What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Attempted to install an exterior tap. Completely burnt my drill motor out when drilling my final hole through a solid brick wall. Note to self, use manlier tools next time..

Man of Honour
Considering a small wildlife pond somewhere in the garden. There aren’t many free spots, but I miss not having a pond and we have loads of frogs and the like in the garden that would no doubt enjoy it.

Soldato
I'm waiting for a reason to buy myself a cheap sds drill. Drilling a 22mm hole through an exterior wall would be a perfect excuse
In my job I had to drill big holes and found it easier if you drill a small one first -say 6mm then work up especially if it's a long hole.

Also never try with a ordinary drill -SDS at minimum. I have a Lidl cheapo and it certainly does the job -also have a 4kg SDS but that is hard work due to weight but prefect 22mm hole borer. Remember slow and steady.

Soldato
In my job I had to drill big holes and found it easier if you drill a small one first -say 6mm then work up especially if it's a long hole.

Also never try with a ordinary drill -SDS at minimum. I have a Lidl cheapo and it certainly does the job -also have a 4kg SDS but that is hard work due to weight but prefect 22mm hole borer. Remember slow and steady.
Also pilot drill first. Even if I'm going to end at 6 or 8mm, I start at 5mm

Soldato
My Mrs has taken the kids shopping for holiday clothes and had the perfect excuse to stay home, cut the grass and do a bit of weeding (going with them shopping is my idea of hell)

Grass cut

IMG-20220724-112404-01.jpg

IMG-20220724-112429-01.jpg

The weather then brightened up so decided to sit on the front porch and have a celebratory coffee :D

IMG-20220724-090555-01.jpg

Associate
Reinforced the front of the summerhouse roof with 2x1 before fitting new bargeboards. Chunks of it are rotten and I should strip back further, but this will get it through another year or two.

Soldato
A bit of drivel to start with.

Found another project - Got a mate who had a call from one of his mates wife who asked if he would like to clear out her deceased husbands garage.
People of our age love doing that because there is always something they have kept for a rainy day and it might be usefull - So he bought it home and it sat in his garage for a while so he asked me if I wanted it (Them) Turned out to be three pipe wrenches (Stilsons)
I gave one to the post man as he came when I was having a clear out so he also had a toolbox -screwdrivers and one of the wrenches.
One wrench was near brand new but the other was a bit rusty and tatty.Quite big at 18" -Its also sat in my garage for a year or so -
I have now started to refurbish it and cleaned it up a bit - It has a name of Wraforge stamped on handle and also patent pending so after a load of googling I found out they no longer exist as that name but did find they had also put in for a Patent on these wrenches and they called them Stilsons -
They also went to the 1950 Industrial show and thats where I lost the name - I can only assume they were taken over - Their factory was not far from where I used to live - I was in Quinton (Brum) and the factory was on industrial site down Mucklows Hill near Halesowen.

This isn't going to be a posh refurb - just going to paint them black with the name recesses red ( I have both colours in Hammerite and don't want to spend a lot of money. The only thing I have to replace is the rivet holding it together - might just use a nut and bolt. I can find some stainless steel ones - they will stick out a bit but can change it if something else turns up.

fT2AI9r.jpg

Soldato
A bit of drivel to start with.

Found another project - Got a mate who had a call from one of his mates wife who asked if he would like to clear out her deceased husbands garage.
People of our age love doing that because there is always something they have kept for a rainy day and it might be usefull - So he bought it home and it sat in his garage for a while so he asked me if I wanted it (Them) Turned out to be three pipe wrenches (Stilsons)
I gave one to the post man as he came when I was having a clear out so he also had a toolbox -screwdrivers and one of the wrenches.
One wrench was near brand new but the other was a bit rusty and tatty.Quite big at 18" -Its also sat in my garage for a year or so -
I have now started to refurbish it and cleaned it up a bit - It has a name of Wraforge stamped on handle and also patent pending so after a load of googling I found out they no longer exist as that name but did find they had also put in for a Patent on these wrenches and they called them Stilsons -
They also went to the 1950 Industrial show and thats where I lost the name - I can only assume they were taken over - Their factory was not far from where I used to live - I was in Quinton (Brum) and the factory was on industrial site down Mucklows Hill near Halesowen.

This isn't going to be a posh refurb - just going to paint them black with the name recesses red ( I have both colours in Hammerite and don't want to spend a lot of money. The only thing I have to replace is the rivet holding it together - might just use a nut and bolt. I can find some stainless steel ones - they will stick out a bit but can change it if something else turns up.

fT2AI9r.jpg
Nut and bolt deffo easiest (I'd go nylon if that route), I assume the normals "rivets" they use are just thin bits of bar with the ends piened over (not sure on that spelling tbh), if so could do that but not sure it will make much difference other than being flatter.

Soldato
The rivet hole is 9.5mm and will have to drill it out to 10mm because of slight wear and tear.

It has also bought on another man job. -I have a Machine Mart bench grinder that is years old and noisy but also have the FIL Bosch grinder I had when he died -A lot smaller but takes same size discs but then there isn't the room under the disk to be of much use - So found a thick piece of wood and cut it to size and screwed it to the wooden base I have it on.

Bit more wiggle room - Also it is remarkably quiet - just hum's - such a joy to use.

Back
Top Bottom