What retro things have you done today?

Those are not a million miles from me but a starting bid of £100 is beyond what I am willing to spend on retro stuff these days! The Brighton one though is interesting given it comes with quite a lot of stuff.

I'm thinking of pulling together a fast-ish 98 PC and I am not sure if I want to go for socket 754 or 478. I've used both in the past and they've both been fine. It wouldn't be a high end 754 chip so I wouldn't be too worried by my modern power supply not keeping up. What's peoples preference?
I would go with Socket 754 or even 939, you can still find cheap motherboards and CPUs, great choice for heatsinks too. Socket 478 is a pain to get heatsinks and higher speed CPUs now, getting more and more expensive.
Talking about Socket 754, I just managed to get the 3700+, I've been looking for one for a couple of years, but back then I considered them too expensive and after that they were gone for good from Ebay.

In the end I saw an MSI 478 board that is quite old with a 533MHz bus, which suits me for my Windows 98 usage. I got it for £8 plus £3.50 postage. Comes with a cooler and I've got a 2GHz Willamette (I think it is) to go in it but I might spend a couple of £ on a ubiquitous 2.4B GHz Northwood.

In the end I saw an MSI 478 board that is quite old with a 533MHz bus, which suits me for my Windows 98 usage. I got it for £8 plus £3.50 postage. Comes with a cooler and I've got a 2GHz Willamette (I think it is) to go in it but I might spend a couple of £ on a ubiquitous 2.4B GHz Northwood.
Haha was that the one on ebay with £11 or best offer? I went to go buy that and it had gone......SWINE! :D :D

Install windows 98 and get some sort of rudimentary dos soundcard drivers going and list on ebay for £100.
Title it RETRO GAMING PC **LOOK**
Include a screenshot of it running doom.

Profit
It's amazingly how bizarrely true it is!

I was contemplating an old dimension 4000 to build a sleeper in, did it years ago and was great fun...you can fit a 9800GX2 in them :D. Problem is they are now worth a fortune if you are an ebay seller

It's amazingly how bizarrely true it is!

I was contemplating an old dimension 4000 to build a sleeper in, did it years ago and was great fun...you can fit a 9800GX2 in them :D. Problem is they are now worth a fortune if you are an ebay seller
eBay is full of those types of sales and they do seem to sell too which I find odd. I guess some people just see it running doom and think yep I can relive my youth on that.

You should do it!

Im having real trouble doing the ATX mod on my dell so might repurpose the case as a sleeper :D

ahh yes i have a half height one, nvidia A2000 lol may be too much for it, but do have various other low profile quadro cards. will see what igpu can do, maybe it can do quake with opengl?
Not sure what OS you were looking at using but I have a half height X1550 PCI (Non e) sat doing nothing in the garage if that was to become of help to you

Back
Top Bottom