What "man jobs" have you done today?

I've given up on spots I think. I have the Hue Lily setup, and like you said, unless you carpet bomb the garden with them, I don't think they really touch the sides. I have been far more impressed by the Govee outdoor LED strips.

They were like 5 rungs up... I'm well aware of needing health and safety at work having worked in the trade for 20 years. All that safety gear including a harness for going up a few rungs to put a single hole in a wall is ridiculous.

How would a head cope with hitting the floor from that height? Ankles and wrists too.

It's surely all insurance based. The window cleaner will be fine until they slip and try to claim on the insurance, assuming they have it in the first place.

Last edited:
I've given up on spots I think. I have the Hue Lily setup, and like you said, unless you carpet bomb the garden with them, I don't think they really touch the sides. I have been far more impressed by the Govee outdoor LED strips.
I think you need a mix of both, tiers of lighting..

But I'm with you anyway! I am waiting on the Govee outdoor pro light sets in black ((govee us site) due october) to be available in the UK at a reasonable price.. the plan is to get two sets, one for the front of the house as discreet permanently installed lights we can use for Xmas/Halloween etc and inbetween provide selected lighting in white, the other set will be strung around the periphery of the fencing around the patio/lawn, right along the bottom (30M), this will provide smart ambient lighting for the whole garden, I'll mount them so the uplight, and should overlap nicely. I'll also have Govee LED strips under the soffit of the rear extension to provide ambient lighting of the patio.

The plan is that the bollards/spots will just be the background lights that come on with a light sensor when we let the dog out or just go outside after dusk etc and provide gentle lighting, then the Govee continuous lighting (extension + entire fenceline around the lawn/patio) will be on demand, although I'll integrate it so when the Govee ambient lighting is on, so will the spots/bollards be on as well.

I've also done it this way as the Mrs needs convincing we need loads of smart lighting, she was quite negative when I said I was doing all the worktops and plinths in the kitchen and thought I was over doing it, but now it's all in, we just use that on a night if popping to the kitchen as it provides a nice soft glow that is more than enough to make a cuppa etc, and not to mention everyone loves it when they come around, so that probably helped!)

Last edited:
Spent 3 hours looking for a leak and I can’t replicate it without my better half being in the shower. My ceiling and walls look like Swiss cheese but no leaks. That, and making jam, nice

Last edited:
Finally got sign off on the cupboard job, lol. Fitted 2 more shelves and gave it a coat of Bedec. Not perfect, but it is a cupboard. It'll be hidden by a curtain on a tension bar, and the top will be behind a door:
UjKQH4T.jpg

Also had a brain wave for the shoe cupboard and ended up shelving it out with floorboards from the room above. Flipped them upside down so they are a bit less offensive on the eyes. Works great and adds a bit of character!

lZ0OrPj.jpg

I've ordered some oak to act as the lid, and then the right hand side I need to knock some cubby holes up for umbrellas etc.

The man is here fitting a water meter - He is now trying to seal up the compression joint's - so I will be spending the next few days checking for leaks.
Also got to make new board for back of unit so meter can stick though a bit and also a new stop tap hole.

Really didn't want it under the kitchen units but the other contractors wouldn't fit it outside due to health and safety -ie traffic - We get a dozen cars and about six tractors a day.

Ceiling boarded - apparently the upstairs subfloor is only 5mm plywood - which explains why it's so bouncy & noisy.

Annoyingly there's nothing I can do to reinforce from underneath whilst the ceilings down; we need to empty both bedrooms, lift the carpet & underlay and completely reboard with minimum 9mm plywood (I think we'll go for 12mm, as it's not a huge difference financially).

That's a job that'll have to wait until after Xmas, as finances are really tight between now and then.

In the meantime, plasterers boarded the ceiling today, ready to skim tomorrow & Friday.

Picked up some paint samples to go over the boring & tired grey. We're going to put acoustic panels on media wall & opposite (vertical walnut on black felt), so we're after something with a bit of warmth to contrast:

Ceiling boarded - apparently the upstairs subfloor is only 5mm plywood - which explains why it's so bouncy & noisy.

Annoyingly there's nothing I can do to reinforce from underneath whilst the ceilings down; we need to empty both bedrooms, lift the carpet & underlay and completely reboard with minimum 9mm plywood (I think we'll go for 12mm, as it's not a huge difference financially).

That's a job that'll have to wait until after Xmas, as finances are really tight between now and then.

In the meantime, plasterers boarded the ceiling today, ready to skim tomorrow & Friday.

Picked up some paint samples to go over the boring & tired grey. We're going to put acoustic panels on media wall & opposite (vertical walnut on black felt), so we're after something with a bit of warmth to contrast:

That was quick and unlike some, I imagine they ordered enough to do the job.

Found the leak, the shower looks to have been sealed by hopes and dreams and the external panels were not connected at all to the base. It was leaking on the outside with the water wicking all the way under the shower tray to the opposite corner. All stripped cleaned and now waiting for the sealant to dry before testing

4 plasterers turned up at 8am and were gone by lunchtime.

I did ask if they could patch the areas on the wall, but apparently they'll be done by the decorating guys with a different filler; they'll also mist-coat the ceilings & walls ready for us to paint with our choice of colour.

We're still trying to decide between Dulux's Perfectly Taupe & Natural Hessian, or Lick's White 06 & Taupe 03...

Ceilings will be PBW, as will the coving.

Noggins and 50mm insulation in....

4dG6uwW.mp4

I need to swap my 13cm coach bolts for 10cm, and then I can get the ceiling done. I am so looking forwards to having it clean and tidy inside without a bunch of PIR in the middle :cry: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom