What "man jobs" have you done today?

Unless maybe it's the waste, and it drips more when being run though? I spent ages trying to stop a drip behind my bathroom sink. I'd think it was sorted, but then a week later after draining a full sink realise it had soaked the boards again.
I initially thought the waste, but it's dripping down from the tap onto the waste (unless the waste was leaking as well). Unfortunately taps under a kitchen sink are pretty hard to get access too. Suspect the will be some swearing and grazed knuckles involved.

Took tap out but couldn't see anything. Put a bit of grease on the threads just incase. Interestingly they had ptfa and an oring on anyway. Now the other end of the flexing pipe is leaking, I hate plumbing:rolleyes:.

Replaced the door sealing rope on a fireplace. Fun times as the previous owner (or some hired bodger) had used something like plumber’s white sealant to hold the rope into the door.

Luckily, they didn’t use it to hold the sealing rope for the door in place, though I’m sure they would have if they’d bother to fit any. It was only the ancient soot stopping the glass from rattling around…

Now we have a properly sealed fire and it burns great.

Sorted the worst of the bushes in the top quater of the garden with a reciprocating saw and took to Tintagel

IMG20220409180334.jpg

We went to a wedding last night and as we dropped our daughter off at the in-laws I said in passing that I'd help my father-in-law install a concreate spur to reinforce a post that had failed during the recent high winds. Well, when I woke up hanging this morning I realised what a dumb thing that was to say :D

It wasn't too bad in the end and he was very appreciative

Last edited:
This toilet fits. It is not too far from the wall. You are wrong

Jqe387b.jpeg

Dressed it up with a matching piece of floor tile. The waste pipe is cast and I really didn't have it in me to re-do the waste as well as the bathroom. It's been a block of ply and a noggin for a year at least.

This toilet fits. It is not too far from the wall. You are wrong

Jqe387b.jpeg

Dressed it up with a matching piece of floor tile. The waste pipe is cast and I really didn't have it in me to re-do the waste as well as the bathroom. It's been a block of ply and a noggin for a year at least.

Had to do the same when we had our bathroom done because of the cast iron pipe, squarer shaped toilet too.

Spent most of today repairing the bathroom wooden windows. I did a full refurb about ~2 years ago, but unfortunately the glaziers putty I used for every other window didn't fare at all well in the hot/humid environment.

I noticed about a year ago when I wiped it that the putty had just become liquid - super, super annoying. The external stuff has cured thankfully.

I did what I could back then, with new child, and dug out what wet rot I could and the putty and replaced it with plumbers gold with a view to fixing it later.

About a year went by and finally - 5 days of being away - I thought it is as dry as it is going to get. Replaced most of the putty with wood filler. At least 3 'builds' to get what I found acceptable. Just given it the first coat of paint. Hopefully it fairs better than the putty!
VAfUsWq.jpeg

Almost there!

Had to do the same when we had our bathroom done because of the cast iron pipe, squarer shaped toilet too.

Yeah realistically I should have researched different toilets but there was enough on as it was when I did the bathroom.

Last edited:
Lol, pretty much spot on :p :D
Mine isn't much better as it's white:cry:.

My next job in the plumbing saga is to fix the seal under the sink. It's 30mm od and 20mm id, but the 'ledge' the seal mates with is very thin, maybe a mm. Over time it's dug into the seal so now I need to add another one to pack it out, yay:rolleyes::p.

I gave up being overly concerned about the state of my car some time ago and you're right white and black are not great if you have dirt car anxiety :D

Good luck with the plumbing repair! Things like that can be a right PITA and what could / should be a quick and simple job eventually morph into anything but !

Finished breaking up a dozen palets yesterday morning. Looking to build a compost bin with the wood this week and storing the rest for possible edging and/or raised beds in the late spring. So much to do in the garden in the coming months and it's all heavily weather dependent :(

Thats so nice, I'm in the market for one but some are silly money. How much did you end up paying for one of those if you dont mind me asking?

Picked that up for £1200...still expensive but nowhere near what they cost new. That one is a 53inch suspended roller cab with oak top and powertool draw. Right sort of ballpark based on other listings I have seen.

Burnt out a grinder cutting out cutting lines on some concrete.

Bought a SDS and had much fun chiselling out a Trench, Laid some network cable and a hosepipe to the garage/gym and concreted it all back up over the weekend.

Bought a SDS and had much fun chiselling out a Trench, Laid some network cable and a hosepipe to the garage/gym and concreted it all back up over the weekend.
I did my water line with speedfit pipe……..from house down to the greenhouse

Did you put any duct in while you was at it - Just 40mm waste pipe would have done.

can't beat a SDS drill - wait till you need holes in walls -Like a drill through hot butter,

Yep, I had some old ducting left over in 3 different lengths, so brought out the Gaffa tape and did a fantastic bodge that is firmly out of sight now :) If it goes wrong I can use the SDS again :) :) its a win win.

Back
Top Bottom