What "man jobs" have you done today?

By the looks of it, the wires are wrapped and kept in place by the metal cable. Can the roofer simply screw them back into the new soffit?

As already mentioned this is a common issue.

I did work on my own fascias/soffits and simply put a temporary anchor bolt in the wall just below and used some wire to tie fittings to that so they didn't sag or strain the cables while I replaced the fascia and soffit. I made sure I had some good fixing points behind the new plastic fascia (extra wood between the roof trusses) and then refitted once done. If you're having wood again then just fix to that after replacement.

You just need to be careful not to bend fibre cables too tightly but in their several outer sheaths they're quite robust as they have to survive swinging in the wind for years.

Chaps I'm winding you up. It's a temp drain for my bath and vanity as I ran out of steam on Sunday (and was booked into family stuff Saturday).

The vanity should boss into the waste but the waste is too steep.

The waste is too steep because the old bath goes directly into the boss on the vertical stack.

I couldn't disconnect the old bath as it was still in use.

So I've just dodged together a temporary waste for the vanity and bath, and I'm now fully cutover from the old bathroom.

I can now remove the soil stack, fit the new waste at the right angle, boss the vanity into it, and run the bath parallel (I did mess up here, I should have done bath into vanity before it came out of the wall) and boss into the vertical stack.

I love how low your expectations of me are :D. I mean there is a god damn compression fit t piece on the floor! And the diagonal pipe goes passed the kitchen window :cry: :cry:. Love you all tho.

blah blah blah. Do it perfect!

The fibre wires are not attached to your soffit... The metal wire is there to keep the strain off the cable from pulling it out of the house/socket

Just get the soffit fitter to detach the metal securing wire from the soffit and fix to your new soffit.

EDIT - they will need to secure it somehow whilst they replace the soffit so the overhead bit of the cable doesnt pull on the "loose" bit going into your house. If they just detach it, the weight of the cable may pull on the socket connection and rip it out (if that makes sense)

EDIT 2 - you might want to confirm with the roofer if new soffit will take the strain - is he replacing it with plastic soffit or wood again? Wood will take it fine but plastic might not as its fairly thin plastic
Thank you. It's PVC for the new soffit, will mention this and hope they have a good solution. So if the cable isn't the fiber - what are they for?
Seems odd the roofer has never come across this in the past. I'd have assumed this was quite common in areas that don't have underground fibre.
It did cross my mind, especially as he's done a number of houses along the road.

Thank you. It's PVC for the new soffit, will mention this and hope they have a good solution. So if the cable isn't the fiber - what are they for?

I dont follow :confused:

The black cable/wire is your phone/internet connection. Very common in mid-1900s houses to be supplied it in this manner - you'll see a central pole between houses and then the phone lines all come off this like a spider web style scenario.

The phone line is then anchored to the building using the metal wire so that this takes the strain of the wire as it moves around, allowing the final xxxx metres of phone line to hang nice and loose. If it wasn't there, then the cable would be continually pulling out of the internal socket over time

Last edited:
I dont follow :confused:

The black cable/wire is your phone/internet connection. Very common in mid-1900s houses to be supplied it in this manner - you'll see a central pole between houses and then the phone lines all come off this like a spider web style scenario.

The phone line is then anchored to the building using the metal wire so that this takes the strain of the wire as it moves around, allowing the final xxxx metres of phone line to hang nice and loose. If it wasn't there, then the cable would be continually pulling out of the internal socket over time
It's just someone previously said fiber doesn't come through there (ground instead I think), so wasn't sure what it was bringing to the house as we don't have a phone/non fiber line.

It's just someone previously said fiber doesn't come through there (ground instead I think), so wasn't sure what it was bringing to the house as we don't have a phone/non fiber line.

Might be an idea to see how your phone/internet is provided... You may not even need that wire any longer if its not used. That would save a lot of hassle.

Finally finished redecorating the study.

After:

khxSNGEh.jpeg

Wife says it looks like a grey **** den and I couldn't really argue.

Onto the master bedroom next. Much larger room but no stipple ceiling to skim over.

I think I have the same colour (dulux chic shadow) that I'm repainting over in my office. Not too keen on greige anymore but got a little bit in my house!

Chaps I'm winding you up. It's a temp drain for my bath and vanity as I ran out of steam on Sunday (and was booked into family stuff Saturday).

The vanity should boss into the waste but the waste is too steep.

The waste is too steep because the old bath goes directly into the boss on the vertical stack.

I couldn't disconnect the old bath as it was still in use.

So I've just dodged together a temporary waste for the vanity and bath, and I'm now fully cutover from the old bathroom.

I can now remove the soil stack, fit the new waste at the right angle, boss the vanity into it, and run the bath parallel (I did mess up here, I should have done bath into vanity before it came out of the wall) and boss into the vertical stack.

I love how low your expectations of me are :D. I mean there is a god damn compression fit t piece on the floor! And the diagonal pipe goes passed the kitchen window :cry: :cry:. Love you all tho.
Hey some of the best permanent fixes are meant to be temporary... If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid.

But yeah it is a bit of a mess!

lol you guysssss

Just did a rogue Wickes/TS/Screwfix trip to return a box of bits about to timeout. Made £53 but the spent £23. Got my waste pipe planned out for the weekend (y).

If only I paid this much attention at work

tZBeTZV.jpg

The pipe is slotted into the cast with such force I don't dare touch it, so I am just going to cut it low and fit a coupler; then I've bought a new 1m section with a push fitting which will give me the required height/drop. I've then got a 2m offcut I can use to rejoin the top of the stack; which I could just renew, but cost and all.

I've bought a boss to go into the vertical stack (a black strap on apparently). I assume this is fine. The vanity waste will drain into that.

The bath waste will boss directly into the waste pipe.

Looks like a plan to me.

As much as an internal soil stack is a lot nicer to not look at, external does make it a damn sight easier to maintain and modify over time.

Mine are all boxed in and pipes run under floors. Of course being a newer house, they lay the floors before the stud walls so it was a pain in the rear to get a new shower tray plumed in properly without destroying the floor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom