What "man jobs" have you done today?

lol so an update on the tale of the £800 plaster job.

1. He texts me this morning to confirm.
2. He asks having committed all in whether I have the materials already.
3. We renegotiate at 900 quid (a 100 quid increase to cover the 300 quid of material, lol. He must have been laughing at 800 quid just to skim)
4. He texts asking if I have a drill he can use ( :cry: :cry: :cry:) but it's ok he has screws.
5. He then says he's running late can I order it from Wickes and get it delivered Friday (I've stayed home from work today....).
6. I say do one, too many red flags
7. He replies baffled as to what the red flags are.

Hmm...
Plot thickens - I found his FB page. He has ample neck and face tats and breads German shepherds. I am going to apologise and say it was all my mistake. Please don't murder me.

Last edited:
Had the back door lock (Eurolock) out as it was catching when turning the key - It was a bit of wear allowing plastic bit inside to move back and forth slightly and catch on metal of the lock - Quick file of the plastic then put it back -Then got WD 40 and sprayed all the sliders and latches.
Everything nice and smooth.
Best thing to put on floor to catch WD40 is corrugated cardboard.

Had the back door lock (Eurolock) out as it was catching when turning the key - It was a bit of wear allowing plastic bit inside to move back and forth slightly and catch on metal of the lock - Quick file of the plastic then put it back -Then got WD 40 and sprayed all the sliders and latches.
Everything nice and smooth.
Best thing to put on floor to catch WD40 is corrugated cardboard.
WD40 isn't great for this - use their silicone lubricant.

Dad's finally finished installing The Wife's lounge lights - he had a bit of a meltdown trying to figure out why one cable would stay constantly live...

It turns out our council have run power for the downstairs wet room extractor (persistent live) off the lighting circuit, which Dad says was shockingly lazy and bad form, but absolutely in character for some of the cowboys we get sent :rolleyes:

Won't the timber just rot with no air gap underneath?

Is there a reason you can't just lay the insulation direct? (presumably level issues)
You make a good point. I hadn't thought much about moisture in the timber as the focus is on keeping fresh moisture out.

The previous builder did make a floating floor with sheets of PIR followed by chipboard. It was pretty good but ultimately not as solid as I'd wanted - I'm assuming this is down to the concrete floor being uneven. Fitting the joists I sometimes had 7-8mm gaps or humps under them.

I'll have a think about the timber - I am still a bit concerned about general moisture or even some ingress from the foundations. There's not really a right way to do this I suppose, with only ~100mm of height available. The "proper" building way would be to dig down another 30cm and lay hardcore and concrete pour.

Last edited:
"Tidy"

Parted ways with some crap offcuts/chipboard/rotten MDF. There are quite a few bits eyeballed for the garden room once it's done. Going to be great to have this space usable.

raUlKP9.jpg

"Tidy"

Parted ways with some crap offcuts/chipboard/rotten MDF. There are quite a few bits eyeballed for the garden room once it's done. Going to be great to have this space usable.

raUlKP9.jpg
Random Q - is ~8mm chipboard useful to you? We get a lot of TVs shipped internationally to my work in these crates and I've just flattened a load...

Pulled my 4mm swa through the shed and into the garden room. Cladding arrives Monday so hoping to get the CU and ethernet run so I can clad over.

X53LtwO.jpeg

Also the new baby might get dumped in her to finish naps, so fitted a camera I didn't use (intended to be a porch cam but reolink doorbell was more than enough)

nLf8HYR.jpeg

And tidied up the wiring (again).

Got itchy feet having ran the SWA so decided to quickly wire up the CU. Annoyingly; I would have been totally golden if I had done the incoming wires slightly lower - so now I have a minor "hole" to cover. Nevermind, I am over the moon - finally have power of some description.

Open to criticism on the wiring - never done a CU before. Earths are a tad bit rough and I need to trim the bus bar/add another RCD in.

oFt9wB5.jpg

Yippee

F9vcdSl.jpg

Bus bar should have a plastic trim on right?

And what's the black wire going into the earths?

E: ah, using a conductor from the SWA. Needs earth sleeve/tape.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom