to the system and is only going to need replacing if it happened to get a crack in it(highly unlikely)

Just as an example a repairer on YouTube was asked to fix a mains powered fire alarm power supply. It's nothing extraordinary just a power supply not even the mainboard and the company wanted something like £500 for it. The repair cost about £5 for a chip

Last edited:
Soldato
My least favourite job… painting. Tried Tikkurila paints for the first time. Quite impressed, tried the Optiva Primer on bare plaster. The can says it doesn’t need watering down but jeez you kind of have to. It gets sucked up so much you have to reload the roller often.

Anti Reflex 2 on the ceiling and coving is amazing, very very flat Matt. And using optiva ceramic on the walls, need something I can scrub as it’s gonna be a nursery so will probably get splashed in bodily fluids. Apart from the primer being quite a ball ache to put on, the rest I’m impressed with. Would recommend.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So that's what that stuff is.

Moved at the end of last year and this house has that....absolute nuisance to remove, at least the cardboard can be recycled.
I know, some tips don't take plasterboard and the ones that do want all the wood etc removing from it.

I'd never seen anything like it before.

Caporegime

Underlay down, went for something quite heavy duty seeing as I only needed a roll. Room is suddenly a lot less echoey.

Need to work out what to do with this before I start laying floor down, might chip at it with the multi tool and sand it down to remove the step.

Soldato
I would say no more than an air conditioning unit as that's what it is, just you are not using the cooling side. Everything that uses an electronic mainboard is going to be expensive to repair because the manufacturer can charge what they like for it. Even the ancillary parts are also going to be expensive. Take the flow sensor that I bought. It has two parts to it, the brass body and the flow sensor itself. You can't buy these separately even though you only need to buy the flow sensor if it goes wrong . The brass body is soldered in to the system and is only going to need replacing if it happened to get a crack in it(highly unlikely)

Just as an example a repairer on YouTube was asked to fix a mains powered fire alarm power supply. It's nothing extraordinary just a power supply not even the mainboard and the company wanted something like £500 for it. The repair cost about £5 for a chip
Yup, it's typically no more than a cheap low cost component they cheaped out on.

Had a look at my Bosch power board that I replaced (£146) but it wasn't the relay switches so it's probably the power supply getting old - perhaps a cap.. I need to power it up and see.

Soldato
Put up some curtain holdbacks, done more furniture waxing, painted some cupboard door knobs.
Exciting times.

Zy3TiCa.gif

I raised a shelf in the Besta unit for the arrival of the new printer and picked up two tins of paint.

Epic.

Man of Honour
Decided to put more grass seed down where the birds have eaten it along with fleece on top to get more growth before they eat it again. Quite a lot was growing from the first batch, but it was patchy.

Back
Top Bottom