What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Made a table top over the weekend, my first real go at something substantial in a woodworking sense, and I have limited tools (saw/plainer/beltsander). I was quite happy with the results (I picked the wood up for £30)

WQ2mMBu.jpg.png
Pl65BKx.jpg
izzMaJK.jpg
kTZPpuG.jpg
horQiDP.jpg
O0zVOwW.jpg
AdRtpwF.jpg
ObRxJur.jpg
d7dGBgJ.jpg
Y0IrV6h.jpg
uOhewdm.jpg
ByhzjlL.jpg

Have some legs being fabricated, should be an upgrade from by current table

Soldato
Made a table top over the weekend, my first real go at something substantial in a woodworking sense, and I have limited tools (saw/plainer/beltsander). I was quite happy with the results (I picked the wood up for £30)

WQ2mMBu.jpg.png
Pl65BKx.jpg
izzMaJK.jpg
kTZPpuG.jpg
horQiDP.jpg
O0zVOwW.jpg
AdRtpwF.jpg
ObRxJur.jpg
d7dGBgJ.jpg
Y0IrV6h.jpg
uOhewdm.jpg
ByhzjlL.jpg

Wow looks good that. How are the timbers connected together?
Did you plane the top

Im currently looking at buying a custom table and some shelving for a hefty amount, so you're saving a fair wedge there!

Soldato
Wow looks good that. How are the timbers connected together?
Did you plane the top

Im currently looking at buying a custom table and some shelving for a hefty amount, so you're saving a fair wedge there!

Yes I planed the top, If I were to do it again I would make one of two changes

1. I would not of bothered to plane each individual board down before gluing together (There was a good amount of this done once it was one piece)
2. I would have found a local joinery / timer merchants to level / plane the wood for me

To connect the boards I just used dowels and glue, I found a cheap jig on Amazon which to worked fine. I also alternated the grain patter in the boards to help with any future warping / twisting

Soldato
Yes I planed the top, If I were to do it again I would make one of two changes

1. I would not of bothered to plane each individual board down before gluing together (There was a good amount of this done once it was one piece)
2. I would have found a local joinery / timer merchants to level / plane the wood for me

To connect the boards I just used dowels and glue, I found a cheap jig on Amazon which to worked fine. I also alternated the grain patter in the boards to help with any future warping / twisting
If you did that it should reduce the "cupping" effect apparently.

Associate

Pl65BKx.jpg

Same electric planer I bought from Amazon for a similar project, hopefully you didn't make my mistake and under estimate just how much it can shave off :p

Very nice work!

Soldato
Nice work indeed!

Put up some trellis

Before

IMG-20220423-111026.jpg

After

IMG-20220423-114317.jpg

IMG-20220423-114308.jpg

Soldato
Sorted my back lawn out today:

Cut short
Scarified
Top Dress
Overseeding.

Also used this as a chance to bring up the level of the ground where it had sunken due to settling (newish build) but, as it was next to slabs which hadn't moved, it left a 1 inch or so drop. Also, the soil around the exterior wall had kind of shrunk back and left a gap of a ½ inch and 1 inch deep so I filled that in

This part of my garden gets little sun and is always damp/wet so going to use this area as a small wildflower garden so not fussed that the tatty looking grass in that area is now buried... I'll be sowing wildflowers in the Autumn suited to damp conditions.

Looks a little rough now but I know it'll come back.

Front lawn done today with cutting, scarifying, overseed and top dressed.

Unbelievable how much Moss and thatch came up on the front. About ⅓ the size of the back yet had just as much crap as the back. North facing front vs South facing back so I guess that has a big factor.

Overseeded with some shade tolerant seed which should help this time.

Soldato
Sorted the shed. But step 1 involved building a pot store from some old gravel boards (super quick and dirty). This meant the annoying to store pots could live outside and my floor space in the shed was improved.

1kIlfQ1.jpg

Step 2 involved a trip to the tip and using my new black boxes (still a proper sort out required):

iaEySNI.jpg

Fin:

zp9upO5.jpg

Soldato
I finished cleaning and repointing our path. The toughest bit was getting the rest of the old jointing out. It's still not great, there's lots of lippage and the joints vary in width considerably but it will do for now.

Before

mIv0qR7.jpg

After

Gd3lFAE.jpg
Gd3lFAE

Last edited:
Soldato
I finished cleaning and repointing our path. The toughest bit was getting the rest of the old jointing out. It's still not great, there's lots of lippage and the joints vary in width considerably but it will do for now.

Before

mIv0qR7.jpg

After

Gd3lFAE.jpg
Gd3lFAE
It's amazing hiw much comes off when you think they're only a bit dirty isn't it:cry:.

Back
Top Bottom