What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Looks and interesting machine! Soundcard looks like some vintage Sound Blaster or it could be an Aztech BX Card. What CPU is it? Is that 30-pin Simms on a stacker board?
Ive identified the soundcard as a CT1350 soundblaster 2.0 (can confirm from the positions of some caps and resistors in the pic I will attach below)

Just had a quick peek at what they are SELLING for on ebay and it appears I will not be taking a loss on this machine regardless ;)

Yes that is simms on a stacker board! never seen that before, wonder how it works?

The CPU is a potential mystery, the listing says the pc is a dx 33 but that the turbo makes it 100mhz. (the computer was listed as 486 dx-33)
I am not aware of a dx33 that would need a heatsink and fan except some odd overdrive models. So I would hazard a guess that its a dx4-100 and the turbo makes it 33mhz? Thats the best case scenario for me!

Associate
Just paid a bit too much for this:

Oops.

Time to have a proper clearout.

The problem with old hardware (for me at least) is that it's far more interesting than the new stuff! Lots of variation and sometimes quirky stuff that you just don't see in a modern setup now. Plus it's kinda fun getting something set up and working for maybe the first time in years. Much like yourself I've started to accumulate a bit too much now though, so will have to sell some of the bits I don't use that much really! I hate selling on eBay though...

Soldato
I've had a week at Centre Parcs so I haven't been up to much retro activity. Tonight however I am building the "Mega98 PC" which will have the following, assuming I can persuade them to play nice together:

"new" 650MHz P3
"Some" RAM
CF Card for storage
AGP MX440 as "primary" for DX and OGL duties
PCI Voodoo 3 2000 for Glide duties
PCI Soundblaster Live for general sound in Windows and EAX
ISA AWE32 for DOS sound duties

Soldato
I've had a week at Centre Parcs so I haven't been up to much retro activity. Tonight however I am building the "Mega98 PC" which will have the following, assuming I can persuade them to play nice together:

"new" 650MHz P3
"Some" RAM
CF Card for storage
AGP MX440 as "primary" for DX and OGL duties
PCI Voodoo 3 2000 for Glide duties
PCI Soundblaster Live for general sound in Windows and EAX
ISA AWE32 for DOS sound duties
Thats exactly what I am doing tonight! I sold one P3 then the other one died so its back to AMD.
Just finished building it and am doing the software now.

Im using athlon 1ghz.
512mb ram
Geforce 3 ti 200
soundblaster live.
16gb CF card for storage.

Will be interesting to see how it performs compared to my 1ghz p3 system which to be honest has been unstable since day 1.
The problem with old hardware (for me at least) is that it's far more interesting than the new stuff! Lots of variation and sometimes quirky stuff that you just don't see in a modern setup now. Plus it's kinda fun getting something set up and working for maybe the first time in years. Much like yourself I've started to accumulate a bit too much now though, so will have to sell some of the bits I don't use that much really! I hate selling on eBay though...

100% mate! I love tinkering and getting things working. Once they are done I lose interest. Do have an hour or so a week on retro games but not a lot really compared to the £ spent.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I fitted a new screen in my Game Boy;

ES7cggAX0AYdSVz

Soldato
I'm in one of those moods where I start building a Slot 1 PC to play Half Life on... then stop half way through because I'll also want to play Halo Combat Evolved. Tear it down, start again on a faster Socket 478 PC. Stop because I remember the USB ports aren't working. Set up my other XP PC, a socket 939. Won't recognise my much younger graphics card. Eugh... Sometimes I just need to stop!

Then I dropped my box of screws on the floor.

x8DgOWz.jpg

Mental note to self - buy a magnet some time!

I think I'll just set up my Dreamcast. In a different room!

Permabanned
I'm in one of those moods where I start building a Slot 1 PC to play Half Life on... then stop half way through because I'll also want to play Halo Combat Evolved. Tear it down, start again on a faster Socket 478 PC. Stop because I remember the USB ports aren't working. Set up my other XP PC, a socket 939. Won't recognise my much younger graphics card. Eugh... Sometimes I just need to stop!

x8DgOWz.jpg

oopsies!

Associate

Bit of a bad run that!

Which graphics card wouldn't work on the 939 setup? I've not personally encountered a card that hasn't worked yet, although to be fair I haven't tested all that many.

Soldato
If you search for "8 colour ips full size Gameboy screen" you should find it. It's a front PCB replacement too.

Well I'm looking for one for my Color but the majority seem to be from the USA. So when you add shipping and tax it becomes quite much. I was also wondering if you're was from the UK?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I'm not really sure on the GBC, I am planning to order a 'Funny Playing IPS screen' for my GBA; perhaps see if they do one for the GBC. I didn't buy mine from the UK, it came from China via Aliexpress.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I got my 'Ultimate Win98' build running today;

PJPOWEXl.jpg

Eventual plan is to dual boot this with Win98 / XP and maybe a different GPU for use with XP

GA-8I865GME-775-RH (rev. 6.6)
P4 3.0GHz (might look to swap for something that runs a bit cooler)
Voodoo 5 5500 PCI
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard
120GB SSD
mATX

Soldato
Completely gutted.
PC was packed alright, not amazing but would not have expected this amount of damage after I opened it.

It has taken one hell of a shunt to bend thick steel like that!!!
The floppy drive is a right off.
The HDD/floppy cage will need some bending to make it fit again.
The case is cracked and that bend underneath it seems very difficult to correct.
Several jumpers on the motherboard have taken such a hit that they fell to pieces.
The CPU was hit so hard it took the fan off of the heatsink(4 screws!!) and the CPU had even started to lift from the socket.
The soundcard was hit and broke some superficial plastic from the ISA slot.

It took me a while to come to terms with it and slowly take it apart and assess each part.

Somehow, after replacing the broken jumpers, bending pins back and crossing my fingers.. It actually boots.

Permabanned
I remember ordering a Amstrad monitor, the CTM644 RGB Colour Monitor, for my 6128.
On the delivery day, I had the blinds slightly open just enough to see out, but not see in - I was getting dressed. I watched in astonishment as the Yodel bloke literally threw the boxed monitor over my gate, the monitor missed the grass and landed on my path, corner first. To say it was smashed was a understatement, all the bottom plastic feet had smashed inwards pushing the main pcb upwards towards the tube. The corner that took the full brunt of my path, was smashed, and the plastic monitor shell was cracked everywhere. There was no bubblewrap protection, only old newspaper. Took 4 weeks of the seller trying everything to not refund me, in the end ebay stepped in a refunded me.

Oh, to edit. This is what I plan on doing for the next week or more.

Master-3.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom