What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Both are a pain but for different reasons.

Oil is more forgiving in terms of brush marks etc, but it takes a good day to dry between coats. It’s harder to rectify any mistakes.

Water can be re-coated in a few hours but that means it starts going off very quickly, within a few minutes or even less if it’s really dry and hot. It will also just wash off if you get it somewhere it shouldn’t be.

Personally I use water everywhere. While the finish isn’t as good as oil, 18 months down the line, it’s still white unlike oil which will be in varying shades of yellow depending on how much natural light it gets.

Oil yellows so quickly these days now they have had to take all the toxic compounds out of it, it’s just not worth it (IMO) because it just looks bad once it starts to yellow, particularly if you have any white or light coloured walls.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go for water based next time.

Soldato
Painting the loft hatches, staircase and under the stairs. I really hate painting woodwork :( Such a messy and fiddly job.

Takes ages to cure fully too, so it can stick to anything resting against it.
Switch it up to waterbased Leyland. The old stuff is just not worth it, given how much waterbased has moved on.

(Edit: beaten)

Soldato
got the home office progressed a bit further today :) 70" wallboard now mounted

cables all chased and tv mounted using Gripit plasterboard fixings (absolutely fantastic things for anyone who hasnt used them before no issue using them as have mounted umpteen TVs over the years with them and to date nothings fell off yet

absolute pig do to on my own could really have used a second or third pair of hands due to the size.
next up cable manage the desks and add a C2 48" for desktop duties to replace the current AOC 32 or go triple display same as the office for true work from home luxuries

Last edited:
Soldato

cables all chased and tv mounted using Gripit plasterboard fixings (absolutely fantastic things for anyone who hasnt used them before no issue using them as have mounted umpteen TVs over the years with them and to date nothings fell off yet

absolute pig do to on my own could really have used a second or third pair of hands due to the size.
next up cable manage the desks and add a C2 48" for desktop duties to replace the current AOC 32 or go triple display same as the office for true work from home luxuries
Bloody hell, good effort on a 70"! I've done 55" on my own but usually prefer an extra pair of hands as it's hairy trying to line up onto the mount.

Last 77" TV I mounted was our company boardroom and it had lift handles built into the chassis!

Soldato
its not that heavy at 28kg but just awkward to line up the mount. ended up doing it from up a ladder and lifting it onto the brackets from the middle its its on usind a discs and wire mount.

Soldato

Another vote for Gripit plasterboard fixings. I used them on several TV wall mounts in my house and its still holding strong. Will wonder what to do when I eventually take them down and it will leave quite a big hole in the wall.

Soldato
Another vote for Gripit plasterboard fixings. I used them on several TV wall mounts in my house and its still holding strong. Will wonder what to do when I eventually take them down and it will leave quite a big hole in the wall.

cut a plug from a sheet of plasterboard to fit in the hole then a quick skim over the top,

Associate
So I didn't have before pics but here is what they looked like after:

PXL-20220629-210621036.jpg

If you look at the "stump" in the blue pot, each of the small plants in the brown pots used to be at the top of the 4 branches (1 each) but those branches were about 4 feet taller than they currently are :eek: :o i.e. I cut the tops off each branch and potted them then removed about 3-4 feet off each branch that was left (no leaves on those parts).

So this was about 2½ weeks ago. I kept the soil moist and misted the leaves twice a day to get water into the plants as, with no roots, they had to take water in through the leaves. Some.of the leaves are dying off as was to be expected.

Relieved to say it may have worked as I see what appear to be the start of some white roots appearing in the drain holes and also at the top of the pots.

Another week or 2 should hopefully see more as the roots develop and then I can repot in a couple of months and tidy up the foliage (remove dead leaves).

Not sure if I'll get anything from the stump but it's a little early yet

Potentially a bit premature but I am pretty happy it appears to have worked as it was quite a big hack job on a plant I have had for nearly 2 decades and through house moves.

How are the Yukka's? :)

Soldato
How are the Yukka's? :)

Oof, I forgot to update... They are doing really well actually.

