What retro things have you done today?

Swear I saw someone with one seatbelted in their car on facebook yesterday!
Very very nice find! Are you going to replace the PSU in it? Saw a video recently where you can replace all the internals with modern parts
That was me then. :p

I'm not sure what the plan is. I am wary about trying to switch it on. Although I suspect it may be fine.

I originally bought it to flip, but was so amazed when I unboxed everything that I'm not sure I can.

Later that day, it let out the magic smoke. :p

BtBCv31h.jpg

The notorious RIFA capacitor blew up, as a friend warned me it might!

rbMBrbU.jpg

vUD1P8l.png

I've emailed a local vintage TV repair place to see if they can solder a new one on for me.

I could probably do it myself but I'd rather not.

Last edited:
Did it stink?!
Ive spent 4 hours installing and trying to set up windows ME on a 486 because a poll told me to. Cannot get VGA drivers to install or CDROM to work in windows!!
Everytime I edit autoexec and config.sys and restart windows is restoring them to what they were!

Later that day, it let out the magic smoke. :p

BtBCv31h.jpg

The notorious RIFA capacitor blew up, as a friend warned me it might!

rbMBrbU.jpg

vUD1P8l.png

I've emailed a local vintage TV repair place to see if they can solder a new one on for me.

I could probably do it myself but I'd rather not.

Easy repair with the moder safety cap. Probably not the only RIFA in there (they got used for mains line filtering).

Easy repair with the moder safety cap. Probably not the only RIFA in there (they got used for mains line filtering).
I think its the only one, or at least, its the only one that is known to fail with regularity.

Some variants have two, mine has just the one.

(not my pic) - https://www.applefritter.com/files/styles/95-percent/public/2019/05/08/powersupply3.jpg

If all else fails - https://www.willsconsolemodifications.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

Last edited:
Sellers pics. Its en-route to me now :)

Slot 1 AT board. Nice looking AT/ATX crossover case.
Integrated speakers in the CDRom bay like LGR showed recently.

Says it powers on but they couldnt get a VGA card to work. Could be a fun project. Hope it survives postage!

Got to love some PC Chips!
Wow 72pin EDO simms on a Slot1 motherboard - bet the performance of that is interesting :D

(According to the manual it even supports mixing 2 72pin EDO simms with a 168pin EDO dimm!!!)

Wow 72pin EDO simms on a Slot1 motherboard - bet the performance of that is interesting :D

(According to the manual it even supports mixing 2 72pin EDO simms with a 168pin EDO dimm!!!)
I know that PC Chips have had their fair share of criticism for outright fraud(cache) and cheapness. But you can not deny they also did some pretty interesting if not silly things as well!

My main 486 uses a PC Chips M918 and I stand by that board, besides having to replace a transistor it performs really well and has real cache.

I know that PC Chips have had their fair share of criticism for outright fraud(cache) and cheapness. But you can not deny they also did some pretty interesting if not silly things as well!
To be fair to them, they were similar to ASRock's earlier boards - often interesting solutions that allowed you to upgrade things piece by piece to save money, rather than having to do a whole platform change at once (i.e. mobo/cpu/ram). Unfortunately that often was a compromise in terms of performance, and what reviewers tended to focus on.

Back
Top Bottom