What "man jobs" have you done today?

Cleaned out the chickens

"Cut" the grass in so much went over it three times trying to pick up the clippings after last week's first cut in almost three weeks ..

1000080645-01.jpg

1000080650-01.jpg

1000080649-01.jpg

Quick cool down and drink them weeding the front gravel bed....

1000080646-01.jpg
That lawn is calling out for a robot mower, I see you saw my post too ;)
I used to love the strips with my push mower but I used to work 5 days and it always rain over weekends hence my little robot slave. I would love to keep chicken for the eggs and more eco with food scraps but I think it is not as simple as robot.....only if there is robot chicken which lay eggs for breakfast

That lawn is calling out for a robot mower, I see you saw my post too ;)
I used to love the strips with my push mower but I used to work 5 days and it always rain over weekends hence my little robot slave. I would love to keep chicken for the eggs and more eco with food scraps but I think it is not as simple as robot.....only if there is robot chicken which lay eggs for breakfast
Yes, sorely tempted to try a robot mower .... :D

I hate first fix wiring. How many sockets is too many? I miss the simpler 1930s days where one per room was sufficient :cry:

Also ran a billion cat6 endpoints but don't actually have any gear that needs ethernet in there for a good while lol.

FuTuRe pRoOf even if the future is unlikely rite

I hate first fix wiring. How many sockets is too many? I miss the simpler 1930s days where one per room was sufficient :cry:

Also ran a billion cat6 endpoints but don't actually have any gear that needs ethernet in there for a good while lol.

I have one Cat6 cable per room, under the floor ready for later :D

Not to mention 4 or 5 loops of mains ring where I might pull up a socket, or move the TV etc.

I'm not sure if it's a man job, but we're going through the rigmarole of trying to find ways to lay our living room out differently.

And coming up with nothing :cry:

aldD0Mx.mp4

Used my new foam gun - EHHH MAHH GAWD. I have been missing out for HOW long. This thing is amazing compared to those crap cans with built in sprayers. Life changing.

Also did my 2.5 T&E wiring - went for 1 ring and I'll do two fused spurs for outside sockets.

And about 8 CAT6 drops - unfortunately 1 short as I wanted 2 by my PC desk. It'll do though...!

Then I made a right cowboy job of the vapour layer. Hopefully I've gotten away with it. Crap job in 25+ heat. And I've ran out lol. Trip to SF tomorrow! Yippee

Last edited:
Can I get away with filling these with board dipped in adhesive?

board3.jpg

board3.jpg

board1.jpg

First ever time boarding, not quite as straight forward as YouTube suggests!

I'll probably redo the last one, as it's a corner piece and is about 3-4mm out, annoyingly only at the end, lesson learned.

Will be scrimed and sealed of course. And a bead of sealent/adhesive added too.

Last edited:
Used my new foam gun - EHHH MAHH GAWD. I have been missing out for HOW long. This thing is amazing compared to those crap cans with built in sprayers. Life changing.
The only reason I've never tried these is that I've assumed they get blocked up if you don't clean them I cbf to clean them vs. buying a new can.

Is that not the case?

The only reason I've never tried these is that I've assumed they get blocked up if you don't clean them I cbf to clean them vs. buying a new can.

Is that not the case?
Dunno man, I am still on the high from the first use :cry: I did read the instructions and it said you can leave a partially used can attached for up to 30 days. It also mentioned gun cleaner. So I think you do need to clean them, but they don't bung up anywhere near as much as the temp ones.

Also a can lasted about 4 times longer than normal, so the maths works out if you are doing more than a few sprays.

Dunno man, I am still on the high from the first use :cry: I did read the instructions and it said you can leave a partially used can attached for up to 30 days. It also mentioned gun cleaner. So I think you do need to clean them, but they don't bung up anywhere near as much as the temp ones.

I've been keeping cans mounted on my foam guns for several months for a long time - all I do to keep them working is spray a little out every month. I am renovating my house and always end up with a half can after each room and the type of acoustic flexible foam I mostly use is pricey to discard half empty.

When the can is empty I do give the gun a full clean out with the spray cleaner which screws onto the gun or can be used with a normal spray nozzle for general cleanup of nozzles etc, although for the latter I use Acetone which is the same chemical as the spray cleaner and cheap to buy in 2L or 5L non pressurised containers.

Can I get away with filling these with board dipped in adhesive?

board3.jpg

board3.jpg

board1.jpg

First ever time boarding, not quite as straight forward as YouTube suggests!

I'll probably redo the last one, as it's a corner piece and is about 3-4mm out, annoyingly only at the end, lesson learned.

Will be scrimed and sealed of course. And a bead of sealent/adhesive added too.

If it's for tiling over that would be fine. For the latter picture you could leave it long then mark it and cut it after fitting it.

To be honest both would be fine for tiling over

Also a can lasted about 4 times longer than normal, so the maths works out if you are doing more than a few sprays.
I left a partial can in mine initially, after 7 days despite flushing prior to storing as indicated it was gummed up badly..

The builder just said for the price of the cleaner, they clean theirs after every session and usually blast a small bit through 1 hour after initial cleaning as the initial residue can be tacky and still block it, but that second quick blast works.

I've been through 30 cans doing this and not had it stick and only partway through a second cleaning can. When my partial can gummed up, I had to strip it down, use liberal amounts of cleaner to soak it all in before I could fully get it apart, then an hour of cleaning it.. so I followed the builders advice and it's been great since.

Is that not the case?

You get a cleaning 'can' so you just unscrew the foam canister, screw the cleaning one on, blast that through, and as mentioned above, if storing for over a day, an hour later blast a small bit through again and unscrew the cleaning can.. it's quite easy.. no disassembly etc..

Last edited:
@dlockers I had a gun... did everything to the manual. Cleaned it out regularly. And it gummed up after doing insulated board in one room. So just went back to the Soudal PU Adhesive cans.

You can never have enough - I have always put loads of sockets in -even in our first house in mid 70's

I thought i had put enough in lounge and then we bought reclining chairs and settee. Forgot them or only bought them at last minute.

At last house I had a dedicated 4mm cable feeding 2 or 3 double sockets just for the HiFi (it was a fad at the time)- then next to them another 2 on ring main for TV stuff.

I am so glad all this restoration is well in my past.

Got a big party this weekend so lots of prep for that. Finished off levelling some reclaimed space behind our garden, new pebbles in our garden (previous were large rocks which would guarantee people tripping over) and made some progress on my first ever DIY construction (well since I was a kid probably).

Making a giant version of Battleships (with shots). Tried a forstner bit first which completely mangled this wood but fortunately a spade bit did the job. Still might make one more pass to make the holes deeper and sand down the holes, whole blocks need one more pass at sanding and then on to spray-painting.

20240813-193610.jpg

We don't have the space but look forward to the day I can own a circular saw, sawing is long and I'm not that good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom