What retro things have you done today?

Associate
The front panel header being different isn't the end of the world - I can't think of much harm you could do by shorting them in pairs to see which one is power, which is reset...

Yeah I guess trial and error works, but was hoping for something a little more straightforward. Power button isn't an issue as there's a separate 2-pin header for 'remote power' which has the same functionality, but reset and hdd/power leds... no idea currently. Reset switch is particularly useful to have on the occasions when Win98 goes a bit funky and/or you have a cd spinning in the drive and it won't let you eject.

Those caps are fairly easy to replace. You have held a soldering iron before so you will be fine!

Arent those boards pretty valuable? on the 3dfx page I have seen people getting very excited over an integrated 3dfx motherboard. Unless there are others..?

I think I'll probably have a go at replacing them in the coming weeks (is there a reputable source for genuine branded caps like Rubycon etc?). Will give the board a quick test to bios before buying anything though, should be able to at least get that far...

After thoroughly inspecting the board there are in fact two caps that need replacing, and they're both next to each other with the same rating (1500uf, 6.3v). I missed the second one because the bulge on the top is very subtle compared to the obviously failed one. Every other cap on the board seems fine, including those in close proximity to the failed ones (although they are rated for higher capacity and/or voltage so that may be why). To be honest before bidding on the listing I did spot the one that looked iffy in the photo, but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting (pics weren't the best). Hey ho.

As for value, not sure really? Problem is anything that says 3dfx tends to be listed at silly money now, and a lot of sellers on eBay try their luck with stupid prices. There's an identical board to the one I just bought where the seller wants 500 us dollars for it, which is just ridiculous. The seller I bought mine from didn't appear to know what he had though, as it was just listed as a vintage slot 1 motherboard with a P3.

Soldato
Yeah I guess trial and error works, but was hoping for something a little more straightforward. Power button isn't an issue as there's a separate 2-pin header for 'remote power' which has the same functionality, but reset and hdd/power leds... no idea currently. Reset switch is particularly useful to have on the occasions when Win98 goes a bit funky and/or you have a cd spinning in the drive and it won't let you eject.

I think I'll probably have a go at replacing them in the coming weeks (is there a reputable source for genuine branded caps like Rubycon etc?). Will give the board a quick test to bios before buying anything though, should be able to at least get that far...

After thoroughly inspecting the board there are in fact two caps that need replacing, and they're both next to each other with the same rating (1500uf, 6.3v). I missed the second one because the bulge on the top is very subtle compared to the obviously failed one. Every other cap on the board seems fine, including those in close proximity to the failed ones (although they are rated for higher capacity and/or voltage so that may be why). To be honest before bidding on the listing I did spot the one that looked iffy in the photo, but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting (pics weren't the best). Hey ho.

As for value, not sure really? Problem is anything that says 3dfx tends to be listed at silly money now, and a lot of sellers on eBay try their luck with stupid prices. There's an identical board to the one I just bought where the seller wants 500 us dollars for it, which is just ridiculous. The seller I bought mine from didn't appear to know what he had though, as it was just listed as a vintage slot 1 motherboard with a P3.

Well one sold for £175 on the 2nd of feb! (I always look at sold listings to get a feel for what people are actually paying vs what things are being liste for.)

Seems you got a bargain :)

Its probably a good shout to replace all of the caps as sometimes they can go bad without any visual signs. Plus you wouldnt want them throwing any goo over that lovely board!

Associate
Just searched and you're right, that's a bit mad... you could buy a decent slot 1 agp board and a separate 3dfx card for less! I guess it's just because it's not common to find one? (Presumably most got binned over the years).

You're probably right about replacing them all, just debating if I have the confidence to do that myself really. With regards to the minor small caps (i.e. around the Creative sound chip, ram slots) - could they be considered safe to leave, and just replace the heftier ones?

Edit: Think the reason the board isn't very common now is due to the caps - looking again they're all from Chhsi and Jpcon, which are listed on badcaps website.

Last edited:
Soldato
Broke one of my orginal HDDs today pushing in an IDE cable that had the pin blanked off. (The cable was upside down.)

Quite annoyed at that and was already tired hence the mistake! :(

Soldato
Wow haha... I'm guessing there's one or two items in particular that you want from that bundle?
The ISA gpu caught my eye as something that could potentially be flipped to get my money back. My main interest is in some of those AGP gpus. The red ATI one looks very similar to my old 9700pro but I cant see an additional power connector so it could be something else entirely. Also the card with 2 VGA outputs could be interesting as 2x VGA was not exactly a common output. Also looks like there is a PCI ATI card which could also be fun for my socket 7 build which only has an s3 virge currently.

I think ill end up just testing everything that isnt a modem, picking a few out and then sticking the rest back on ebay!

Associate
The red ATI card looks like it could be a 9600 of some sort, possibly a 9600 pro. Not sure on the dual vga card, maybe a matrox of some sort?

Can't spot the PCI ATI card you mention, although I do see a couple of PCI SIS graphics cards. Would be interested to know what the agp card on the far left near the top is though (lying flat, has a fan).

Soldato
The red ATI card looks like it could be a 9600 of some sort, possibly a 9600 pro. Not sure on the dual vga card, maybe a matrox of some sort?

Can't spot the PCI ATI card you mention, although I do see a couple of PCI SIS graphics cards. Would be interested to know what the agp card on the far left near the top is though (lying flat, has a fan).
to the right of the red card laying flat. Looks like this:

Soldato
The longer I look at it the more interesting it gets to be honest. It also looks like a photoshop with all the cards lying on each other with shadows in odd places. In addition to the ones mentioned above, there are some cars that look interesting in there:

ajo1BUZ.png

Soldato
on vogons someone said the middle one was a tseng et3000. Looks like 8bit ISA on the photo I have but its degraded a bit after being uploaded. the EISA motherboards I have all have notches on the slots.
Just got a shipping notification and tracking its expected thursday but... Hermes :(
I did send a message asking if possible to send them in a way that the pcbs arent touching eachother but no response from that.

Associate
Off work today, so have taken the opportunity to recap a motherboard i've been meaning to do for a good while now. Board in question is a Abit BX133-Raid which i want to use for my 1400-S Tualatin.

Caps in question - 2000 era junk Jackon Caps!

hBn60VXl.jpg

5 mins later - Caps be gone!

49xkPCVl.jpg

30 mins later - New Panasonic Caps in. I need to do the top 3 which i will do this afternoon so the whole power phase is nice and refreshed!

UZdnjkyl.jpg
RejOkEOl.jpg

Quite happy with the result and should mean the board will continue to operate long into the future!

Back
Top Bottom