What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not too big but I took our blinds down in preparation for shutters being fit in two weeks. Also got the grass cut and edged as I'm off for ankle surgery in a week so won't be able to do it for a while.

The other half will have to do the man jobs for a little while :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
I am totally broken again - have a trapped nerve in my shoulder which has made this absolutely hysterically painful to "complete".... but cutover is done.

- Bath glued
- IKEA waste "made good" in the vanity (I am missing a rubber seal because I didn't buy their tap :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)
- Shower final fixed - Aqualisa instructions are trash.
- Glass RAPIDLY thrown up as a water guard as I ran out of steam for the tiles. The screws are made of tinfoil though - so one has shreaded to nothing.... @200sols PIF me a single 10mm self threading aly screw? :D

VSK9OyY.jpeg

Had a slumdog millionaire moment with the left over duct from the kitchen job, and used duct tape for ducting. First time ever!

NcBG8Bx_d.webp

Final fixed the exterior plumbing/disconnected the old vanity :)D)

yW8Pa1b_d.webp

Soldato
What the hell is going on with all that external drainage? Is it temporary?

Older properties tended to have external drainage like that. Some new builds near me are like that as well and there is no excuse for it on modern builds when others are all internal.... It looks terrible on modern builds to have all the soil pipes etc showing.

Soldato
Older properties tended to have external drainage like that. Some new builds near me are like that as well and there is no excuse for it on modern builds when others are all internal.... It looks terrible on modern builds to have all the soil pipes etc showing.
I don’t think people are commenting on the main soil stack, that’s normal. It’s the additional pipes coming down to ground level which is raising a few eyebrows.

Soldato
I don’t think people are commenting on the main soil stack, that’s normal. It’s the additional pipes coming down to ground level which is raising a few eyebrows.

Oh, I see. Fair enough.

I believe @dlockers is moving the bathroom from its current location to the other end of the house so I am not sure if one of the larger pipes going to the soil stack will be removed eventually.

The 2 x vertical pipes look like gas (metal one on left) and some kind of electrical conduit (black one that runs by the vent) but who knows. I'm also not sure what the narrow pipe that runs diagonally up and then to the front of the property is for :confused:

@dlockers - wanna let us know what you have there? :cry:

Soldato
How else do you accommodate future plans other than putting a capped off white t piece at ground level?

Id also like inspection ability hence the gaffa taped elbow.

And one day I might put a toilet back in the bathroom I'm ripping out so it doesn't make sense to remove those pipes.

My only issue is that temporary crate/pallet is structural now.

Soldato
Actually, the more I look at that image the more I see and the more I am confused :cry:

EDIT - I should add, this is not a dig at your work. I know that things always look "messy" while working on it plus I wont criticise something that I have never tackled myself - you're doing a LOT of stuff to that house and, I assume, most of it is also stuff you have never done before.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can someone please help? Roofer coming later this week to fix the soffit and there are 2 wires coming from the telephone pole to our current damaged soffit. We're with Community Fiber and I presume this is bringing the internet to the house. Roofer asked to ring the ISP and get advice on how to deal with them but they didn't really provide any info other than 'we advise not to touch or move them'. I did ask them, surely this can't be the first time they've dealt with the wire(s) to the house and a damaged roof/soffit. Nada.

By the looks of it, the wires are wrapped and kept in place by the metal cable. Can the roofer simply screw them back into the new soffit?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone please help? Roofer coming later this week to fix the soffit and there are 2 wires coming from the telephone pole to our current damaged soffit. We're with Community Fiber and I presume this is bringing the internet to the house. Roofer asked to ring the ISP and get advice on how to deal with them but they didn't really provide any info other than 'we advise not to touch or move them'. I did ask them, surely this can't be the first time they've dealt with the wire(s) to the house and a damaged roof/soffit. Nada.

By the looks of it, the wires are wrapped and kept in place by the metal cable. Can the roofer simply screw them back into the new soffit?

The fibre wires are not attached to your soffit... The metal wire is there to keep the strain off the cable from pulling it out of the house/socket

Just get the soffit fitter to detach the metal securing wire from the soffit and fix to your new soffit.

EDIT - they will need to secure it somehow whilst they replace the soffit so the overhead bit of the cable doesnt pull on the "loose" bit going into your house. If they just detach it, the weight of the cable may pull on the socket connection and rip it out (if that makes sense)

EDIT 2 - you might want to confirm with the roofer if new soffit will take the strain - is he replacing it with plastic soffit or wood again? Wood will take it fine but plastic might not as its fairly thin plastic

Last edited:
Soldato
Chaps I'm winding you up. It's a temp drain for my bath and vanity as I ran out of steam on Sunday (and was booked into family stuff Saturday).

The vanity should boss into the waste but the waste is too steep.

The waste is too steep because the old bath goes directly into the boss on the vertical stack.

I couldn't disconnect the old bath as it was still in use.

So I've just dodged together a temporary waste for the vanity and bath, and I'm now fully cutover from the old bathroom.

I can now remove the soil stack, fit the new waste at the right angle, boss the vanity into it, and run the bath parallel (I did mess up here, I should have done bath into vanity before it came out of the wall) and boss into the vertical stack.

I love how low your expectations of me are :D. I mean there is a god damn compression fit t piece on the floor! And the diagonal pipe goes passed the kitchen window :cry: :cry:. Love you all tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fibre wires are not attached to your soffit... The metal wire is there to keep the strain off the cable from pulling it out of the house/socket

Just get the soffit fitter to detach the metal securing wire from the soffit and fix to your new soffit.

EDIT - they will need to secure it somehow whilst they replace the soffit so the overhead bit of the cable doesnt pull on the "loose" bit going into your house. If they just detach it, the weight of the cable may pull on the socket connection and rip it out (if that makes sense)

EDIT 2 - you might want to confirm with the roofer if new soffit will take the strain - is he replacing it with plastic soffit or wood again? Wood will take it fine but plastic might not as its fairly thin plastic
Seems odd the roofer has never come across this in the past. I'd have assumed this was quite common in areas that don't have underground fibre.

Soldato
Something poetic about soil pipe and poo brown pebbledash though.

@dlockers are you final fixing stuff before grouting?
Working on top of myself ATM. Plan is to remove the glass screen, finish the tiling, grout, refit screen.

I've ordered a shutter for the window too.

Just need to fix the noise this van makes it's driving me absolutely mental. No vibration just sheer white noise.

Back
Top Bottom