What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Yeah - I ain't knocking the food but there is kind of an upper limit where I just don't see what your actually paying for.

Not having a pop @the-evaluator at you personally - your money to do what you want by all means, but at £180 a head for the food just seems way over the top.

I've paid £400 or so for a meal, wine, liquors etc for 4 people but £700 for two is mental.

Soldato
I'd pay that, especially now it has the-evaluator approval :) They produce food at a much higher standard than I can do myself. It's easy to make nicer curries and pizza than high street places but not the fine dining places.

Soldato
Back from KL and here are some food pics as promised. First up, Jalan Alor, which is a street lined with SE Asian restaurants and myriad stalls/colours/smells/people.

The madness:

07ivAZj.jpg

Fried stuffz:

uu6589E.jpg

We tried the squid for £1.60:

uhmQX6q.jpg

Unfried stuff:

MRFNe0U.jpg

Fried sweet stuff:

30SXT4Q.jpg

Durian fruit, bleurgh, but a smell you have to get used to in Malaysia:

S1QwCkJ.jpg

Other fruit, including mangosteens (delish), rambutan (also delish), dragon fruit (delish), lychees (not my bag)...

UGUTnAc.jpg

We sat down and had prawns, clams, duck, rice and veg, with two large beers for £35, which is definitely tourist prices:

8JwrHGh.jpg

95qimm0.jpg

DE56teP.jpg

4vmhQKl.jpg

There is lots of Indian food in KL, here are two masala dosas from different places:

This one was £1.05 including the bottle of water:

TGCXIam.jpg

And this was 90p:

X22eDf3.jpg

We found a German restaurant!!!! Delicious schweinshaxen (pork knuckle) with sauerkraut and potato salad for £15:

Qkbltd8.jpg

We had Balinese. Squid salad starter for £2.50, somewhere between thai papaya salad and salt and pepper squid:

mImpewg.jpg

I had Balinese lamb for £6 and she had the fish for £6.50:

E8gvZqZ.jpg

jz0qvZK.jpg

Other stuff we had,with no pics, was Arabian kebabs and Greek salad for £15, tandoori chicken naan wraps for £1.60 each, various trad malaysian nasi (rice) dishes, eg with chicken, curry sauces, and sambal for £2.30, fresh coconut to drink at £2.20.

Also saw this and wondered about the seasoning:

eWEI8lh.jpg

Fantastic place, a foody heaven.

kai

kai

Soldato
We had a trip to more for my wife's 30th. For one night , we tried Acquolina (1 star)

We decided on the chefs menu, with a wine flight. They provided a glass of champagne on the house and a special dessert when they asked if we was there for a special occasion.

xXwCqJa.jpg

GaJiZuF.jpg

8pfxRN5.jpg

AakAafd.jpg

Although 7 courses, i think we had at least 3 pallet cleanser or intros before the next course i.e. Excluding the amuse bouche

EW1hjSt.jpg

Associate
Back from KL and here are some food pics as promised. First up, Jalan Alor, which is a street lined with SE Asian restaurants and myriad stalls/colours/smells/people.

Where is KL?
The madness:

07ivAZj.jpg

Fried stuffz:

uu6589E.jpg

We tried the squid for £1.60:

uhmQX6q.jpg

Unfried stuff:

MRFNe0U.jpg

Fried sweet stuff:

30SXT4Q.jpg

Durian fruit, bleurgh, but a smell you have to get used to in Malaysia:

S1QwCkJ.jpg

Other fruit, including mangosteens (delish), rambutan (also delish), dragon fruit (delish), lychees (not my bag)...

UGUTnAc.jpg

We sat down and had prawns, clams, duck, rice and veg, with two large beers for £35, which is definitely tourist prices:

8JwrHGh.jpg

95qimm0.jpg

DE56teP.jpg

4vmhQKl.jpg

There is lots of Indian food in KL, here are two masala dosas from different places:

This one was £1.05 including the bottle of water:

TGCXIam.jpg

And this was 90p:

X22eDf3.jpg

We found a German restaurant!!!! Delicious schweinshaxen (pork knuckle) with sauerkraut and potato salad for £15:

Qkbltd8.jpg

We had Balinese. Squid salad starter for £2.50, somewhere between thai papaya salad and salt and pepper squid:

mImpewg.jpg

I had Balinese lamb for £6 and she had the fish for £6.50:

E8gvZqZ.jpg

jz0qvZK.jpg

Other stuff we had,with no pics, was Arabian kebabs and Greek salad for £15, tandoori chicken naan wraps for £1.60 each, various trad malaysian nasi (rice) dishes, eg with chicken, curry sauces, and sambal for £2.30, fresh coconut to drink at £2.20.

Also saw this and wondered about the seasoning:

eWEI8lh.jpg

Fantastic place, a foody heaven.
Wh

Soldato
Not last night as such, but on the way back from viewing a car in Kettering with the wife and kids in tow, having missed out on breakfast* and lunch stopped in at this diner on the A14.
https://www.herbiesdiner.co.uk/

It's location is suitably tacky next to a Travelodge on the side of the road, but it was clean, friendly, ambiance was almost out of a film, and the food was spot on.
I had the Rockabilly with bacon cheese fries and a couple of craft lagers (wife agreed to drive the remainder of the journey). Kids were both happy with burgers from the children's menu and were blown away by the milkshakes. Wife had a very large serving of nachos.
The only thing that would have made the experience better would have been arriving in a v8 Mustang.

* The wife and kids were sensible enough to have some breakfast before we left for Kettering

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
That looks great! Did you agree on a best dish? How were the wine selections?

John Dory was the stand-out dish for me, while my wife went for the passion fruit cheesecake! The wine selection was different, not what i would have selected but really excellent. Each wine was white, due to it being a fish and pasta restaurant.

Wine 1 : Mesa Opel - this was my favorite
Wine 2: 2006 ,Edi Kante
Wine 3 (failed to catch)
Wine 4: Antinori Muffato Della Sala 50cl 2010

Don
Back at Alchemilla at weekend for 3rd visit, first time since they got Michelin star and first time on kitchen table, absolutely stunning it was, place just keeps getting better

Back
Top Bottom