Not only have the "cuttings" rooted and started developing leaves again from the top but the "stump" that was left (which I thought I had probably lost) has started new growths on all 4 branches with multiples on a couple of the branches. I'm going to end up with around 8 new branches from the original 4 making it even bigger eventually :o :cry:

Images here (cuttings then overall stump and close ups of each branch showing new growth)... You can see some of the lower leaves on the cuttings were sun damaged prior to cutting but I left them for now so as not to stress the plants even more than it would by cutting them from the main tree. I will trim them in a few weeks and that'll tidy them up. The new leaves are all fresh and green.

Direct sunlight appeared to trigger growth from the stump as I had it behind the patio door and the 2 facing the glass with direct sun were growing and none on the back 2... Now the back 2 are starting since it's been outside on a South facing garden (every day is a school day)

PXL-20220803-190021420.jpg

PXL-20220803-190029313.jpg

PXL-20220803-190037331.jpg

PXL-20220803-190043487.jpg

PXL-20220803-190050037.jpg

PXL-20220803-190113963.jpg

PXL-20220803-190118535.jpg

Quite pleased and relieved as this has been with me for 15 years so I'll admit I am a slightly attached to the resilient little bugger :cry:

The only issue is I don't know what to do with them all. I went from 1 plant to 5. I hadn't planned on all of them surviving... Some "gifts" incoming for people :cry:.

Associate
@Richie amazing!

I have two Yukka's, one in the bathroom and the office, both are booming in this warm weather.

I have a dragon plant which when I worked away, it lost everything when we had a really cold snap, I was left with a twig. Never had the heart to chuck.

14 years on and its growing but its the most ugly plant ever! Honestly, its got these spindly little stalks, with tufts, I keep threatening it. :D

Great pic's, love the original stump! Well happy it worked out. :)

Soldato
Oof, I forgot to update... They are doing really well actually.

Not only have the "cuttings" rooted and started developing leaves again from the top but the "stump" that was left (which I thought I had probably lost) has started new growths on all 4 branches with multiples on a couple of the branches. I'm going to end up with around 8 new branches from the original 4 making it even bigger eventually :o :cry:

Images here (cuttings then overall stump and close ups of each branch showing new growth)... You can see some of the lower leaves on the cuttings were sun damaged prior to cutting but I left them for now so as not to stress the plants even more than it would by cutting them from the main tree. I will trim them in a few weeks and that'll tidy them up. The new leaves are all fresh and green.

Direct sunlight appeared to trigger growth from the stump as I had it behind the patio door and the 2 facing the glass with direct sun were growing and none on the back 2... Now the back 2 are starting since it's been outside on a South facing garden (every day is a school day)

PXL-20220803-190021420.jpg

PXL-20220803-190029313.jpg

PXL-20220803-190037331.jpg

PXL-20220803-190043487.jpg

PXL-20220803-190050037.jpg

PXL-20220803-190113963.jpg

PXL-20220803-190118535.jpg

Quite pleased and relieved as this has been with me for 15 years so I'll admit I am a slightly attached to the resilient little bugger :cry:

The only issue is I don't know what to do with them all. I went from 1 plant to 5. I hadn't planned on all of them surviving... Some "gifts" incoming for people :cry:.
Love this. Yukkan't kill em! :p

Soldato
I have a dragon plant which when I worked away, it lost everything when we had a really cold snap, I was left with a twig. Never had the heart to chuck.

14 years on and its growing but its the most ugly plant ever! Honestly, its got these spindly little stalks, with tufts, I keep threatening it. :D

Might be worth considering cutting it right back albeit I know how daunting that sounds... You just never know if it will come back.

I don't know anything about Dragon plants but they appear similar to the Yukka so may respond in the same way.

Associate
Did my first ever drywall skim coat today.
Relieved that I have a sander :D

Spent the evening on YouTube and discovered most people seem to thin the readymix joint filler, which I had assumed came at the right consistency.

Soldato
I stuck the rubber seals back on to the bottom of the door of my focus. It's a common problem and I often see other focuses with theirs dangling out of the door. I used contact adhesive for the driver door and it's been fine for over a year so I've done the same now for the two back doors.

Back
Top Bottom