What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
OP
I made awesome progress last night with the TV wall in the kitchen.

Y5BFfQKl.jpg

Yes, that is 2 pencil lines drawn level on the wall. I know.
I need to spur off that socket on the left, and add another on the right to the end of the pencil lines. But as you can see there is a section of wall that sticks out there. I don't really know what's in it. lol
This is the end of my kitchen which is extended and has a pitched roof above it. The power wires going into the socket actually come in from the top (probs due to underfloor heating?) and go out again as well so assume it is not the last one on loop. I was going to basically just channel from left, all along the wall to the new location and try to sort of drill/multi tool out the wall behind the pillar bit, as opposed to channelling literally around the outside of the pillar bit. My concern is that inside the pillar bit is some kind of steel support. Or it could be brick? That outside wall is double brick thickness and bare plaster rendered straight onto the wall internally. The pillar bit sounds a mixture of hollow and solid. What would you do? Make some discovery drill holes?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would make a small test drill to see what was being pushed out by the drill.
Is that wall either side of that support, brick or plasterboard.

It's plaster on brick. None of it is plasterboard I don't think. Silly question, the "support" we are calling it, would never be added for purely decorative purposes would it? i.e. It must exist as a support as such. It is about the shape/size of a single brick actually looking at it. Perhaps an RSJ sits above each support. There is one identical the other side of the back of the kitchen if you were to turn 180degreess and look behind you from the pic above.

Soldato
is there not a steel in the ceiling holding up the original wall above from the extension?

It’s not thick enough to be a soil stack so it being a support column is the obvious answer.

It may be better to split the ring in the ceiling than chase through a structural support. It depends on how big a hole you intend to make.

Soldato
It's plaster on brick. None of it is plasterboard I don't think. Silly question, the "support" we are calling it, would never be added for purely decorative purposes would it? i.e. It must exist as a support as such. It is about the shape/size of a single brick actually looking at it. Perhaps an RSJ sits above each support. There is one identical the other side of the back of the kitchen if you were to turn 180degreess and look behind you from the pic above.

It is possible that they are supports for an RSJ and would imo look a bit odd if added just for decorations purposes.

If me, I would check out the support first and if enough room would drill at a slight angle both sides, to almost make a channel that would run behind the support.

Soldato
OP
is there not a steel in the ceiling holding up the original wall above from the extension?

It’s not thick enough to be a soil stack so it being a support column is the obvious answer.

It may be better to split the ring in the ceiling than chase through a structural support. It depends on how big a hole you intend to make.

It is possible that they are supports for an RSJ and would imo look a bit odd if added just for decorations purposes.

If me, I would check out the support first and if enough room would drill at a slight angle both sides, to almost make a channel that would run behind the support.

Sorry for poor info/pics. Above that "support" is simply a pitched ground floor roof. So the back of my kitchen has been extended out a few meters and a pitched roof added with sky light windows in. So the outer most part of the roof hanging above the bifolds to the left of the pic, is probably supported by an RSJ running across the back of the kitchen, set above each support column.
If I try to take the socket feed from inside the ceiling I don't know if the RSJ presumed to be in place will also become a factor getting from one side to the other of it. Hmm. Alternative is that I could grab a feed from the downlights in the ceiling but I know that's majorly frowned upon as light circuit should remain separate and will be fused down to probably 6amps. I mean it will only be a TV and very low power stuff but still...

Soldato
I wouldn’t pull a feed from the downlights. It’s frowned upon and someone at some point is going to plug something >6A into the socket and wonder why the lights went off.

You might be able to drill through it as you’d only need a 12mm hole for a single cable but I’d get some advice from someone who knows what they are doing which isn’t me on that front.

Edit: as above trunking is the other obvious answer and doesn’t have to look completely nasty if done right.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Surface mounted trunking? Wash your mouths out. ;)
I'm not qualified either. That's generally a requirement upon entering thread. ;) I think the options are as I imagined:

1: Channel out literally around and on the pillar support which is presumably made of brick. Hopefully will not affect structure if I don't go to deep.
or
2: Try going through/behind the support.

I feel like 2 will make a massive mess and be a PITA angling the hole but would be the better one for maintaining structural support.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are going to go through the support, it wants to be at the back behind the plasterboard where it joins the existing wall.

Depending on how it was built it may have a vertical mortar line which is non-structural which you can just safely drill through.

An SDS will make mincemeat of any block work.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When I said why do you need an extra socket, what I meant was you've already got a socket right there, so you could just use an extension lead, albeit with some trunking or something else to hide it if necessary.

"Right there" being a couple of metres away behind a pillar. I'd prefer a clean look and don't want to run trunking to be honest. I have done don't get me wrong but I want a socket there otherwise things get complicated and cluttered.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I made awesome progress last night with the TV wall in the kitchen.

Y5BFfQKl.jpg

Yes, that is 2 pencil lines drawn level on the wall. I know.
I need to spur off that socket on the left, and add another on the right to the end of the pencil lines. But as you can see there is a section of wall that sticks out there. I don't really know what's in it. lol
This is the end of my kitchen which is extended and has a pitched roof above it. The power wires going into the socket actually come in from the top (probs due to underfloor heating?) and go out again as well so assume it is not the last one on loop. I was going to basically just channel from left, all along the wall to the new location and try to sort of drill/multi tool out the wall behind the pillar bit, as opposed to channelling literally around the outside of the pillar bit. My concern is that inside the pillar bit is some kind of steel support. Or it could be brick? That outside wall is double brick thickness and bare plaster rendered straight onto the wall internally. The pillar bit sounds a mixture of hollow and solid. What would you do? Make some discovery drill holes?
How competent are you with a mitre saw? Could use rebated skirting similar to this https://www.skirting4u.co.uk/skirting-boards/torus-2-mdf-skirting-board and then just have 2 vertical chases. Vertical chases are safe zone compliant, cable behind skirting is surface mounted in a suitable product which if I remember correctly is all regs say about it.

Back
Top Bottom