What retro things have you done today?

Bit of a busta really. The P2B does not power on at all other than the power supply spinning up. Ive changed the CMOS battery and swapped out different RAM and a different CPU and checked the jumpers.

The Mercury Socket A board is similar. Tried a different power supply too! I straighted out the CPU pins and it took a bit of wiggling to get the CPU in so it could be an unhappy CPU/seating but not sure I want to spent more money on a new CPU. it's an Athlon xp 2400.

The AM2 board works fine with it's Athlon but I can't test the Socket 754 MSI Neo board as somehow I don't have a 754 CPU anymore.

The vibra works fine though woo. after messing around with crap PCI sound cards this actually sounds good! I'm cheering myself up with some Woodtick music

Last edited:
£20 loot crate!

Most of the loose GPUs are bent to pieces and have surface mounts knocked off.. But not all of them, and some were boxed :)
Also the PSUs are FSP oem units with 27a 5v rails and weigh a lot! Am I right in thinking FSP were a good oem?
The highlights of the haul (Not tested the PSUs yet)

STB Systems RIVA 128 4mb. AGP
Sapphire Radeon 7000 32mb PCI
Sapphire Radeon 9250 64mb PCI
All now tested and working!

Nice couple of cards there. I should test out the PCI 7000 I got in my **** bundle. Are you going to sell or keep for their usefulness?
I am on the fence about it. I want a couple of upgrades to my YT set up and selling these could benefit that. Buuuuut they would be very handy to have around! With the exception of the RIVA 128.
If a few of those PSUs work I am really in business of being able to set up multiple systems. Right now I have 2 PSUs and 8 cases for potential builds. Probably 6 or 7 motherboards too.

found some old power supplies lying in the shed.
the enermax one is weird, its got silly 46a on 5v rail and only 24a on the 12v rail. useless in this day and age lol.
psu.jpg

also rummaging through my old pc pics, iv come across the hp mini pc, i knew i had one but cant remember where i put it. the shed comes to mind but its a right mess there cant find the simplest of things since everything gets lobbed on top of everything else:
hp-epc.jpg

im sure this was a pentium 3 800 or 1ghz and i had upgraded ram to maybe 128mb or possibly 256mb. maybe one day it will turn up.

Added a little cosmetic touch to the main retro rig today. I'd been after a CD-ROM bezel for a while for my Lian Li and came across one on ebay for a reasonable price so grabbed it. Think it finishes off the exterior nicely. I ain't really got anything to add to this PC now. Its pretty much perfect for my retro gaming.

Fx38aFQh.jpg
ROBMV4sh.jpg

also rummaging through my old pc pics, iv come across the hp mini pc, i knew i had one but cant remember where i put it. the shed comes to mind but its a right mess there cant find the simplest of things since everything gets lobbed on top of everything else:
hp-epc.jpg

im sure this was a pentium 3 800 or 1ghz and i had upgraded ram to maybe 128mb or possibly 256mb. maybe one day it will turn up.
There is a P4 one of those on ebay atm but no propriatary PSU. Looks like a 6pin pci power connector.

Yeah they're not great, although not as bad as those Qtec gold PSUs!
oh yep got scammed on a 650w one for 15 quid from local shop. was cheapo but again back then no reviews where people open up the psu and score it on its parts or do proper ripple testing with scopes etc.

BT2.jpg

oh the shame.. but never failed while in my possession and worked fine. was replaced once power psu reviews started coming out on johnnyguru website.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom